Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo-technics

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Member #: 11056
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

That's fair enough about the dyno! And I'm thinking off modding it abit and running it like a normal set up with a intercooler, all Id have to do is take the carb off the turbo, put a extension pipe onto the inlet manifold and run it to the side, surely that will run better and air cooler!

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

...That's what I was trying to get at in my previous post. If you try to get an intercooler in there it will run like a dog with 3 legs. Fuel will drop out of susspension and mixture will be all over the place by the time it reaches the inlet.

May still be worth installing the kit for quick wins, but you may want to get a good idea about the engine you want to build first. If you don't have a clear idea, it can take FOREVER and cost more than it should (I should Know!).

Good luck. Get yourself a 'show us yours' thread; Interested to see how this turns out.

Edited by PhilR on 16th Jul, 2015.

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Will do Phil cheers! I'm gonna put it back to a standard setup, because as it is its a suck through system, dragging the fuel through the turbo, so I'm gonna change it so it goes straight from carb to inlet manifold, and Ye I will get a "show us yours" on the go!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Seems a shame to cannibalise a rare setup to make an 'ordinary' one, but hey, good luck!

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

So run BOTH carb and intercooler post turbo?... Got ya.

You certainly like a challenge! I should advise using the common turbo manifolds will be easier to do what your asking.... but that's not what I did either.

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Yer it will be easy to put back to normal, just out the carb back onto turbo and take pipe off inlet manifold

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Hmm I'm still undecided, if that is true about him producing 151bhp through that setup then I might just go for that, sure that will be fairly quick!

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

The 151 bananas atw is clearly wrong. Many people on here don't have that and have very well though-out cars. I'd be interested to see the printout.

The TT system has some potential though. I think trying to change it to a blow through with an IC is a non starter. If you want a blow through, get the metro stuff. The fuelling for a blow through is more complicated that with the TT setup where you just plug the fuel pipe in.

I reckon if you put this on and get it well set up you will still have a reasonably quick car.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Yes mate I'm gonna stick with it, not gonna change because as someone said further up it is quite a rare setup so I'll just see what it runs when it's on, and I don't no how to attach photos or id upload it! 😂

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I agree, I'd just run it as it comes. It may surprise you. Mike's mini was pretty quick when he (briefly) ran suck through, I struggled to keep up with it in my A3.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

What's your a3 running? Hahaha

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

It was only a 140nana Diesel but Mike wasn't running much boost at all.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Should be a relatively easy build. See what it drives like ang don't worry about rolling road claims. If you want more later, you'll already have an engine that's ready for boost so a good chance you won't have to pull the engine out, just collect the right bits and swap them over.

MITP in 4 weeks - Chop chop !!

Edited by PhilR on 16th Jul, 2015.

Ryancarlin1

74 Posts
Advanced Member

South yorkshire

Ye that's sound, thanks for all your help anyway! Can't wait to get it together now!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Righty, this is what I've found in the car...

Rolling road printout, 76hp (wheels) with 94ft/lb torque. Now come on, show us the 151 printout...

Original sales gumpf attached. Took some better photo's of it in situ...

What seems to be missing from the pic's at the start of the thread is the water heated inlet between carb and turbo. Does your's have this Ryan?

Attachments:

steve2016

81 Posts
Member #: 11403
Advanced Member

Did you manage to get this fitted? I just got one new and wondered if I should fit it to my 998

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo-technics
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: