Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > 6 Speed mini box

MadMatt

703 Posts
Member #: 105
1st to provide proof of a running Bimmy Conversion!

Brisbane ,Australia

i`ve got a 6-speed, mini dog engagement box that`s not going to be for sale *smiley*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh9Gr8fhinI

5th is one:one & 6th is an over-drive

www.miniman.com.au

"""LazyGoodForNothingSmartArseKnowItAllBackYardMiniMechanic"""

philc

1394 Posts
Member #: 1346
Post Whore

bromsgrove

there is now one forsale on tmf

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Just thinking out loud...

On the strip, would a 5 ot 6 speed box be any improvemnt over a 4 speed? More gear changes means more time of the throttle and less time in each gear

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Scruffy

1451 Posts
Member #: 328
Post Whore

Seaford Rise, South Australia

No the JKD five speed is 4kg heavier than the KAD 5 speed and being an overdriven box consumes more power than a 1:1
The JKD six speed would be heavier still!

Edited by Scruffy on 18th Aug, 2010.

On 5th Sep, 2011 Vegard said:
I stand corrected. You should know *wink*

Scruffy

1451 Posts
Post Whore

What is that based on Matt?

On 18th Aug, 2010 MadMatt said:
i`ve got a 6-speed, mini dog engagement box that`s not going to be for sale *smiley*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh9Gr8fhinI

5th is one:one & 6th is an over-drive

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 18th Aug, 2010 apbellamy said:
Just thinking out loud...

On the strip, would a 5 ot 6 speed box be any improvemnt over a 4 speed? More gear changes means more time of the throttle and less time in each gear

John Haston was running 12 second quarters using just 3 gears at the weekend! That's also with a cammy 16v engine, although very lightweight.

4 gears is plenty, particularly with a turbo.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

That was my thinking. We have a very short first in the van, so we are dropping into 4th near the end of the strip. A longer first may mean that we can stay in third and gain an extra 10th or two by not letting of to change gear

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I think the main bug bear on the van is the 60ft times as you have to snag 2nd after about 30ft!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Scruffy

1451 Posts
Post Whore

Wouldn't you need a longer final drive for that?

On 18th Aug, 2010 apbellamy said:
That was my thinking. We have a very short first in the van, so we are dropping into 4th near the end of the strip. A longer first may mean that we can stay in third and gain an extra 10th or two by not letting of to change gear

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

We have a 3.1 in there already. It's the helical box which has a short 1st in it.

An SC gearset would sort that out.

ewok

13 Posts
Member #: 9004

On 16th Aug, 2010 Tom Fenton said:

On 16th Aug, 2010 ewok said:
it cant be that hard !

It can be that hard!!

It only hard if you cant do it yourself!

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 18th Aug, 2010 ewok said:

On 16th Aug, 2010 Tom Fenton said:

On 16th Aug, 2010 ewok said:
it cant be that hard !

It can be that hard!!

It only hard if you cant do it yourself!

I like how there are a few that think that these things are easy *laughing*

at least some of us realise how difficult these things really are.That is not to say that it cannot be done, but its not just a matter of fitting a gearset from a bike into a mini gearbox. I am still wondering how this sliding reverse gear will be engaged, not to mention where this sliding gear has come from. Again this is not to say that it cannot be done, but its not exactly a 'simple' fit is it?.

Besides that, as others have said, is there any real need for more than four gears. top fuel drag cars only have three gears, and the common six speed transmissions on modern cars are mainly on the narrow torque band deisels.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

or high revving v8 motors such as the audi rs4 and the v10 m5 has a stupid 7 speed box.

Monkeh

159 Posts
Member #: 1997
Advanced Member

Lichfield

On 18th Aug, 2010 Sprocket said:

Besides that, as others have said, is there any real need for more than four gears. top fuel drag cars only have three gears,

is drag racing the only application for a non standard gearbox? wouldn't more than 4 gears be useful on a circuit?

apbellamy

16540 Posts

same principle as drag racing - you want to get up to speed and slow down as quickly as possibly. more gears won't really help that imo

*hehe!*

jpboost

111 Posts
Member #: 29
Advanced Member

Croydon

On 18th Aug, 2010 Monkeh said:

is drag racing the only application for a non standard gearbox? wouldn't more than 4 gears be useful on a circuit?

I really depends on the torque curve of the engine in question.

If you have a really peaky N/A motor, then lots of close gears is the way to go. If you're got a turbo motor with a nice spread of torque, then you don't need it so much.

It also depends on what your required top speed is. Many modern cars with 6 (or more) speed boxes, have very high top speeds, for this you need more gears to be able to pull high top speeds, and also be able to have reasonable acceleration low down.

Too many projects!

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

id say more gears is better for a circuit, as you can choose a gear thats going to pull you out of the apex of any corner the longest. on drag gear changes are waisting time. i only use 3 gears in total (2 changes) aswell.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Let's not forget this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ-HzNWJGM&feature=related

Something tells me he would be content with a four-speed *wink*

Edited by Vegard on 18th Aug, 2010.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

my dad's got a 7speed double clutch jobbie in his 335 5th at the redline is about 145ish not to sure why they have the 7th tbh probably hit 200 if it had the power lol

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Monkeh

159 Posts
Member #: 1997
Advanced Member

Lichfield

On 18th Aug, 2010 Paul R said:
not to sure why they have the 7th tbh

for some seriously good mpg id say. i wish i had another gear in my t5 :(

MadMatt

703 Posts
Member #: 105
1st to provide proof of a running Bimmy Conversion!

Brisbane ,Australia

Our`s was made by KG-Engineering here in Aust (now folded)

Very good for circuit work, but you`d want "BIG" grunt as the huge gear train & extra large/long motha-fukn shafts & all the extra "oil-pumping" characteristics caused by the 5-million gears in there all tend to suck the power,,, so, not so good for small Hp donks at all

The first 6-speed doggy we got (about 12-years ago) we busted 5th & 6th gears in half on the very first run,,,, we then re-designed & re-manufactured & all was well

this one we have now was also a pain in the butt for a while, as the reverse gear lever "Pin" broke & of course it`s the very last thing to remove from the box,,, it broke twice *frown* then we finally sorted that & it`s all good again

about 6 hours work each time,,, not counting remove & refit engine

*frown*

It sits under a 1600cc mini engine with Arden x-flow,,,, it`s fun but not the fastest mini in the world,,, Very Torquey
tho

a smaller/lighter gear kit, with 1:1 5th & over-driven 6th (like ours except lighter) would be just sweet,,, if it can be made to be repaired easier than ours, would also be a bonus,,, if it were cheaper than ours would be a double bonus ($10K)

www.miniman.com.au

"""LazyGoodForNothingSmartArseKnowItAllBackYardMiniMechanic"""

best_stig

453 Posts
Member #: 6449

Brisbane, Australia

I always wondered how much stuweys 6 speed was worth, but never had the balls to ask lol.

On 20th Aug, 2010 MadMatt said:
, if it can be made to be repaired easier than ours, would also be a bonus,,, if it were cheaper than ours would be a double bonus ($10K)

In boost we trust

Home > General Chat > 6 Speed mini box
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: