Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > RR Day Logs

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Here is the log from the RR Day:

And the RR printout:

Basically suffering from poor fueling and a misfire, according to the RR guy. The saw tooth nature of the power curve indicates the misfire apparently.

Not sure why the fueling was out, as the last few logs have been much better. We did make a lot of changes last week, but mainly improving cruise.

The car behaved perfectly on the drive there, but was popping and banging like nobodys business on the way home although it did seem to clear after a while.

We can see from the log leading up to the power run that the LC-1 packed up for a while and then came back all spikey. It was still spikey during the run.

I spent yesterday morning sorting it out. I put the foil back around the wideband sensors and wiring and the inner cylinder signal has settled down. Last week, we took the foil off for a photograph or two and re-routed the cables, but they had slipped towards the coil pack.

I also torqued the head down as there appeared to be some water in number one cylinder and the spark plug looked steam cleaned!

I thought it was fixed, but we went to Halfords to get some new plugs and for a very short period it misfired on boost again.

Anyway, I think that the hoped for 120hp is there. We just need to sort the misfire.

Oh, and the fuel pressure is all over the place. I had set it at 3.2 bar. It was 2.9 bar on Friday, so I wound it back up to 3.2. But then yesterday it was at 3.5!!!

I'm going to fit some new HT leads and a new fuel pressure regulator. Also increase the dwell which is currently set at 2.5mS, which may be causing the miss?

Edited by Paul S on 19th Oct, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

looking at the power graph, you have a nice amount of power there not forgetting your using a 998 small block turbo with an experimental fuel injection system 90% of us on here dont understand even the basics me included, i think you can be proud of your achievements all the other bits are niggles and fine tuning that are to be expected in any build,

so a big WELL DONE!!

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Oct, 2009 Brett said:
looking at the power graph, you have a nice amount of power there not forgetting your using a 998 small block turbo with an experimental fuel injection system 90% of us on here dont understand even the basics me included, i think you can be proud of your achievements all the other bits are niggles and fine tuning that are to be expected in any build,

so a big WELL DONE!!

Thanks, for the encouragement.

Just disappointed that the RR figures did not reflect recent road logs.

It's a long learning curve and we are not as far along as we had hoped.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Still bloody clever stuff Paul, I wish I has 50% of your knowledge on EFI.

You car didn't go on the scales, as you said you had it done recently, can you PM Matt Woods or me you weight so we car canculate power to weight ratio for the mag?

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Oct, 2009 Jimster said:
You car didn't go on the scales, as you said you had it done recently, can you PM Matt Woods or me you weight so we car canculate power to weight ratio for the mag?

Will do, but it will be the lowest of the cars there :(

707kg, by the way.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

As already said,

Well done for getting it there, I didn't........

As for the graphs, I've split my screen and put the Oct 12th one against it, looking at the 3rd gear part.

The RR obviously offers more resistance to acceleration as everything happens slower, but, otherwise, it's only the AFRs that differ.

As the RR graph certainly implies a misfire, is it not possible the AFR readings are being skewed by the unburnt fuel ???

My understanding is a misfire will make an LSU read weak as the unburnt fuel skews the oxygen level. That would make the graph match a misfire on one of the outers ???

Or have I got it all wrong again ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think that you are correct Rod.

I have a damaged HT lead on No. 1 and No. 1 plug looked odd, so that's my conclusion.

I'd also like Jean's opinion on the very spikey pulse widths. Jumping around between 7 & 8 mS.

Prawn

667 Posts
Member #: 5232
Post Whore

basingstoke

On 19th Oct, 2009 Paul S said:

Just disappointed that the RR figures did not reflect recent road logs.

I've found this is often the case for some reason.

On my dailly drive 1.8T A3, it always seems to run badly on rolling roads, despite being great on the road. having done some logs, MAF readings and boost are never as high on the rollers as they are when I do logs on the open road, which would imply that it's actually making more power and torque than any of my RR graphs would suggest....

This annoys me greatly!

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just swapped the HT leads on 1 & 2, also increased dwell to 2.8mS.

Took it for a quick run out. Ran like a dream, but no change with the AFRs.

I'm starting to draw the conclusion that 8mS and 5000rpm are the limit with around 1000cc/min per port on single pulse. That's only 16.6666% duty cycle :( on a cylinder basis.

Now getting a distinct impression that the AFRs are diverging with MAT, but it was OK last weekend.

I need to do a bit more data analysis.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

but it was OK last weekend.

That's the key point - everything else on the Oct 12th graph (in 3rd) matched the RR except the AFRs.

So, if it wasn't a misfire (excess fuel on the LSU) changing the readings, what else has changed ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Oct, 2009 Rod S said:
So, if it wasn't a misfire (excess fuel on the LSU) changing the readings, what else has changed ???

Thanks Rod.

It would appear that I have changed the timing at 2.0 Bara by 5 degrees.

Obviuously, top end injection timing is critical. I'll change the 1.5 Bara setting back and see if it comes back.

EDIT: I was blaming Sturgeo, but the current amendments are all mine. Sturgeo changed it back to how it was but I subsequently lowered the timing by 5 degrees which should have richened the outers, but it hasn't.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I'd also like Jean's opinion on the very spikey pulse widths. Jumping around between 7 & 8 mS.

Looking at the graph, it's difficult to say if the pulse width variation is due to the MAP variation or the reverse. Could your boost controller be the cause of this MAP variation? How are the different boost/vacuum points done (MAP, boost control, FPR)? I mean are they physically separate?

Also, it would be good to have a look at the full Megasquirt log to see if there isn't some accel/decel being triggered which would cause major fueling changes.

On another point, you mention you're using 2.5ms of dwell but I thought you were using LS1 coils. From what I've read from Bruce's test on MS, those need about 5ms of dwell. That could be one of the cause of the misfire and any misfire will skew the AFR readings as mentioned (reading lean due to the O2 in the unburned mixture).

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Oct, 2009 jbelanger said:

Looking at the graph, it's difficult to say if the pulse width variation is due to the MAP variation or the reverse. Could your boost controller be the cause of this MAP variation? How are the different boost/vacuum points done (MAP, boost control, FPR)? I mean are they physically separate?

No boost controller and MAP, FPR, MS & Boost Gauge taken off a single tapping on the plenum. Actuator and Dump Valve have separte take-offs.

Also, it would be good to have a look at the full Megasquirt log to see if there isn't some accel/decel being triggered which would cause major fueling changes.

There is no noticeable AE coming in at boost. You can see from the graph, I've plotted Pulse Widths. Just a couple of spikes where the RR guy stabbed the throttle. I can let you have the full log.

On another point, you mention you're using 2.5ms of dwell but I thought you were using LS1 coils. From what I've read from Bruce's test on MS, those need about 5ms of dwell. That could be one of the cause of the misfire and any misfire will skew the AFR readings as mentioned (reading lean due to the O2 in the unburned mixture).

The LS1 coils are for the next project. This is using the standard Ford wasted spark coil.

It may be worth putting a restrictor in the line to the MS to dampen the signal. I'll try that.

Thanks Jean.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK then,

I think we have a concencus that a misfire could give the skewed AFR on the outers since the really good log on the 12th so, if there weren't any significant changes to the MSQ from the 12th to the RR, and the RR plot suggests a misfire, how about back to basics ???

Has the coilpack degraded ??? - you've had one go this way before .

Or is there something more fundamental failing ??? - ie head gasket on No 1 or even just a burnt exhaust valve ??? - you have been giving this engine some serious "testing" after all......

Compression test or, better still, leakdown test ???

Allways best to eliminate the mechanical failure possibilities before blaming the electronics.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yes - good call Rod.

Good going on all this Paul - respect due to the time, determination and analysis you're putting into this. *Yes*

Edited by TurboDave16V on 19th Oct, 2009.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Dave.

Rod, the poor little engine has done nothing but "testing" in it's short life and is probably a little worse for wear. It was pumping out some smoke from the breather/catch tank on the rollers which makes me suspect that there may be mechanical issues.

I'll try and get a compression test done, if I can get my cheap bay tester to work.

If there is an issue with the engine, I'll have to park it up and get on with the 1293 EFi Turbo for the Miglia. I can't get bogged down with this one.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I'll try and get a compression test done, if I can get my cheap bay tester to work.

I could post you over my compression tester if you want but whether you would ever see it is debatable at the moment - there may be no Royal Mail by the end of the week......

Even a "cheap" one should be able to do a comparison between cylinders though, even if the absolute readings are inaccurate.

It would be good to know as your Oct 12th AFRs were so good.

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Paul.

The work on your 998 stunned me on Saturday. It is a credit to you, truly amazing, my hat goes off to you for sticking with it - and only turbo'd since June. Just over 100 brake is amazing.

Also, my thanks for downloading your MS ignition map so that I could get a feel for the sort of settings required for the van.

I did actually remap the MS ECU at the Pod on Saturday night and switched over from dizzy to MS but couldn't get the damn thing to fire cleanly enough to do some testing.

I will crack this damn problem one day !

Great work Paul, nice meeting you on Saturday.

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Richard.

We now have a video to go with the log. Thanks to MiniMardiMotor Man.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minima.../15/hvPtt3rMdfY

Sounds fine to me.

Edited by Paul S on 20th Oct, 2009.

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

yes well done from me mate, i know your know 100% happy with the results but with the issues aside, still bloody good going for a new project.

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Matt. You guys make me feel that it's all worthwhile.

Update on the AFR issue is that nothing has been done yet.

But, all this talk of the AFRs on the outers going lean ------ I'm actually only measuring No. 4, so it should be easy to track down a specific issue with that cylinder.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Could there be a leak close to the sensor? I don't know how that would let air in instead of exhaust out but may be worth a look.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

So far I've changed the plugs to BP7ES, the leads to some new 8mm silicone jobbies and fitted a restrictor to the MAP line to the MS:

I took a similar log when the engine temp was only 78 degrees and there was still quite a spread. There is some temperature related factors getting involved now we are fine tuning. The hotter the engine, the more fuel I can get into the outer cylinders.

Anyway, seem to have got rid of the pulse spikes and pulse width peaked around 9mSec.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I wonder if that's related to wall wetting. As the engine gets hotter, there is less wall wetting and more of the charge gets directly to the cylinders. This would mean more fuel to the outer cylinders. Fuel vaporized from the ports will always favor the inner cylinders.

I wonder if there would be a need to have a temperature corrected timing in the single pulse mode. The dual pulse mode would need an asymmetrical temperature enrichment that would increase the outer cylinders pulse width since the injection timing should remain the same.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

As long as I know that I have to get it up to temperature before applying boost, I can live with it as it is.

I've booked the Rolling Road for a re-test on the 6th November, so as long as I don't break it in the meantime, we shall see if it is putting out more beans.

Home > Paul S trials and testing > RR Day Logs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: