Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Companies to Avoid > Ashley James Autotrim aka Mad About Minis

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

I just thought I'd share a friend's recent experience with this company:

Hi All,

I thought it important enough to put this on a thread all on it's own.

As most of you know at Castle Coombe in Sept 2009 I paid a £200 deposit on a full set of mpi leather seats, made in the same colour scheme as Libby who is a Picadilly. Also included was a set of door trims and new carpet all to be fitted at the next show.

We were on holiday so I paid a friend and paid for insurance so he could take Libby. We then received a call on the Friday to say they had not completed the seats due to a problem. But would come to my house the following Sunday.

I called from Spain and confirmed this arrangement.

The Sunday came and I had taken Libby out of the carcoon She lives in and put Her in my garage which is a large commercial one which would give them plenty of room to move around. By lunchtime no one had arrived so I called a few times but there was no answer. On the Monday I called and spoke to Stuart who must be the Manager or owner. He told me that I had got the date wrong and it was the following Sunday, but they could not do it as they were at the NEC! I checked my notes and my office staff notes and we had the date correct!

I spent the next couple of months trying to get Stuart to tell me when and what show he would be going to in the South. He kept saying he would be in Bath or Bristol or mentioned some other places but did not seem to know which show. I got him to confirm that he was going to the Footman James Bristol Classic Car show so booked in and then he said he was not going!

He told me during all this that the seats were ready and then later that he had to make them!

You know the story of Malvern last weekend. I eventually got him to confirm he was going to that one, so cancelled a week away in our motorhome in the New Forest and ended up on a mud logged field just outside Ledbury. I called on the Thursday and confirmed he was going and was asked to arrive early so he could get started. So we turned up at 08:15 and waited and called his mobile and left messages. He eventually called at 10:30 and said they had broken down and may come to the show or go to a garage. I told him I would wait two hours and left at 12:30.

I received a text saying the had gone to the garage and he would come down on Thursday or Friday to my home. I texted back and said Thursday and this would be his last chance.

I called on Wednesday to confirm they would be with us somewhere between 17:00 and 18:00 today.

So I called at 15:00 today having taken the afternoon off. I got through to the workshop to be told they were building my seats now! But they are supposed to be in the van which is at the garage being repaired! They asked me about the door cards as they had not made them either! They also forgot that I ordered a full carpet set!

Finally to add insult to injury they told me they were building mk II seats as that is what the Picadilly had originally. But when I went to see them at Castle Coombe in September 2009 and paid my £200 deposit the whole point was to get mpi seats made in the same colour scheme as the Picadilly and they even looked at my car and confirmed that would not be a problem!

Oh they also told me they were coming down tomorrow (Friday) afternoon! I explained that this was not the case as I had arranged with Stuart that they should be here today to fit them!

Stuart calls me and explains that they could not get to the van in the dealership so were making a new set of seats and his workers came in at 07:00 this morning to build them! They would also be leaving after the traffic died down and would be with me about 19:00. But it is a five hour journey!

Told Stuart I had had enough and wanted my deposit back. He promised to do this and call me later to make sure he had my card number. No call as of yet!

He also promised to make a set and show me how they could not make the Picadilly colour scheme with the MPI seats and email pictures of them.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no faith in this company whatsoever and have been patient over 7 months of continuous excuses. I therefore cannot recommend them to anyone.

Regards

Chris

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

nibble36

116 Posts
Member #: 4273
Advanced Member

stoke on trent

sounds very familier as a mate order his seat last yr and they should of been deliverd in december but never turned up on the date he did get the seats but no door card as they said the door card were deliverd with the carpet set lol he never orderd a carpet set , did get the door card in jan at bingley hall so he got all his stuff
good luck with this mate

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

deja vu? seems like the same stories that came out at the start of a certain engine builders demise

Not sure why people like this feel they can get away with it a few delays and a bit of poor customer service most can handle but like many one marque scenes the word soon spreads

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

I was told this story at malvern, as i was stood by where the company was supposed to be pitched, and he thought i was waiting for them too.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

pickmeup

568 Posts
Member #: 1200
Post Whore

Bristol

you beat me too it rob, ive known of a couple of other people that have been messed about by this lot! With all the money we spend on the cars and the closeness of the mini scene its stupid to mess people about!

Jackman

695 Posts
Member #: 984
Post Whore

Westhoughton, Bolton

Wow, really?

These guys are around the corner from me. Was going to get my seat repaired by them.

Manchester Minis

Alex

690 Posts
Member #: 1851
Post Whore

Woolavington, Zummerzet

We had completely the opposite experience.

Suzy had them inspect the seats in her car at IMM and agree on the work required, the entire interior was dropped off (along with a pile of other seats as part-ex) at MitP, and was ready for collection & installation at Castle Coombe.
MPi seats finished in leather & alcantara at a nice price - I am surprised that they have been giving people the run-around as the quality of their work should sell itself.

Metric is for people who can't do fractions.

ASHLEY_JAMES_AUTOTRIM

1 Posts
Member #: 8876

test post.

Edited by ASHLEY_JAMES_AUTOTRIM on 1st May, 2010.

MAX-N-PADDY

1 Posts
Member #: 8877

Ive been dealing with Stuart and the guys at Ashley James for the last 3 years.

In all Ive had probably 15 or 16 interiors for them for everything from a mini to a Jaguar XJS and ok sometimes Ive waited a while to get them but Ive allways recieved everything I ordered.

Ive not had a single problem or issue with quality and in my opinion the quality you get for the price is better than anything else out there.

My advice to anyone looking for an interior is use them, visit them and go and see what they can do for yourself. Dont listen to hearsay and what ifs and they did this etc on forums.

Its far to easy to criticize a company on a forum and damage what is an excellent reputation. If you look at the post 'companies to avoid' which this topic appears in; virtually every single company that supplies mini stuff is complained about. If we carry on complaining about companies and they keep disapearing we soon wont have anybody to buy from.

They all support the shows, they offer discounts to varous clubs and advice and help when we need it.

So I think we all need to cut these companies some slack, business is hard enough in this current climate without us complaining when the slightest thing goes wrong. You cant please everybody all of the time.

My dealings with Ashley James has been one of very a posative experience, I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend them to anybody.

Keep up the good work guys.

Mad MAX.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

edit: sorry not getting involved

Edited by Brett on 2nd May, 2010.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

minidave

83 Posts
Member #: 889
Advanced Member

warlingham jct6 m25 nr gatwick

well lets just say open promises

cant fix it F:(k it

almichie

824 Posts
Member #: 2065
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Your right - business is a hard thing. And unless you pull out all the stops to keep a good reputation, the enevitable will happen.

People are entitled to free speech and if they have an issue with something they buy or a service they receive surely it's good to let other people know?

I'm sure of you bought a sub standard car or sofa you wouldn't keep it and say "oh well"

Edited by almichie on 22nd Apr, 2012.

On 7th Nov, 2011 apbellamy said:
Shaft seems nice and snug

On 24th Mar, 2012 apbellamy said:
no no no no, you need more boost! you can never ever come on here and say I have enough boost, that's just silly.

On 29th Mar, 2010 Star Mag said:
these give no problems with good head

Home > Companies to Avoid > Ashley James Autotrim aka Mad About Minis
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: