Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design - Triple Injectors

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

First stab at a design for the 200+hp 1293cc engine for the Miglia.

Following the latest test of the siamese code showing that I need around 2500cc/min per port to achieve 250hp, then I've decided to try to fit 3 * 800cc/min injectors.

Initialy I thought I would need to fit two on top and one below. However, I think I can get all three on top by arranging the injectors as follows:

Machine the flange and pockets from a single block of alluminium to minimise the welding as so:

This is the critical path to getting the Miglia running.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

with mutiple injectors that close to each other could the sprays interacting become an issue?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Just waiting for the glue to set on my "Blue Peter" mockup - my CAD skills (or lack of) are being used on PCBs at the moment....

I don't think interaction is an issue if the centre one is stage 1 and the outer ones both stage 2.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 mini13 said:
with mutiple injectors that close to each other could the sprays interacting become an issue?

Maybe, but I'm running two spray pattern injectors close together at the moment and I don't think that it is causing any problems.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

actually thinking about it the cone would have to be pretty wide for them to converge.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Have you thought about the fuel rails? For the bottom two injectors its easy, but the top four could be tricky as there not straight is that makes sense. Just something to consider before you start fabrication.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 Rob H said:
Have you thought about the fuel rails? For the bottom two injectors its easy, but the top four could be tricky as there not straight is that makes sense. Just something to consider before you start fabrication.

Well, it is intended that the top four would be parallel and in a straight line. Hence fitting a fuel rail should be easy.

I think the close up photo appears to show them at an angle, but they are parallel.

They are Siemens injectors with a 15mm diameter body, so they can sit parallel and still feed into the port.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Right,

Couldn't wait for my glue to set so in true Blue Peter style, wood, cardboard and Fairy Liquid bottles....

Single as already proved for me.

Double as under construction but not finished.

And triple without all the glue being set.....

What is really interesting, the angle of the outer injectors actually brings them closer to the manifold so I don't have such a big worry about how far back the plenum has to go.

The fuel rail WILL be a nightmare, but that was true with my two per port design.

As you say Rob, nothing is impossible if you are an engineer, and I like a challenge.....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, I think you idea is best for spray etc.

But, how would you make the fuel rail? I think you would need to make individual "rails" for each injector and connect with flexibles.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The fuel rail will be interesting...

On the single injector per port design I just threaded the tube straight and screwed it in with (my favourite) loctite.

For multiple angles, getting the tapered threads to "bite" at the right point will be "difficult" to say the least.

So, I guess, single stubs and flexibles inbetween, BUT, with trying to get a decent angle on the stubs so the flexibles are actually "straight".

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Machine up a top hat to go over the injector, with a barbed fitting on it. Or else one of the typical AN threads.

That will leave the fuel supply pretty easy, just requiring a seperate flexible fuel line each.

Build a small remote manifold or fuel rail with multiple outlets to supply them all.

Im sure securing the rail and top hat into the manifold shouldnt be that difficult with that setup. Perhaps a small flange and some threaded rod. beside it.

Then you have a flexible system to mount injectors anywhere or any shape you want.

Was it old Cavaliers that had injectors with a barbed fitting on top ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Aug, 2009 stevieturbo said:

Was it old Cavaliers that had injectors with a barbed fitting on top ?

It certainly was - I have a set in my box of random bits...

However, they still kept the "flexible" hose absolutely straight.

EDIT - and the injector was clamped in at the bottom end rather than being trapped by the fuel rail and fuel rail clip, so there are many options on design....

Edited by Rod S on 9th Aug, 2009.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

something like this steve , ,

i think id run one close to the port then the others on top of the plenumbillium

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Robert,

Really nice in your configuration, but...

look at mine side on with just two injectors

No room for flexibles on the middle one if there were three per runner.

I think I can do it with flexibles to the outer ones, but complex.....

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Wouldn't that work with a barbed fitting on the front and the fuel rail (or distribution block) just by the rocker cover?

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Aug, 2009 jbelanger said:
Wouldn't that work with a barbed fitting on the front and the fuel rail (or distribution block) just by the rocker cover?

Jean

It would mean lifting the back of the injector... I'm trying to keep the back as low as possible as the runners are already at a bad angle to the inlet port, so adding to that bad angle just makes the alignment worse.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Bit of an update.

Changed it a bit to make it machineable.

Decided to put the two injectors at the bottom so that I could keep the port round at the face.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Do these injectors require the same bore size at the manifold and in the fuel rail? If not, do you have enough clearance between the injectors in the fuel rail? Any idea how you're going to connect the fuel rails: in parallel or in series?

That single injector is really going to splash it's fuel on the floor of the port. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad one or if it just doesn't matter.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Do these injectors require the same bore size at the manifold and in the fuel rail? If not, do you have enough clearance between the injectors in the fuel rail? Any idea how you're going to connect the fuel rails: in parallel or in series?

Yes, both 14mm so at 20mm centres, it will be relatively straightforward.

The fuel rails will be in series as my current setup on the 998 Turbo. In one rail, out the other end and back round into the other.

That single injector is really going to splash it's fuel on the floor of the port. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad one or if it just doesn't matter.

Jean

As long as we can time it to work at idle, then it will not matter too much.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

So my change,

The right one isn't down in position because the flange hasn't yet been machined for the slots, but you can get the idea....

There are lots of possibiities here.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

It may just be from the angle of the picture but it looks like you're going to have fun tightening the nuts on the manifold with the injector pockets in the way.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod,

Just make sure that the two innermost injectors are not going to fight for space.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

They are in the photo, in practice, they will clear..... Just.

The angle of the three bosses isn't quite what it seams from the photos.

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

you guys really are determined...

Would the Bosch 1600cc injectors be of any use ? once beyond the limits of say a single 650cc or thereabouts ?

3 inj per port really does seem messy...there has to be a better way.

And is it essential the injectors are mounted close to the valve ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Aug, 2009 stevieturbo said:
And is it essential the injectors are mounted close to the valve ?

Although yet to be conclusively proven, I personally think that this is what makes the difference between "port injection" and "wet manifold"/"SPI"

Even Leyland in their early write-ups noted that having the MPI injectors as close as possible to the valves was the basis of getting accurate fuel timing hence low emmisions.

I think we're more interested in getting the accurate fuel timing than low emmisions, but the principle is the same....

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design - Triple Injectors
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: