Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Prawns 1380 trackday Toy: on the rollers at Slark today

minimole23

4303 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 12th Jan, 2010 Prawn said:
it's been on a fair diet, but nothing serious or drilled yet. that's all yet to come! it's got a carbon front end, FG boot, rear beam, and alloy tank, but nothing has been lightened as of yet, more just parts replaced with lightweight.

It's hard knowing where to focus really. the engine's been untouched for years, aside from a new head and carb a year ago to up the power a tad, it was built in 2006. a year ago i finished a fairly major rebuild, and I've been enjoying it ever since really, but felt the need for more power all along.

Once it's charged, everything FG will be replaced with carbon, as well as a carbon roof, I'll probably go with ally door skins and poly carb windows, as well as replacing the nasty fiesta brakes with some alloy 4 pots.

if I could get it down to about 550kg with around 160bhp I'd be very happy indeed, that'd be around 290bhp/ton.

I'd like to get mine down to that, but doubt I'll manage it due to having 50kgs of cage in there

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

nuukuus

161 Posts
Member #: 6857
Advanced Member

Lieto / Finland

That's really nice Mini!!! I like it.
Well done Prawn!! *Clapping*

Jani

1399cc, Eaton M45 supercharger, N2O system, compression ratio 9.23:1, boost pressure 0,8bar/11.6psi.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=176816

Prawn

667 Posts
Member #: 5232
Post Whore

basingstoke

On 12th Jan, 2010 sturgeo said:
thats a good weight for a road going mini, whats the general spec of the car?

Carbon front end, rear subframe cut down to a beam axle std radius arms, Gaz coilovers all round, steel flat boot floor with 30l alloy tank, rear arches tubbed/turretted. single skin FG bootlid, debumpered (obviously) fully stripped inside (soundproofing, bitumen, headlining) old roll centre 6pt cage, no squab/door bins, cobra monaco seats. heavy fiesta brakes, 6x10 ultralights, arc angles mig arches cut down, full glass with wind up windows in std doors (mega heavy!) + door cards, KAD linkage kit, alloy dash.

there's LOADs more stuff i've not listed, but that's a general idea :)

it could be so much lighter, but at present, there's nothing silly light on it, and I've not yet attacked it with the holesaw. I'm waiting until the next time it needs painting before I start drilling the shell. i'll be doing the doors/glass this year though. should drop 20kg total easily.

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

Sam

1391 Posts
Member #: 1686
Post Whore

Oxford

Bar what you've already mentioned about the doors and brakes.

What about the seats, the Cobra Monaco`s are heavy sods! magnum i remember did good value reasonable quality shell seats.

On 19th Feb, 2011 Miniwilliams said:
OMG Robert that's a big one

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

oh the seats are fairly heavy yea. I really fancy some cloth seats now too for a bit more restraint. THe vinyl ones were very cool when I was 17, but 6 years on they're not exactly what I want anymore.

I'd like some nice composite framed side mounted seats, but I really don't know what's out there, having not really looked into it all that much.

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

This just arrived this morning, l;ooks' absolutely mint!

Can anyone tell me if there's a radiused arm missing from the throttle arm?

Also, how is the choke cable meant to be mounted? there's a tab sticking out that looks like it's in the right position to take a choke cable, but it's not got a hole drilled in it.

Does anyone have either an inlet manifold or an abutment plate (i think that's what it's called- the plate that holds the throttle cable and stuff) they fancy selling me?

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

on the NA version there is a plate that goes between the carb and the inlet manifold which has the connections for the cables.

I just put a small pilot hole in the tab for the cable then drilled it out a little to take a bike brake cable end to give the choke cable something to sit in.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

akirch

337 Posts
Member #: 399

Austria

I made my own Plate at my n/a mini:

http://www.minifreunde.at

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

cheers guys,

The plate is different on the turbo carb isn't it? as the throttle and choke are on opposite sides....

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

You can just see how the turbo one sits in this pic:

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

OK, so I've been having random running issues with the car for a while now. it's suffered from a top end misfire above about 6k on and off for months now. I was certain this was an ignition issue, with the electronic module missing fires at high revs.

Last weekend, I changed the electronic module for a points and condensor setup, and it's a lot better, but the problem still exists.

Pulling the leads off 1 by 1 on idle, removing leads 1 and 4 makes sodd all difference, yet removing leads 2 and 3 it nearly dies.

So, I did a compression test tonight, with interesting results

Results done cold:

1. 150psi
2. 132psi
3. 170psi
4. 140psi

Not overly happy with what I've found tbh, it used to make a good 180psi across all 4 cylinders.

I'm thinking the valve seats have been burnt, during my extended hot running to, at, and back from the ring (running at 100 degrees with all fans/heater on)

Meh. going to try it again hot tomorow, and with a drop of oil in the bores to rule out rings. then if it's still low I'll pull the head and regrind all the valves in this weekend.

Any thoughts?

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

do the test again and drop a bit of oil in the bores if the results are the same it will rule out the rings

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

that's the plan for tomorow evening Wolfie. I'm also tempted to order some valve springs from minispares tomorow along with the new head gasket. From a very unscientific test of pressing on each rocker as hard as I can, the inlet valve on number 1 is MUCH easier to press down than the others, so I'm wondering if it's gone weak.

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Hi Prawn.

Nice car mate.

I'd check you've got good rocker to valve clearances before doing anything further. Try 0.016 Exhaust and 0.014 Inlet to set a cold baseline. You can always re-adjust later. If these are ok then go for the comp test with a squirt of oil to rule out rings.

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Thanks for the advice Richard, they were all set at 16 thou cold, checked last week when it was hot and none were tighter than 14 thou at all. that's with minispares 1.5:1 roller rockers.

I'll test it with oil tonight, and if it's the same, I'll have to pull the head.

Looking on minispares, they do a set of double 200lb valve springs for £25 which they say they use on all their fast road heads. At that money it'd seem silly not to chuck new springs on it.

In other news, I've decided against this supercharged idea, having seen the light and realised that whilst it would be fairly original, it'll never be as good as a turbo.

I'm now keeping my 18cc accralites, which I'll throw into a fresh block, and I've agree'd to have a mega sorted near miglia spec bottom end from my old man, so I can build up the new motor without ripping mine apart.

I also picked up an MED roadcomp head yesterday for an absolute steal, with 20.5cc chambers which will give me 8.5:1 CR. I'm going to rebuild that with new springs/seals/guides ready for the new engine.

Just need to find a turbo and manifold now, and all the little bits like a downpipe, and oil drains and stuff :)

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Valve springs and a head set ordered :) it's got to be worth doing, even if it's not the root cause.

Has anyone ever tried lapping in valves using a drill on the stem? A few people have suggested I try it, but I'm not sure it's a great idea....

n.g.l.

370 Posts
Member #: 181

Chard, Somerset

I've one of these in the past to good effect-

http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1825&cat=666

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Well. bugger.

Pulled the head this morning, only took 20 mins to get it off. whipped all the valves out, and found this:

and this one cracked:

Now I know that's unlikely to have been causing my misfire, but still, not great at all. Interestingly, these two guides are the ones which the valves picked up in last year (hit the pistons) I had the valves replaced, and all the guides reamed, but teh guy who did it for me didn't mention at teh time that the guides were smashed.

The two centre guides also sit about 5mm lower on the top side of the head too! Very odd.....

New guides to be ordered Monday, and found a place who'll press them in and ream them fo £25.

Another week off the road.....

mini_hoopz

8 Posts
Member #: 8361

Basingstoke

thats a rather nice mini prawn, *Rofl!* i took your advice and signed up, i keep meaning to ask, were were those pics taken, coz its an awesome location

Laurence

66 Posts
Member #: 8258
Advanced Member

Hi Prawn,
Great looking car!

If the head has been skimmed 2 or 3mm & the block planed 1 or 2mm you should either shorten the pushrods an equivalent amount or the rockershaft pedestals should be shimmed up to make up the 'lost' height so the rocker arm to valve stem & pushrod geometry is correct.

The best method is to shim up the pedestals.

The geometry problem could be excaccerbated by the 1.5 ratio rockers.

What happens is the valve stems are forced sideways which at best causes rapid valve & valve guide wear, at worst it causes the valves to pick-up on the guides causing them to move in the head & break-up, hope this helps sort out the fault. Laurence.

mini_hoopz

8 Posts
Member #: 8361

Basingstoke

the pics came out ok in the end mate =]

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Hi Laurence, thanks for your suggestion mate, what you say makes a lot of sense indeed....

However :(

I've already got rocker pedestal spacers fitted, from MED, so the correct geometry should be restored. Also, shouldn't the roller tip rockers minimise side loading on the valve stems?

I personally think that the guides have been broken for a year or more, as these are the two valves that picked up on me. for peace of mind I'm not going to risk rebuilding it with these dead guides.

Laurence

66 Posts
Member #: 8258
Advanced Member

Hi,
Perhaps the cam gives too much valve lift when combined with the 1.5 ratio rockers (giving side-thrust) so it may be an idea to use 1.3 ratio rockers, are the valve springs getting coil-bound having said that though, is the phase 3 cam an ideal choice for a forced induction engine?
I would use a mild cam, one without too much overlap, for a blown engine, use the 1.5 rockers if you like, but not with a high lift cam.
Maybe you should be using A.P.T. manganese aluminium/ silicone bronze valve guides along with new valves & valve springs (from Kent Cams)
Phospor bronze guides may only last 2,000mls in a high performance engine.
Don't put stem seals on the exhaust valves if you use silicone bronze guides.

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Cheers again for your advice Laurence. the current engine isn't forced induction, and I'm not planning on charging this engine at all. I'm building up a whole new engine to turbo, using an avonbar p2 cam

the current cam has 8mm lift, the springs don't go coilbound on full lift, but I do have a feeling one of them had gone weak.

The head had previously been built with 8 stem seals, although I'll not be refitting them on the exhaust when I rebuild the head.

I've bought a set of Manganese bronze guides from minispares today, which will be pressed into the head on wednesday.

I'll take pics when I build it up to see if there's anything obviously a miss that I'm somehow not spotting!

Thanks for your help as always :)

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Bought a plenum for £30 on ebay, modified for a DV already, but not for an IC.

the poppet valve had already been blocked off when it arrived, although it looked a little odd.

On further inspection, it turned out a penny had been siliconed onto the inside the the chamber! What a bodge....

On further thoughts, i'll probably sell this and try and get one from Nic if he still makes them

Edited by Prawn on 25th Feb, 2010.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Prawns 1380 trackday Toy: on the rollers at Slark today
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: