Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Speed Sensor for speedometer

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

Hi, has anyone got any pics showing how a mounted / fitted speed sensor for a speedometer?

rear drum or front wheel?

also i need to replace the magnets.. i take it that i should try and get the same size etc as this could affect the signal??

Cheers, Mark.

minimole23

4299 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I made an aluminum bracket that mounted to the brake caliper and cable tied the speed sensor magnet from my mountain bike to the wheel.

I'm going to do re-do it properly now, but it worked to check everything was running as it should.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

so brake caliper and brake disc could be ok..

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Doesn't the sensor get too hot on the brake caliper?

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

On 3rd Feb, 2010 Jimster said:

are you using gps now? where did you have yours before going fancy?

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Doing mine like Mike's albeit with a threaded sensor through the backplate http://www.turbominis.co.uk/photo/239/

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Mine does use GPS for speed, but I have wheel speed sensors for data logging. Although this is easy for me as I have disks on the back.

On the miglia's (with drums) we simply aim the speed sensor at on the wheel studs on the back of the hub, although you will need to modify one of the brake shoes for clearance.

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Pottsy

460 Posts
Member #: 843

Stoke-on-Trent. Duck.

On 3rd Feb, 2010 gavin@minispares.com said:
Doing mine like Mike's albeit with a threaded sensor through the backplate http://www.turbominis.co.uk/photo/239/

Same, though my sensor "detects" anything ferrous so I have a short bolt in the hub's-tapped-hole (for the drum screw) that sits just off the sensor.

I know a pic would be useful here but I don't have one. At least not yet any way...

Dave.

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Good idea Pottsy, sure Mike's setup uses the back of the head of the stud instead of a magnet.

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

nice - thanks for the link.

think i will have pilfer that idea.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Mine's mounted in the backplate of the rear drum. It picks the signals of the wheel stud heads passing over it.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Pottsy

460 Posts
Member #: 843

Stoke-on-Trent. Duck.

On 3rd Feb, 2010 Turbo Phil said:
Mine's mounted in the backplate of the rear drum. It picks the signals of the wheel stud heads passing over it.

Phil, have you got alloy hubs then? Otherwise how does the sensor distingush between the studs and the hub? I guess it works though?!

I ask as this was my concern - with the limited space available trying to keep the stud near the proximity sensor but away from the hub face, without the now long-rotating-stud wiping out bits of brakework!

Dave

minimole23

4299 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 3rd Feb, 2010 Jimster said:

The aluminium plate attatches to the back plate, but passes over the caliper.

It seems fine, even after I cooked the brakes at combe.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

On 3rd Feb, 2010 Pottsy said:

Phil, have you got alloy hubs then? Otherwise how does the sensor distingush between the studs and the hub? I guess it works though?!

I ask as this was my concern - with the limited space available trying to keep the stud near the proximity sensor but away from the hub face, without the now long-rotating-stud wiping out bits of brakework!

Dave

No, just the ordinary hubs. It works fine & has done for the last 6-7 years.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

[/quote]

Dave[/quote]

The sensor has to be within 1mm of the back of the stud, so the hub is probably too far away.

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Thread revival.

Could anyone assist me with this, feel like the sensor in the rear drum is the way to go, has anyone got any info on what sensor to use, or what length I need to get at least? any pictures?

Thanks, dan

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

what you need etc...will depend on what the speedo is and what sensors or triggers it needs.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

I'm going to use my dta to read the signal so it can be anything. I like the idea of using the threaded vr style one reading the studs on the rear. I had a quick look but they come in loads of different lengths and prices from £20 to £130. Would be good to know what people have used in the past, can't imagine you've got to spend 130 quid to get one that's reliable?

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Try www.digital-speedos.co.uk, they made me a sender unit that mounts on the speedo drive that produced the correct signal/wave for a Stack race dash I was going to use.

Shane

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

ah thats cool, cheers for that

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Depending of your wave requirements I still have the sender unfitted/unused if its of use to you?

Shane

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

Ah thanks for the offer but I've sorted it now *smiley*

minimole23

4299 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I made a bracket mounted to the output flange bolts, then just cable tied a magnet to the pot joint. Works well.

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

If you're using an A series box we stock these http://minispares.com/search/classic/gsd100.aspx

Home > General Chat > Speed Sensor for speedometer
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: