Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design - Triple Injectors

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Any way to drill the head, and adapt a Mitsi GDi system ? lol

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

robbieleeson

7 Posts
Member #: 4102

Have you thought about arranging them for a multi stage application. Im designing and making a plenum for my dissertation this year and making use of smaller injectors close to the head for lower rpm, and larger injectors further up the runner / above the runner in the plenum for higher rpm, with it being higher up the turbulence helps to atomize the fuel better hence the larger injector isn't as much of a problem, might be a nicer way of getting some more throttle response and a neater solution?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm not sure that better atomisation is a benefit in the A Series application.

Vizard makes reference to this on his website.

We are trying to get a specific slug of fuel into a particular cylinder. Fitting the injector too far back would make this more difficult.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

On 23rd Aug, 2009 Paul S said:

I noticed this in Vizzys yellow book of wonders but I never understood how this could be. I'm not questioning it but just wondering.

Edit: is it fuel distribution (droplet weight and size) rather than combustion?

Edited by Jay#2 on 23rd Aug, 2009.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

On 9th Aug, 2009 Rod S said:
So my change,

The right one isn't down in position because the flange hasn't yet been machined for the slots, but you can get the idea....

There are lots of possibiities here.

Are you timing these to fire diagonally across the port into their respective open valve ?

BTW great admiration for all you guys doing this development work

Carl

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

No,

If I go ahead with the triple (on the right) the centre will be first stage so no favouritism (sp?) and the outer two will be the second stage ones fired together, so any favouritism is cancelled out.

The problem with my original design (left) with staged injection is trying to balance out favoured valves by using the code. I'm sure it's possible, but a symettric pattern should be a lot easier.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I honestly believe that given the distance from the injector to the valve and the port size in between, placement of the injector will not favour a particular valve.

Once through the port entry between the pushrods the fuel will go to whichever valve will take it.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 23rd Aug, 2009 Jay#2 said:
On 23rd Aug, 2009 Paul S said:

I noticed this in Vizzys yellow book of wonders but I never understood how this could be. I'm not questioning it but just wondering.

Edit: is it fuel distribution (droplet weight and size) rather than combustion?

I think that this is more akin to voodoo than science :)

My take on this is that the particular shape of the A series combustion chamber favours larger droplets.

If you read through Vizard's rambling about when he was racing his Hillman Avenger in the 70s, he made great gains from removing the squish and using Dellorto carbs that atomise better than Webers. He conjected that this may explain why Dellortos did not work well on the A Series.

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

Ah I see, interesting!

naeJ
m

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

Ah I see, interesting!

naeJ
m

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is the actual article relative to his experience with the Mini.

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technical-...n-dynamics.html

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've been making swarf over the last couple of days:

Slight revision to the design - decided to mill off a lot of the unnecessary material.

Start boring tomorrow.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 4th Sep, 2009 Paul S said:
Start boring tomorrow.

How exciting, sorry couldn't resist the bad joke.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

It's a lot of machining/milling etc. isn't it ???

Same problem for me, also welding up a large plenum hence my question a while ago about the potential use of CF (or GRP) for the larger bits.

What about a small batch number "prototype" cast manifold if there was enough interest and could agree a common design ???

Just a thought, another of my mad moments.....

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Slight revision to the design - decided to mill off a lot of the unnecessary material.

Good, those blocks aren't particularly lightweight

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It is a lot of machining, but I've just done one side of the next block in under two hours.

I enjoy the machining. It's quite therapeutic after a stressful week.

This is when I need a CNC Mill and someone who knows how to program it.

Edited by Paul S on 4th Sep, 2009.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I enjoy the machining. It's quite therapeutic after a stressful week.

When it's going well, I agree.
When it goes wrong, it's even more stressful than the stressful week :)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Making good progress:

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I want a laithe and a garage big enough to put it in!

Looks like top work.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 13th Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
I want a laithe and a garage big enough to put it in!

Looks like top work.

Yup, me too. Would make life so much easier!

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

hario

444 Posts
Member #: 2885

Lmao..

'plenumbillium'

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Flash bugger!!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Speak to Jimster about a CNC miller, I was under the impression he was perhaps in posetion of one but no where to put it.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think that it would take me longer to make these first two using a CNC Mill. Too many new skills to learn to get the finished article. 3D CAD for starters.

But if these work and there is demand, I may take a drawing and finished article to a local shop to get a batch made.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Done a little bit more in between cleaning stoves, sweeping chimneys and cutting down a tree:

Need to see what I can do on the inside. I don't want to take too much out as it may disrupt the flow, but I don't want the fuel spray hitting the sides of the holes.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design - Triple Injectors
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: