Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Another Rolling Road Log

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 robert said:
.77 lambda? bit more area under the curve to come there paul ,but much nicer plot for power .
one point , i thought you were of the 've cant be higher than 85 to 89 %', whereas fab and i were of the 90 to 95% point of view ..whence the change ?sure we had a discussion on this somewhere on here ?

Robert, you have a long memory *happy*

Since our discussion, I improved my spreadsheet to calculate power from air flow, BSFC and AFR rather than just a constant and air flow.

The only way that I've been able to match the calcs to actual results is to increase the VE to 0.95. Actually I need to go higher than 0.95 for the Spud and the TT2.

However, there are so many assumed variables in that calculation that it may be that I've under/over estimated the BSFC, IC efficiency and compressor efficiency.

EDIT: This is the aformentioned thread:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=167009&fr=0

Edited by Paul S on 6th Nov, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

Edited by robert on 6th Nov, 2009.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

[quote=Paul S,6th Nov, 2009results is to increase the VE to 0.95. Actually I need to go higher than 0.95 for the Spud and the TT2.

quote]

yes we both appear to be running at 127 bhp/litre in the 6300rpm,12 psi range of boost ,what ve do have for that ?

ben combination of more valve area per cc ,big turbo and low ex back pressure and tighter lsa cam is working well at that rpm .really looking forward to seeing its performance at 20 psi .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is how I think that the Spud and the TT2 attain that sort of power.

More efficient turbo.

Bigger intercooler and better placement/airflow.

Better flowing head and larger valves.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

do you think its s.o.t time paul??lol

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

s.o.t time ?????

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Oh yes, silly me not remembering :$

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Go on then, what is that indicating? Is it something to do with lambda vs power output?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

x2 robert, whats that all about?

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's something like specific output.

i.e. hp per cc per psi boost per 1000 rpm or some such milarkey.

Good for comparing the state of tune of different engines.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Robert, are you sure the key is right? I would expect the shape of mine to be the dark blue line?

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Nov, 2009 Jimster said:
Robert, are you sure the key is right? I would expect the shape of mine to be the dark blue line?

That graphs from the 16v rolling road day.

I'm sure robert is preapring one from the TM rolling road dya as we wspeak.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

yes its off efi minis from the last rr shootout in the beginning of the year .. i havent done anything about one for this shootout yet ,a lot of numbers and 22 hours without sleep and 8 hrs jetlag dont go well together lol.

heres the link

http://www.efiminis.olicentral.com/index.p...msg4651#msg4651

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

oh ill need to know everyones engine capacity ?

ah scrub that , it seems to be on the data i have .:)

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

lol downloading open office the now to give this a run with my last RR printout! is power in the formula wheel power, or estimated flywheel, and what are the units?

cheers :) very interesting analysis on this and the RR day thread!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

I havent got a clue what this thread is talking about, but congratulations! (I think)

I feel like an elderly relative at christmas, slightly lost and in a different world to everyone else around the table

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
455bhp per ton

Nan, it's a Dildo!

run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
455bhp per ton

On 6th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:
Result.

It does actually what it says on the tin !!!!

Well it did after we advanced the ignition a bit.

Ist run was much the same as before despite my attempts to improve matters. 104hp and 95 lb ft.

Following Troys advice, we advanced the ignition for the top two lines of the map. We had it set at 18 degrees advance at 1 bar boost. Too conservative.

Anyway, the final run at 24 degrees maximum ignition advance was no better than 22 degrees, so we knew we had the optimum.

The end result was 112 hp and 105 lb ft. Just three horsepower down from expected, but boost was down to 0.84 bar from 0.88, so overall approx. a 10% improvement.

Still can't get the outer cylinders running as rich as I would like on the rolling road, whereas on the dual carriageway they are spot on.

I'll post the Megaview log later.

Good stuff, glad you are getting the results expected, and all your number crunching is bang on

run a 1/4 in one!!

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

good for you denis , its flywheel in bhp .be very interestred to see what you have .make sure you dont have a % based losses adding onto it all , if you have use at the wheels and add a sliding scale of losses
you could base it on this .

On 6th Nov, 2009 evolotion said:
lol downloading open office the now to give this a run with my last RR printout! is power in the formula wheel power, or estimated flywheel, and what are the units?

cheers :) very interesting analysis on this and the RR day thread!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've been puzzling about why my power drops off at 5700rpm.

I've been blaming the standard unmodified cylinder head (other than unleaded seats) and thinking that the 25.4mm exhaust valves were a problem.

But it suddenly ocurred to me that I had not checked what the rev limiter was doing - silly me.

Seems from the Megalog that the soft cut was retarding the ignition from 5700 rpm onwards as can be seen from the log:

The white line on the middle graph is the ignition advance.

So, if I had maintained the 105lbft up to 6000rpm, then we would have hit the 120hp :$

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Mar, 2010.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Amature....

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I'm surprised they didn't spot that at the RR but, on the other hand, it may be why your engine is still in one piece :)

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

On 3rd Mar, 2010 Paul S said:

Seems from the Megalog that the soft cut was retarding the ignition from 5700 rpm onwards as can be seen from the log:

Paul, I was there to watch at your torque curve (mine falls down from 6000rpm) and noticed this answer.
I think it's not a good idea to retard ignition as a rev limiting feature, you must know the retard may increase boost as exhaust gases get hotter when ignition is retarded. Especially if you expect a "soft", possibly long lasting, effect. It's much better to cut injection of 1 or 2 cylinders in a round-robin way, the boost falls down quite progressively, cylinders continue working as before and keeping their temperature and it's not as violent as a cut of all injectors.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I understand what you are saying, but do not have an issue with the ignition retard coming in just before the fuel cut. That's the way the MS rev limiter works.

You can certainly feel the power start to drop as it hits the soft limit at which point you change into the next gear. It's only ocurring for a split second in reality, whereas on the rolling road we were heading for 6000rpm in top gear and because of the total lack of acceleration of the car we could not feel the power drop off.

The other issue is that it would be very difficult to cut individual cylinders with the way the car is set up with a single pulse feeding two cylinders at a time.

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Another Rolling Road Log
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: