Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo-technics

turbo-tone

11 Posts
Member #: 8843

barrow-in-furness

Hi all, im hoping you can shed some light on this old turbo-technics suck thru setup ive had in my garage for last 15 years? any help much appreciated

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

what sort of help would you like, do you want to fit it or sell it?

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

turbo-tone

11 Posts

barrow-in-furness

i just want to know if it has any potential for use. the fact that it appears to not require a box in the lower bulkhead appeals, as the "weber box" that i have in my car is full-width so this would fit a treat. its at least 15 years old but i suspect much older, obviously it and the old 2"SU would need a rebuild at least, just hoping someone can say what its potential for a road car may be.

jpboost

111 Posts
Member #: 29
Advanced Member

Croydon

there was a mini van with one of these on at Brooklands show a couple of weekends back.

I didn't get to speak to the guy, but it looked reasonably neat.

it certainly gets the bulkhead/scuttle/bonnet hot though, as he seemd to have had some problems with the pain in these areas... even with shielding etc.

Sorry i can't be more help as to how effective it is :)

Too many projects!

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

I would have thought that for a moderate boost application (say 7-10psi) it could work very well.

Not as efficient as a blow-through with an IC, but not really much worse than the Metro Turbo Setup.

As you have one, and if you are after say 100bhp then it could be a good solution.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

should work well ,apart from the inlet manifold , 1 aqnd 2 are going to get a lot more mixture than 3/4.. the intercooling effect of the fuel running through the turbo is often not realised ,and can work well . theres a 15 psi suck through mini i helped design ,way back in the 80's,and it was ballistic !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Yep.

Got speaking to the guy who had the Van with the Turbo Technics install at Brooklands.

Looks a great install but heat was a big issue with the bonnet. So much so he had to buy a fibreglass job and fit loadsa lagging.

He said it went like stink and was running about 8 psi although he did buy it already converted and didnt know alot about it.

I've addeds some pics of his van and some detailed shots showing the clearances etc. I recommended he became a TM member, can't remember his name though.

Would be a relatively straight forward job by the look of the parts involved. The previous owner had fitted a NA HIF44.

Personally speaking - looks like a bloody nice job and if you do decide to sell, it'd probably make quite a bit due to its potential rarity.

Richard.

Edited by turbominivanman on 7th Apr, 2010.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

turbo-tone

11 Posts

barrow-in-furness

thanks for the replies, i agree the inlet manifold does look restrictive but after seeing the pics maybe it'll be worth fettlin as it looks great!

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

Just found an article in MiniWorld November 2007. It has the exact set-up from Turbo Technics.
See if you can find a copy. If not PM me and i might be able to help you.

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

dan187

774 Posts
Member #: 6724
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I like it, I want one! It's so neat.

1275 N/A Sprite, 998 T2 Turbo Mayfair
1275 EFi Turbo

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Member #: 11056
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

I have just bought the full set up off the van that turbominivanman put pictures off, going to be running it on my 1293cc, still trying to get my head round the set up as its like nothing I've seen before!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

My old man has a Turbo Technics sucker setup that's a little different to the one pictured, I'll dig out some photos. We got passed some details of an ex-employee who gave us a load of info a few years back, I'll see what I have.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

That's what I've got to hand. Second photo is from the advert when it was bought, first photo is on the rollers a few years back after some work was done, will look for the graph later. I can grab photos of anything specific if needed...

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Any chance of your number mate? So I can give you a ring a speak to you about it!

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

It's a neat setup... but you not planning to run an intercooler at some point? I though something you wrote in another post suggested you were?

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

I was going to run a intercooler, but this setup come up for sale so thought I'd do it this way, can't put a cooler on this set up as its a suck through system!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I recolgnise this from minimag/miniworld years back ??

On 15th Jul, 2015 e5tus said:

That's what I've got to hand. Second photo is from the advert when it was bought, first photo is on the rollers a few years back after some work was done, will look for the graph later. I can grab photos of anything specific if needed...

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

Dead easy to get this going.

1) Bolt it on
2) sort an exhaust
3) sort an oil feed
4) Sort an oil return
5) pipe up the fuel
6) Connect the throttle cable
7) Put a pipe from the manifold to the actuator
8) crank it over and see if it starts
9) Get the needle profiled on a rolling road.
10) enjoy

The only sticking point is the ignition. Mapped ignition is the best option, but there are others depending on how handy you are.

Edited by wil_h on 15th Jul, 2015.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Spot on mate, I'm running it on a 1293 block, with forged omega Pistons, straight cut gearbox with x pin diff, and having a load of work done to my 12g940 to lower the compression, he had the setup running 151bhp at wheels at 8psi of boost, so hopefully at say 15psi it should run close to 180bhp? What you think?

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

I think 151bananas at the wheels at 8psi is extraordinarily unlikely.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

I've got a dyno printout proving it! I thought it was a lot pal!

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Baldwins bananas?

In the 13's at last!.. Just

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Im sure its making good power but 151atw is rather unlikely, tis why hp is referred to as bananas on here. My mini made over 400hp on one set of rollers was clearly bollocks :)

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

This the kit from ebay?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Ryan, this should be fairly straight forward to install, drop me a message if you get hung up on anything in particular. Wil has covered everything.

I'd like to see that printout, got dad looking for his dyno figures. Wasn't anything like that.

Don't get blinded by the figures. Get it setup safe and be happy. If you want big boost this may not be the setup for you. There's a reason this kind of system isn't seen often!

Dave, yes, it was in one or t'other of the mags many moons ago.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo-technics
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: