Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Sc12 Supercharged Small Bore - Teeth in the oil

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Well it's been hunter'd hang wil's settings and it feels great on the road.

Very happy with the brackets from somerford so far. Just need to see if the last.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well, I'm going to the mk1 action day at the end of the month, and Crewes Missiles had a rolling road shoot out, last Saturday at the place I use so I blagged a place.

The car ran well on the day, but it had lost 16bhp at the wheels. I was thinking oh no, the engine is getting tired already, must be that bloke in the shed who built the engine....
I was thinking I will need to pull it and get it built properly... But it rev'd sweetly, no noises... speaking to Colin we discussed the fact that the map pulls timing when the inlet temp increases. I checked the water nozzle and it was blocked. I pulled the logs from the ecu sd card and yep the timing had pulled 10deg out as the inlet temp hit close to the sun😐.

Looks like the water jet needs to included in the servicing regime... And hopefully after some testing this weekend coming, it should be back to full power for the mk1 day 🤔

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

what WI is is this, IIRC the aquamist has some pretty decent filtering int he system

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Hi joe it's a home brew, going to chuck an inline wi filter and see if it improves...

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

nice to meet you thanks for the ride out and glad my car amused you with all its sparks and wobbly bits

mrs managed to get her petrol fau par sorted too .... bloody women !

Edited by monsterob on 18th Apr, 2016.

Outside the box

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Ha ha Rob, that spark was big enough to light a fag off!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

I forgot to say, I do use a devils own nickel nozzle with a built in filter. I never found any Debris when I stripped the nozzle? I switched to nickel from brass which seemed to fur up. Maybe they just need to be cleaned out once they have been stood awhile!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

ok unblocking the nozzle has worked a treat, the kit worked great at the Mk1 Action Day at Blyton.

It was a great day and a good fun track. after the sighter, lap we went out early to get to grips with everything before everyone took their brave pills.

The first lap and the car was all over the place, so after a cheeky little moment whilst turning left and having to steer right for far longer than I wanted too, we pulled straight in.
A check of the tyre pressures saw that they were all over the place, reset them and it was on rails again, where you can feel it slide but straighten the wheel and all was good, no more sawing at the wheel like a mad man, whilst screaming.

Anyway the event was great, well run, no crazy kids, some fantastic cars and a good feeling in the pits. I felt a little underdressed without a trailer and a boot full of tools, I guess it keeps you honest when you know you need to drive it home...

Anyway all good until I got home and found it was drinking its own oil. the catch tank breaker has got blocked and there was oil everywhere.. need to clean it up and have a look if its killed anything.. cue the posts tomorrow about breathers! :)

A quick video, I did see one blue turbo clubman that was very quick!... As there is a large Yorkshire TM gathering we should try and make it a day next year?

https://youtu.be/OdP4Htn0Ers

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Definitely on my list for next year :).

Looks a great day.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Ok so the mini looks like it tried to counteract the salt on the road and pump all of its oil out..

The catch tank was full of a mix of water and oil.
The breather pipes were blocked with the mayo. Oil looks liked it was coming out of the breather at the top of the catch tank and covering the Wok side of the engine.

I have checked the plugs and completed a compression test.

Cyl 1 2 3 4
Dry 140 139 130 135
Wet 152 158 145 149

All of the plugs are a red/brown colour and all even (I will post up some pics once I can remember my password)

History, I had to rebuild the engine last year with used 1000 mile piston rings so that I could make Brighton with my granddad after the machinist re-honed the bores, and I couldn't get any rings.

I had a leak down test in Feb time that showed cyl 1,2,4 between 8-10% and cyl 3 at 22%. We hoped that the rings would bed in some more but I'm not sure this is true now.

The track the car wet great MAT temp never went above 45deg and the water temp stayed below 75 deg. I did use 1.5 litres of water meth 50/50 mix.

There is still water in the rad and looks clean.

The oil pressure hasn't dropped below 50-60psi.

The oil level has dropped below min as it pumped it out once the tank filled I guess.

The breathers are 1/2 pipe from the rocker cover, (which now has mayo in it), one from the transfer case, and one from the dizzy banking plug. The transfer case goes straight to the catch tank, the rocker and dizzy T together and then to the tank, and the top of the tank has a small K&N style filter.

What are peoples thoughts? rings? and time to pull the engine?

I wanted to do Brighton at the end of the month in memory of my granddad who passed away, but it looks liked a bridge to far.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Is there mayo in the rocker cover?

Lets not forget that you are injecting water, which ends up in the combustion chamber, and if the engine is breathing heavy, that water will also endup in the crankcase? Not as water so to speak, but as vapour.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

yes there was mayo in the rocker cover, both engines have always collected water in the tank, I guess with a bit of oil vapour that gets mayo'e really quick..

Lucky we didn't have any further the engine would have run out of oil..

Edited by gr4h4m on 2nd May, 2016.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

I was thinking about an inline PCV and route the breathers to the tank and then back into the airfilter?

Bad idea?

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

A Video of the mess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cpbbA-QMm4

Breathers

Plugs

Tasty....

hmmm good job I didn't need to drive further, good rust protection..

Breathing Heavy?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Blimey!

Plugs look ok, they're a bit darker than you would normally expect, but it is tuned on the rich side and im not sure what the water/meth does to the colours

Did you use the sniffer on the coolant? And is that ok?

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Damn that sucks dude but you might have only popped the head gasket between water way and oil way?

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

I ran out of time for the sniffer, but the water never went over the low 70's even on the track and the water level seem normal. That's the next test that I need to do

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Faulty sender unit? Saying your not over heating when you are

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Temp guage and ECU both would have to read wrong *wink*

Edited by Sprocket on 3rd May, 2016.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Oh yeah. Forgot about the ecu but could be both I know highly unlikely but stranger things have happened

On 3rd May, 2016 Sprocket said:
Temp guage and ECU both would have to read wrong *wink*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Yep as Colin states, they use different sensors and both reading the same temp. The engine is running cold, I dont take it out this time or year, so its on a 74 deg stat. Even on the track the MAT temp was about 42-45 deg, the oil never went above 95 deg, and the water was at about 70-75.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

So, what oil are you using?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Millers ctv

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, you're not running it hot enough.

Put an 88 Deg thermostat in it and then the oil will boil off the water causing the mayo that then blocks the breathers.

Also, ditch the breather on the dizzy hole. Lot's of oil can come out through there. If you can, fit a front cover with a breather.

The heavy breathing can obly be cured by a re-bore though.

Edited by Paul S on 4th May, 2016.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Thanks Paul, I was coming to the same conclusion, I also think the cold air was also causing it to cool faster than normal.

I have already ditched the dizzy breather and I have some stats in the garage so I think I will try and experiment.

I know I have one cylinder not sealing as much as the others I was hoping and praying it would wear in as the engine is performing so well. I wanted to try and resist pulling it apart.

I also have been chatting with Colin who has given me a Pcv to try.

I'm hoping with a try of all of the above it will be ok👍

Home > Show Us Yours! > Sc12 Supercharged Small Bore - Teeth in the oil
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: