Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 2018 and beyond!

giallofly

I helped keep this site alive!

4436 Posts
Member #: 164
The Stig..

Newport Pagnell

Nice work but don't forget you need to use the bottom plate on the gear change set up, vital for the "gate".

JF.

On 21st Jan, 2011 fastcarl said:

therefore acheiving two things , a sore knob and a beer bellyl

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Steve I like the seat, i don't know what make the mounts are as they are what came with it secound hand. I had to make new plates on the left hand side as I couldn't get clearance near the door window without the seat catching. I bet fitting 2 would be a nightmare!

Cheers Jf I have the plate fitted it's just not in the picture. It looks like a cheese grater it's got that many holes in it!

MrOz

248 Posts
Member #: 5007

Crazyhill, Livi

That's bloody impressive.

In fact, it's inspiring.

how easy is it to bring the selector box inside?

Off course I need to get ma MPI running first...... damn it.

Edited by MrOz on 21st Jan, 2010.

"se ne estas rompita, ne ripar ĝi - supercharge ĝi."

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Mr oz cant really take much credit it a copy of jimsters/carls and I dare say other peoples!

Making it just takes some thinking, I made one a couple of years ago and had major issues. I'm quite pleasesd with it!

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well not much progress of late. I managed to pick up a front subframe, that i have attacked with the holesaw. The Engine will be going back together shortly just waiting on a few bits!

I have also been side tracked as I have just bought another R5 GTT. Currently been sorting out all the niggly jobs before I put it on the road.

I got the car locally, it was sprayed a couple of years ago and is in good condition. The engine is sweet as a nut and has had alot of headwork uprated cam and runs a T28 turbo. Going to be making the car as OE inside and out but not under the bonnet *happy*

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Nice i like the 5, ive allways fancyed one since i went out in a raider when i was 15, i thaught it was lightning.lol

Rick

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Nice!

I nearly bought another R5 6months ago, but decided it would side track me too much from the mini. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Thats how i got into them Rick! a mate took me out in one when I was at college. I blame him for my addiction to boost!

It does sidetrack me from the Mini but I need a car everyday and dont really fancy a modern car! My current five that i use everyday has done about 50000 miles in the three years and has let me down once when the starter motor packed up! I just keep on top of the jobs *happy*

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

R5 Looks mint mate, I have always hankered for a nice standard looking one.

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well I have finally managed a full weekend on the Mini! It was great fun!

Richard my Bro and me stripped out the cage removed the seat and dropped off the exhaust as my mate is going to paint the interior of the car as it needs a tidy up.

After we had done that I set about cutting out the boot floor so that i could fit a carbon boot floor that has been sat in my bedroom for nearly 12 months.

I then welded the seat back to the remaining part of the floor and made a beefier plate for the seat belt mounts.

Also set about the part just under the rear quarter windows with the hole cutter. Whilst me bro scraped off the sound deadening from the quarter.

Next weekend im going to drop off the front subframe and weld and strengthen the body where the rear subframe mounts attach. Then its all the prep work for paint!

Can anybody reccomend a good air sander?

Ron

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 11th Apr, 2010 Star Mag said:

Also set about the part just under the rear quarter windows with the hole cutter. Whilst me bro scraped off the sound deadening from the quarter.

did you find the panel weaken by much? i fancy drilling there eventually but it feels quite a structural part

nice r5 too

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

There's nothing to it IMO also have a full cage so I don't see it as a problem. I did contemplate fully removing them. But preffered the shotgun look.
Ron

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

Ron - how are you fixing the floor at the back?

i just finished mine and it was a pita!

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Im going to use some fancy bolts in the rear corners and then seal around the edges. I have spent a fair amount of time making the boot floor fit the curve of the carbon so it should be a good fit.

The floor also came out relatively easily i must have been lucky.

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well for the last couple of weeks i have been grafting on the Mini as i was hoping to get to pod for the end of the month.

I have removed the front sub frame to gain access to the cracked floor and welded up the cracks as well as adding in some plate to strengthen the area.

Whilst the subframe was off it was treated to a fresh coat of paint and a full new set of polybushes. Also whilst it was off i painted all the floor and steering rack etc.

Whilst poking away under the car i found a few rust spots that needed plating so i took care of these and have given it all a lick of paint. Also finished all the prep work on the inside and gave the floor a layer of Gravitex and then painted it gloss black

I have also prepped and painted the roll cage which is drying tonight and going back in tomorrow.

I painted the boot area at the same time as painting the interior and bonded in the boot floor. I bolted the floor in at the back with two bolts and also two bolts at the front through the seat base. Fuel tank is fully mounted, but just need to sort the last couple of fittings to finish off the fuel pipes.

This week I intend to fit the cage and finish the fuel pipes. Then it should be good to go.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Looking good, what boot floor and tank is that?

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well time for a bit of a update!!

The car has been up and running. Got the engine all fitted back together with the addition of a Turbo Phil head. Also had it dry decked as it seems to be the fashionable thing at the minute *tongue* Phil supplied the kit and had the head blocked off and machined for the water outlet. I had to modify the engine mount to clear.

In all seriousness though decking it does seem to have dropped the temps when driving around the road. Im still not happy at how long the engine takes to cool when it has been warm so i have ordered a new fiat radiator to replace the old metro one. And i need to squeeze a fan in there!

Avon park was a waste of time! The car had done around 6 road miles and not been set up for full boost. The carb needle was the same one i ran last year at 20psi and would only fuel 13psi with the new head! So that's was a good sign. I did one run that was over 16secs but did pull a 97mph trap! I decided to sack it as i couldn't raise my rev limit or adjust the timing as my serial cable had stopped working!

In Between Avon and Mitp managed to get some road miles on the engine and get it into a good state of tune! The car was loaded onto the trailer Friday the 13th with no problems ready to go.

I thought it must have been too good to be true as only managed a burnout! When trying to stage i dipped the clutch and the engine stalled! I knew what it was straight away! Thrusts *frown*

Unsure as to why they have gone! Not change anything since last year with the bottom end, clutch oil etc. Not sure if it lost oil pressure dodgy bearings or maybe i was on the clutch to much!

My crank is coming to the end of it life. I think im going to cut my losses as it needs another gring the big ends are already at 20 thou undersize and the tail is marked where i had a flywheel work loose in the past!

Hoping to get it back together so it can have at least one full run down the strip before the winter sets in!

The boot floor is a Curley Carbon and the tank is made by Alloy race fabrications on ebay. Its a well built tank.

Cheers Ron

Edited by Star Mag on 22nd Aug, 2010.

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

that sucks dude, let us know when it's back together. i'm still up for a rwyb down at avon before the end of the season, think the other nic might be too.

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Me and John are up for a RWYB day

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Bugger, those thrusts are well munched :(

grey or double grey?

any pics of the crank thrust face? it might tell more than the thrusts,

also what were the thrusts on the other side like?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Yeah should be up for a rwyb. If I get the crank pretty quickly!

Joe the other side thrust were fine so not as if the crank was binding. I don't have the crank at the minute so can't get a pic. It wasn't that bad just blue from where it had got hot! Big ends also need a grind. No1 shells had picked up.

It is a double grey, I don't think that is the problem as the setup is no different from last year. The winter strip down showed them to be in ok condition.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

hum,

weird how some have probs and others don't.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well I have all the parts together now to carry out the rebuild so should be looking good for the rollers day :)

The crank was salvaged as it wasnt as bad as first expected. The mains and big ends have been polished and the thrust face needed a extra 13 thou taken off. I also had the big ends cross drilled as the bearings were in poor conition when they were taken out!

Im going to open up the end float on the crank and I have had the rods modified to run more clearance.

It has also been suggested that when my crank has been wedged in the past it has had too much taken off it. So when it passes over the thrusts its acting like a knife edge and scraping the oil off the bearing. How true it is I dont know but it seems like a good theory *happy*

Apart from that not alot to report. Not been in the garage for weeks now and cant say im missing it! Reckon it may be time for a change to a clean hands hobby soon!

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well me and me bro made a last minute decision and decided to head down to Avon Park as the weather forecast was good.
Arrived a 10am as that is when it supposed to open but they were still prepping the track due to a good frost.

This has been the first proper event for us this year due to many problems with different things.

The car ran well at the rollers running 25psi but on the road it would only run at 20psi without going a bit too lean.

Car was running well today was busy though cueing up, so only managed 4 runs. I was a abit green though couldnt remember how to launch did two poor runs and then managed a 13.5@106. On the last run everything came together and managed a new PB of 13.27@105. Everything seems to be hooking up well with a 2.3 60 foot on road tyres. Feels like all the effort this year has paid off!

I was a bit dissapointed with the traps though I would have expected them to be higher! This week i will sort the running lean on full boost. Hoping to go to pod next weekend if the weather is ok!

Ron

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good going Ron, nice to see it coming together.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Home > Show Us Yours! > 2018 and beyond!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: