Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Runner length

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Anyone got any formulas to calculate the optimum runner length?

The manifold on the 998 Turbo is 220mm from the inlet trumpet to the manifold face. This gives a good torquey engine off boost, but may limit the top end.

The new manifold for the Miglia is designed at only 155mm from trumpet to manifold face. As we are looking to go to 8K, then this may be about right.

Just wanted to check before I cut the runners.

I've got plenty of room in the Miglia to make it much longer, but I don't think it would be of any benefit.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I found this site:

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/artic...p?ArticleID=471

Anything form 300-350mm from valve to trumpet should give peak VE at 7000rpm.

But with the siamese inlet port you want the wave from the outer cylinder inlet valve closing ramming the inner cylinder inlet valve. Hence you want a shorter runner with a siamese inlet port........ *Confused*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I spoke with someone who knew their stuff after showing them my triple-injector manifold design a few years back (which had 12" runners) and he reckoned the design wouldn't work too well (after he understood why there were three large injectors being used). Instead, he believed a very short (read 2" or so) tapered runner is needed to minimise the siamesed port effects.

Incidentally, the guy worked for Ricardo, and is now at Ford, and knows more about CFD stuff than any of us will ever know... One of those folks that guestimates stuff in his head and is close enough to right all the time LOL - so I was going to simply do what he suggested out of the box!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 27th Sep, 2009.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

tapered which way?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

That would be tapered at the inlet to reduce the pulse energy. Reducing the pulse energy by openening up the inlet and running a very short runner would just minimise the pulse effect and shift it right up the revs out of the operating range.

That would be missing a trick in my opinion. There are benefits to be had, but not by the conventional approach due to the siamese port.

Now I reckon that the runner length needs to bring the pulse back 180 degrees earlier than the normal single port & cylinder configuration.

The reason for this is that the inner cylinder inlet valve closing will not create a pulse as the outer cylinder inlet valve opening maintains momentum in the port. Hence we want the outer cylinder inlet valve closing to give a reverse pulse at the opening of the inner cylinder inlet valve. 180 degrees earlier.

So instead of the pulse coming back 540 degrees later, we want it back in 360 degrees, 66% of the normal time. This assumes a 180 degree inlet cam duration. If you use 280 degrees in the same calculation, the answer is only 60%.

So, in my opinion, the inlet runner needs to be 60-65% of the length normally calculated for a single port and cylinder setup.

So total length needs to be around 180 to 230mm, which is quite short.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Here is a power point presentation which goes through some of the theory: http://not2fast.com/gasflow/Lecture08/Lect...v3_document.htm.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Where do you define the runner finishing and the port starting, especially on the siamese setup ???

From your openning statement you say the manifold face, but why specifically there ???

Edited by Rod S on 27th Sep, 2009.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Sep, 2009 jbelanger said:
Here is a power point presentation which goes through some of the theory: http://not2fast.com/gasflow/Lecture08/Lect...v3_document.htm.

Jean

Interesting that the presentation ends at Vizards rule of thumb equations which gave me the 300-350mm starting point above.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Sep, 2009 Rod S said:
Where do you define the runner finishing and the port starting, especially on the siamese setup ???

From your openning statement you say the manifold face, but why specifically there ???

I started talking about runner length of the manifold as that is the part that I can adjust. We need to add the port length.

The total length of the port and runner is from the inlet valve back to the entry into the runner.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

The info I gave above is assuming turbo stuff BTW - including a plenum of reasonably large volume.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th Sep, 2009 TurboDave said:
The info I gave above is assuming turbo stuff BTW - including a plenum of reasonably large volume.

I'm using the same size plenum as with the 998 Turbo, about 1600cc volume.

It's a bit large for the 998 and probably contributes to the lean tip-in I experience if I stomp on the throttle from idle, particularly when it is cold. I more or less tuned it out once the engine is up to temperature.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Dragging this up again.

In this video Vizards states that the longer the runner the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCIwAJboZuE

He specifically states that inertial ramming has a far greater impact than pulse tuning.

So should we be aiming for the longest runner that we can get under the bonnet, whatever the rev range?

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I would think that you'd run into drivability issues at some point due to the volume of the runners.

Jean

Edited by jbelanger on 21st Nov, 2010.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

What about building a set of runner extenders and check ?

The inlet I used is standart but is sat on a set of 10 mm slightly wedge shaped spacers (on the head side).

That was to get clearance, "downdraft" and more straight before the valve.

I know it is a little naive but every little helps ...

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

My existing manifold has a runner length of around 240mm. On both the 998 and the 1275 it seems to provide a lot of torque off boost.

Even though the runners are quite large in diameter at 35mm bore, this does not seem to create any problems. I've managed to get rid of the lean tip-in just off idle with a bit of acceleration enrichment.

I've done a layout that will allow another 100mm of runner length and still fit under the bonnet, although clearance is tight. That is going to add around 30% to the inertia ramming effect. I can't see how that could have any negative effects at the top end with such large diameter runners.

The potential to bring unwanted pulses into play is always there though.

I'm tempted to go longer. I can always cut it back if it does not work so well.

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Interestingly I've been doing some modelling of runner length in Ricardo Wave these last couple of weeks.

The model is of a Yamaha FZ6 engine.

I've used Heywood's formula to good agreement with the Wave models.

By using a 500mm runner (from plenum to valve head) there is a high volumetric efficiency at 8700rpm with a steep drop just after due to the wave reflection timing in the runner. Basically the reflected wave causes a low pressure at the valve and doesn't recover in time before the valve shuts.
Ve drops from 110% to 70% and results in a 20bhp loss.

Having the runner 240mm long tunes for the red line at 12300rpm. This removes the dip at 10000 rpm and retains the performance fairly well up to the tuned length.

The results make sense with the theory used. Also, as a form of validation I've compared the bhp and torque curves to yamaha data. They correlate well.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Great stuff.

I'm assuming that unlike exhaust tuning, intake tuning is about avoiding pressure pulses ocurring whilst the inlet valve is open.

Now the reflected negative pressure wave in a non-siamese port engine is presumably caused by the positive wave from the intake valve closure reaching the end of the runner and being reflected back.

So what we have to consider is that the inner cylinder inlet valve closure will not necessarily cause much of a pressure wave because the outer cylinder inlet valve is opening at the same time.

However, the closing of the outer cylinder inlet valve will cause a wave. Furthermore, it has far less time to reflect back without causing a drop in VE as it only has around 300 degrees of crank rotation before the inner cylinder inlet valve opens again. That is instead of the normal 480 degrees approx. based on an effective inlet duration of say 240 degrees.

So a shorter runner than optimum is required for an A Series.

Just need to work out the longest length you can get away.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Paul: Sounds fair enough.

I'll try and model a Siamese head over the crimbo break if I get time.

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

That will be very interesting.

I've just been reading up on Helmholtz, but I still dont get the reasonance to pulse relationship.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

v quick post as in a rush but : -
http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php...4-power!/page15

veeeery long runners on a screamer of an M10, apparently it works!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

Am I right assuming the wave tuning is not that sensible on a boosted application ?

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 23rd Nov, 2010 Advantage said:
Am I right assuming the wave tuning is not that sensible on a boosted application ?

Probably not on the exhaust side, but certainly of benefit on the inlet, in my opinion.

dan187

774 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

On 23rd Nov, 2010 Paul S said:
That will be very interesting.

I've just been reading up on Helmholtz, but I still dont get the reasonance to pulse relationship.

Yeah i'm trying to make sure i'm correctly understanding it. Have to give a presentation about it on Thurs so reading up now.

Here's some useful info:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...bc&searchtype=a

1275 EFi Turbo

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I just found some basic explanation in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_(automotive)

Looks like the intake valve opening has a more significant effect than I origianlly thought.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

A lot of the early work on this was carried out by H.W.Engleman.

Lifted from elswhere:

"Engleman postulated that the main peak of the Power/Torque curve is caused by the pipe and cylinder volume tuning as a Hermoltz resonator with a pressure peak occurring at bottom-dead-centre (bdc). This lead to the relationship:

N = ( (15 * a) / pi ) * ( (F / ( L * V ) ) ^ 0.5)

N rev / min
F meters squared
L meters
a meters / second
R Joules / Kilogram * Kelvin = 287 J/Kg K
T Degrees Kevin
V meters cubed

Where N is the engine speed in rev / min, F is the pipe cross-sectional area, L is the pipe length, a is the speed of sound in the gas, R is the Universal Gas Constant, T is the gas temperature, and V is the mean cylinder volume, which was taken by Engelman to be half the cylinder swept volume plus the clearance volume. Engelman also found that the exact correlation between the engine speed and the natural frequency of the resonating system is dependent on the engine valve timing.

a is the speed of sound, the equation is given by

a = ( (gamma * R * T) ^ 0.5 )
a ---- Speed of Sound ---- Meters/Sec
gamma ---- Ratio of Specific Heats
R ---- Universal Gas Constant ---- J/Kg K
T ---- Gas Temperature ---- Kelvin (K)
Gamma is approximately 1.4 for air and 1.35 for exhaust fumes
R is equal to 287 J/Kg K"

I'm very quickly coming to the conclusion that we do not need to factor the length of the runner due to the siamese port.

This is because the main benefits are to time the positive pressure pulse returning from the plenum to arrive as the inlet valve is closing and the piston has started the compression stroke.

More here:

http://seit.unsw.adfa.edu.au/ojs/index.php...iewFile/180/142

Edited by Paul S on 23rd Nov, 2010.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Runner length
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: