Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Build Guide - Contents for Comment

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod and I are working on a build guide for the MS/Siamese code setup.

This is not intended to be a definitive write up on fuel injection, but more about the specifics of implementing the Siamese code on a an A Series engine.

If you want to know about EFi then Dave Walkers book is recommended and there is a lot of stuff on the Megasquirt website/forums.

Anyway, the contents page is attached for comment.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Dec, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Liking the look of that very much! Looking forward to seeing the Configuration Options section as there's a few things in MegaTune i'm not sure about changing for the moment.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd Dec, 2009 Carl S said:
Liking the look of that very much! Looking forward to seeing the Configuration Options section as there's a few things in MegaTune i'm not sure about changing for the moment.

Well it is intended to be a "build" guide rather than setup, but we can hopefully add some specific setup issues.

BTW, you should be using Tuner Studio, not Megatune.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Oh? Advantages of Tuner Studio?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You need it to take full advantage of the Siamese code.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

For "unknown" reasons, Megatune won't display the full list of menu options once you have the siamese code installed, it kind of truncates the menu, TunerStudio doesn't.

EDIT - I should add it's one of the issues I have suggested to Paul we include in the "Build Manual". but how far the "manual" should actually go to saying how to set it all up is debatable... hence your comments required. There will be quite a few common issues (so could be documented) but most will be down to individual installations so possibly best debated on the forum ???

Edited by Rod S on 3rd Dec, 2009.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Great stuff guys, I'm sure this will help pave the way for more people to experiment with this.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

this is good stuff guys -

got to be honest - its all been lost on me up till now so hopefully it will start getting a bit more understandable!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I have to say that I am a little embarrased helping Paul with this as my own Megasquirted, Fuel injected, Turbocharged, Siamese code, A series 5 port engine.... whilst it runs fine, the furthest it has moved so far is from one end of the garage to the other and that was on a sack barrow.

But seriously, what kind of detail would you would like to see documented in one place (ie, the "manual"), as this would help us both to know what to cover.

There's masses of information in the EFI section of the forum but this is an attempt to put the key bits of the siamese code in one place.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

miniswordsman

617 Posts
Member #: 6558
Post Whore

Pueblo, Colorado, USA

Looks like it's going to be top notch for us that don't get everything that injection on a 5 port includes. Might I suggest something to the Main Hardware section though? Plenum sizings, the why's and whatfors of it, as that's something I just don't get. I see all these people with completely different sizes of plenum(not just mini mind you) and I'm not sure as to why, and what's been found to be most efficient on a mini/5 port.

miniswordsman

617 Posts
Post Whore

Pueblo, Colorado, USA

I could be completely daft though.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 3rd Dec, 2009 Rod S said:

For "unknown" reasons, Megatune won't display the full list of menu options once you have the siamese code installed, it kind of truncates the menu, TunerStudio doesn't.

The reason is known: Megatune is designed to work with a 640x480 monitor and will truncate everything that goes over that. TunerStudio will fit every window in the available space and add scroll bars if needed.

Moreover, Megatune has a limitation on the number of tables and that number is lower than the number of tables used in the alpha version of MS2/Extra (which is the code that has sequential injection and the siamese port code). It is possible to use Megatune but, as Rod mentions, you won't get the full menu and all the available options such as fuel trim.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I should add that this table of content looks like a good list of what is needed to get started.

As mentioned there is then the issue of tuning. And while there is a lot of information elsewhere, there is enough things specific to the siamese code to make a guide a very desirable thing. However, this is a sizable job and it still remains to be seen (at least in my view) if all engine configurations will behave the same even though the basic principles should remain the same.

Jean

miniswordsman

617 Posts
Post Whore

Pueblo, Colorado, USA

Just came to me, but it might be worthwile to add a list of people that are deep in on the injection, such as Jean, his website is a phenomonal(sp?) resource.

-James

Cooper1999

209 Posts
Member #: 6451

South East Northumberland

Forgive my ignorance - I really need this guide - if it's a monkey see, monkey do type (info) guide I'm the man to proof read it!

An explanation of 'siamese code' would be a good start (I take it to mean the code written to control the injection, when fitted to a head with siamese type ports - am I right?)

No mention of MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor isn't it - is it mentioned under another name?). Likewise Lambda sensors (oxygen sensors - the same thing?), and wideband ones at that - what is the advantages of using wideband.

ETA And I agree with the plenum comments - I understand the plenum to be 'just' a reservoir of air when used with injection.
And whats this Megatune - open source software or something for setting the hardware? (I did say I'm ignorant to all this technology stuff *oh well*)

Edited by Cooper1999 on 4th Dec, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 4th Dec, 2009 Cooper1999 said:
Forgive my ignorance - I really need this guide - if it's a monkey see, monkey do type (info) guide I'm the man to proof read it!

An explanation of 'siamese code' would be a good start (I take it to mean the code written to control the injection, when fitted to a head with siamese type ports - am I right?)

No mention of MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor isn't it - is it mentioned under another name?). Likewise Lambda sensors (oxygen sensors - the same thing?), and wideband ones at that - what is the advantages of using wideband.

ETA And I agree with the plenum comments - I understand the plenum to be 'just' a reservoir of air when used with injection.
And whats this Megatune - open source software or something for setting the hardware? (I did say I'm ignorant to all this technology stuff *oh well*)

You're correct that the term 'siamese code' is used to talk about the code which does handle the port injection processing specific to an engine with a siamese-port head such as the A-series engine. This is now part of the official MS2/Extra code (alpha version 3.0.3). This works with the MS2 Megasquirt ECU as well as the Microsquirt module.

The MAP is not mentioned because it comes on the Megasquirt board but it would be a good idea to include it because there are options to have either a 3-Bar or 4-Bar MAP sensor. Also the Microsquirt module doesn't have one on-board so will require an external one. (I know that the Microsquirt module won't be part of the guide but I mention it here for completeness).

You need wideband O2 (lambda) sensors because that's the only way to get an actual AFR reading. Narrowband sensors can only indicate stoichiometric, lean or rich so they are practically useless here.

By the way, while this guide will bring all the information together (and more?), you can still find most answers in other posts. So don't hesitate to use the search function.

As for other details, since Paul and Rod are the authors they'll have to answer them.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, there are some useful comments above and we will try an answer them in the guide.

However, I will reiterate what I said at the start of the thread. We are not going to spoon feed and wipe the arse of everyone who wants to know about fuel injecting the A Series. If that is what you want to do, then go and learn about Efi then use the guide to apply the specifics.

Edited by Paul S on 4th Dec, 2009.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Paul,

Is it worth mentioning at the start the effect Siamese ports have and why a conventional EFI setup won't work? I think one of the biggest issues out there is that the majority of people don't understand the problem & if they don't understand the problem there's little change that they'll understand the solution regardless of how well you explain it.

Also is it worth mentioning plenum chambers?

Edited by Rob H on 4th Dec, 2009.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rob, there is already a page and a half explaining the problem. Hopefully that will get the mesage across.

I'll get something about plenumbibliums in the manifold section.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

+1 for the contents,
looking forward to seeing it an maybe help me understand what your usually talking about *happy*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

Fantastic what you chaps have/are doing !!
Absolute admiration

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

It looks very good Paul,

personally I reckon you don't really need to put anything for stuff like fuel pump/ regulator/filter and wiring, as anyone taking this on should be past this level already.

I know you'll produce a top write up though!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

gemertw

77 Posts
Member #: 7659
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Hi Paul,

I suppose you mean Idle air control instead of inlet air control.
A chapter on tune settings for different A-type engine builds would be nice. It would certainly make firing up the first time a bit easier

Regards Will

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

this almost makes me want to go back to a 5-port a-series just to contribute... genuinely appreciate the work involved gentlemen, onwards and upwards!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Guys, very interested in this guide, as I fancy having a go on this, (or more helping a mate out). Any ideas on when there will be a draft copy out? any idea what the cost will be?

Cheers

Jimbo

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Build Guide - Contents for Comment
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: