Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Sc12 Supercharged Small Bore - Teeth in the oil

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

What Carb is that pal?

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

is froma 900cc Honda I think. 38mm choke.
Flows well as it has all the vizard style ods from the factory, but its getting a bit small for the 12 psi now, so will have to move back to an old SU... pisser as I'm struggling to find anything around 44 mm choke size..

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well my not so secret, secret cam has arrived with new followers and a super duper chain...

I might have to start building this engine..

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well I had some time today, no pics as I forgot the camera.

The oil holes in the bearings didn't line up with the block and caps. So marked them out and used a small stone to ease the oil flow.

I cleaned the block with degreaser scrubbing brushes, and bristle cleaners until they came out clean..

I was a nice day so I did it out side in the snowy sun...

I put the rods on the scales and they are a little out of sync... There was a 9g spread between them. Now according to Des this is far too much, who recommends a 1g difference....
So I gave Senior Austin a call and asked him to balance the, going to get the crank done at the same time.

This engine building stuff is one step forward two back.. God knows what you guys have to do and check when building this super duper high powered stuff....

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Doesn't matter what engine you build, you should always check everything thrice. No point ruining your nice new engine for the sake of an extra few hours cleaning etc.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Ok havent done much as I have been busy but I need to get a wriggle on as I need t get the thing built, in the car, run in, setup for the Snowdon Scatter... that leaves me not enough time...

Anyway, I cleaned the rest of the parts-up, so the clutch cover and housing. I de-greased the carb and rebuilt it, need to sort the pick up point for the throttle and a return spring.

The engine has had its cam bearings changed and honed to the cam.

Trumpet action..

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well I was finishing some of the small jobs today ready for when I get the crank back from carl. In doing so I made a balls up... An snapped the second ring on the last piston.

I noticed I have put it on upside down and then snapped it trying to remove it... Pissed me off no end.

I have emailed the supplier and waiting for the price.

Still one of those things.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

(bike) carb wise, the "must have" on the big singles is the FCR available I think in 45 mm and rated as "the last step before injection"
Not that I disregard the SU but I fear it might be on the tall side for supercharger usual setup.

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

The FCR are a slide carb that must be a pain with the super charger. The SU does fit as it was designed for it. I dont have a choice as I need a larger cab than my old bike carb.

On with the updates, I need to get a move on for any chance to attend the Snowdon Scatter this year.

Block painted.

old lump out...

I have read stories about flywheels jumping... then ..

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I always anticipatethe flywheel jumping off, so I fit four of the cover bolts loosely withsome penny washers. The flywhell never moves more than an inch from the engine *wink*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

So I was offered a wedge'd, freshly reground 998 crank that was NI treated, so I bit their hand off.

So mine current crank thats at Carls will be my spare once it finished being heat treated.

So I slapped it in the hole... I checked the end float, and bearing clearances, I made sure that the bolts on my Force CMS had the same engagement as the std ones..

All bolted up and smoother than Barry White...mmm butter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBjYbCj2bfQ

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Crank looks spot on, but where is the thumbs up at the end? *surprised*

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well the pistons are in... I snapped a ring last week so had to get a new set an expensive mistake For one ring!!

Checked the rod cap clearances, slapped on some assembly lube, arp bolts and lube, checked the side clearance and left the feeler in there whilst torquing the bolts up, so the cap didn't move and..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzABF3Ycs6Y...be_gdata_player

Now Andy has me worried as I keep forgetting the thumbs up, is there anything I can do to please the engine god and overturn my misfortune?

Edited by gr4h4m on 6th Mar, 2013.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Looking good! what carb is that?

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well I got the new engine in the hole in the front of the car, connected everything up, and all looking good.

I went to adjust the tappets and the thing it rock solid. God only knows why.

I stripped the clutch off whilst its in the car and the primary turns freely. the C washer was very tight on te crank, so I changed it for a used version, stuck the flywheel back on... Still locked solid.

I pulled the rockers off and undid the head studs still rock solid.

Fuck knows whats gone on, rad out next and I will take the pulley off and see if it turns then.

Should have just bit the bullet and got a complete engine built I think. I will never do another,

Anyone sick of spending their life in a cold garage?

shellspeed

580 Posts
Member #: 9580
Post Whore

Surrey

Yep, so I got a heater. Now I spent half my life in a warm garage.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

It will be something silly that is locking it up. Pull it out and methodically strip it until it spins again, then reassemble checking each step.

I know just how you feel, I've had similar problems with mine. It will all be forgotten once it's running.

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

All sorted it was the new fangled retrosport billet cover. The lip on the cover that holds the seal must be a big bigger than standard, so it catches on inside of my pulley, as I run the management on the inside... so once I did the bolt up it locked the pulley against the cover... Pisser.
Should have gone for less bling..

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

take two this weekend.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Two steps forward three back..I'm nearly back to the point where I was lt weekend....

The new pulley seems to fit, just... The engine turns over and I set the rocker gaps, decided to go with my old press steel , as the washers caught on the Titan rockers and I didn't want to faf about with anything else. If only things fitted first time. That dsn cover whilst looks pretty on my setup has been a pain in the ass and caused loads more work, the dims are not the same as a pressed steel cover as my pulley fitted before....

You live and learn.. Like put the engine together and check the bugger still turns over before you chuck it in the hole in the front of the car!

Get the "cant be arsed with this project anymore syndrome" I under estimated the skill level in building your own engine and box, plus all of the cleaning involved takes much longer than you think.

Edited by gr4h4m on 25th Mar, 2013.

nala56

825 Posts
Member #: 9661
Post Whore

Sheffield South Yorkshire GB.

I have fitted my retrosport cover with an med pulley with no issues, I suppose they carnt get it totally right for every individual setup, never mind mate you've sorted it now.. Alan

Main Build
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=489133

Upgrade to Turbo
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=448367&fr=0

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Your motivation will go up again when it runs.

*hehe!*

shellspeed

580 Posts
Member #: 9580
Post Whore

Surrey

I have the same problem (regardless of cost of the item it appears) with fitting stuff that's aftermarket and supposedly for the make of car you are fitting it to. Modify 3 things to get one to fit. Drives me insane at times.

'after-market' = modify to fit
'universal' = does not fit anything

Edited by shellspeed on 25th Mar, 2013.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Yep I agree, I had to fork out for an med one. Lucky that the supercharger pulley was only 1mm out form my standard one... It being ally will no doubt mean a regular swap out...

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

well it runs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_9l8FOlAW4

Home > Show Us Yours! > Sc12 Supercharged Small Bore - Teeth in the oil
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: