Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > astra 1.4 8valve lpg turbo.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I've just re-read the whole thread.

Discussion of pros/cons of PWM (or peak/hold) vs resistors started end Oct 2012 (1/2 way down page 4). I must admit I had forgotton most of what had been said.

The outcome seems to have been this,

On 8th Oct, 2014 robert said:
and the ease of trying resistors first ,which just worked fine so left it at that .
although there is an interesting post from Jean when he said you might have trouble with cold starting...

Re.
On 8th Oct, 2014 robert said:
i thhink it was something to do with the build of the ms brett .
I don't think the build is/was the issue whilst you are using batch injection.

The discussion went of at a tangent (don't they allways on this forum....) about the merits of sequential injection and/or using P&H drives when I pointed out that you can't use the MS2's PWM drives if you set it up for sequential injection.
Perhaps that confused things.
If it's a standard build (and having re-read the thread it certainly seems to be) then you can use the PWM feature with batch injection (ie, the standard two channels) which is what your current setup is.

Whether you want to give PWM a go or not is a different question. My personal view is that it will take a bit of experimenting to get the thresholds/limits set right in the software for LPG injectors as all the standard advice in the MS-E manuals refers to petrol injectors. But if sorted, cold start voltage issues will go away for the reason Jean has explained.

As for "noise", well, that's another story.
Physically PWM creates electrical noise. That's a fact of life. In my previous life I once had to force a large (and well respected) company to change the servo drives on their inspection robots from PWM to linear DC drives because the PWM noise was interfering with our ultrasonic inspection systems, even triple braid screened cables could not mask it.
But on my first MS2 (before I went to 4 channel and P&H) I ran PWM (as I use low z injectors) and noise was never an issue.
In fact it's back in the car at the moment (whilst I rebuild the loom for the 4 channel box to incorporate lots of other stuff) and there is still no evidence of it affecting the MS2 or any of the engine parameters, no loss of synch, missing teeth or any of the "usual" signs. The only evidence I have the noise exists is when I was testing some new code of Jean's a few months ago for multiple digital AFR displays and initially used an unscreened cable for the data transfer and had a few drops. Changed to a screened cable for the test and the problems went away.
So if your key sensors (esp. the crank VR) are cabled properly and everything is grounded where it should be, I don't think noise will be an issue.

But you will only know if you try it *smiley*

EDIT -typos

Edited by Rod S on 9th Oct, 2014.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well...

while waiting for it to get REALLY cold ,and sit there with my injectors stubbornly refusing to open ,i thought id make a load more work for myself , since its raining perpetually and i cannot work on medusa .

i seemed to be hitting a mpg ceiling of 31 odd . and want to make it better .soo, i decided to try to reduce turbine back pressure by fitting a bigger turbo .this should improve cruising economy.

to make it easy on myself , i decided to use a t25 60 trim , with a .49 a/r (and much bigger turbine) ,thinking it might just have the same exhaust outlet as my t2 ....er NO!! like a dufus i had forgotten the t25 has a 5 bolt flange ,and the t2 a 4 bolt flangeness.....bummer ..

so i was in the rain ,alone, in the dark , ( ok not dark, but sounds better) , thinking hmmm , t25 or gt17 ....17 means i have to make a new downpipe ,and has a smaller turbine ,but more efficient ..t25 is bigger turbine so better for economy ,but little less efficient , but then again , im crawling along the bottom of the map at 8 psi , so not really sure it makes much diff , and the wheel on the t25 comp is curved blade and very very similar to the gt17 hmm..OK decision made , t25 it is .

so after offering up the downpipe off the t2 a hundred times , it would slide nicely over two of the studs , but not the other 3 ,

so i decided to make a whole new flange out of 10mm plate .and down tube .

chain drilling and grinding for a few hours is such fun ,but hopefully tomorrow i can get on with the down tube and get it on the blimmen car ....oi vay!

robert.

Edited by robert on 15th Oct, 2014.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

what about opening the wastegate on cruise? be interesting to see what effect it has.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I fully appreciate the effort in cutting out that flange,having made a new backplate for the A series to BMW gearbox conversion some time ago.

What I hate most is the mess !

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

good point denis i had forgotten about those dual port operated wastegate cannisters , i wonder were i can get one ?

i think joe was using one on his vnt thingmy.

ooops hold on i think i have one , but its an odd setup , it used air velocity at the turbo inlet to feed the other side ,presumably at a certain flow it causes a vacuum and limits flow .weird!

i'll have a look at it today when im not crawling around the floor firing welding sparks in my ears .

EDIT.. renault 5 seem to have them .

Edited by robert on 16th Oct, 2014.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Yes t2 from r5s have them

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

okey dokey..

1)r5 acuator in the post ,

2)downpipe welded up ,

3)now coming to terms with a bit of a boost increase since i thnik the r5 acuator is a bit more than 5 psi climbing to 8 like my old one was . *happy*

4) hanger bracket for rear silencer on order so i can put a box on the back and get rid of the motorway drone.

5) at this rate i might just have another go at the idle valve ms2 malarky!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

well lots of fun trying to get the big compressor circlip on with only external circlip pliers ,

only way to do it in the end was to zip tie the housing on and then i could use 2 hands to pull the pliers apart ....malarky!

check out my sexy r5 wastegate , double entry sexiness!

the down pipe was fun too, now done with a bmw stainless tailpipe section as the elbow ,, and it fits .

had to angle the wastegate down to miss the block by making the mounting plate 10mm high at the far end ,this is the clearance ,,,all a bit snug.

now have the air filter behind the grill ,for cold air ,,,,this makes a big difference with lpg.

and a general ,where's the turbo gone shot of the engine .

start up tomorrow and ,,,the big question ,,where will big bog off barstard 42mm compressor boost come in ? i'm guessing 2200 and 5 psi by 2600 and 10 psi by 3200/clutch slip!..

time will tell.

robert.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Robert! Double entry! Really :)

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 20th Oct, 2014 gr4h4m said:
Robert! Double entry! Really :)

oh graham your a sick man !!(where's the innocent whistling icon ) *laughing*

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

ok doke, test drive completed ,boost comes in at 1600 2 psi to 5 psi at 2500 when it comes on cam , then 9 psi at 2900,so it feels much the same low down as before ....happy.

bit of mapping then dyno power test to compare .

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

that sounds quite reasonable

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 21st Oct, 2014 Brett said:
that sounds quite reasonable

thanks brett , yup it feels much the same below 2500 as before i think the l,ower back pressure on the turbine is compensating for the couple of pounds loss boost .

acid test is on friday when i do a 80 motorway troll and see how the economy is .

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

We'll done ! Good luck with the run

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

thanks graham ,

i now have to resist my ailment ,

the latin name of which is ,

'maxusboostus pedaldownus'

an offshoot of 'bigturbinus topendbananas' syndrome .

a nasty affliction that affects economy badly .

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

It would be nice to see what happens with a couple more psi of goodness.

Not if you're relying on it to get you to places mind.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I had been wondering for a while what the proper name was for that ailment, which does seem to be particularly prevalent among this gathering.

I have suffered it myself in the past.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

I've a feeling whether you've improved economy will depend on you're gear ratios and if you're on boost or not whilst cruising on the motorway.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

now spent a few hours rigging up a direct inj feed on cranking ,started straight up after refusing to run this morning in 9c , i wonder what will happen in -10c ? may have to rig up a solenoid to inj gas on a switch .

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

back again,

orl righty , i thought i'd have blunder about with the idle control valve.

so reading this ..

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/m...tepper_iac.html

i changed time step to 10ms ..no effect .

then tested for any voltages at the iac plug ,... no voltages at any of the 4 pins. did this with engine running and not running .

then switches off iac and switched on the spare ports 6 and 7 and used the throttle to send signal ,nothing , tried with both engine running and not .

also did the tests with the iac step page open trying different levels to see if it would provoke anything .

so no luck so far ..it appears there no signal going to the plug at all at any time .

i'm still on the archaic software not having had time to swap and redo my settings .

im guessing i either have the wiring wrong ,,the software wrong , or i have some how damaged the chip.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Load the latest firmware version, make sure you have the jumper between JS9 and S12C (which does provide 12V to the IAC chip) and use the test mode to check your output.

http://www.jbperf.com/

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

i think thats probably the best idea jean , like rod said earlier ...just dont have the time to quickly retranslate my settings ,but hey i'll get to it hopefiully end of the week .

in other news ,during my 600 miles i have done in the last 2 days , 165 of them were done in the stealth estate .

i drove to sheppers ,with the timing a bit backed off ,say 3 degrees just to be sure on the 9psi setting ,and was a little underwhelmed, no real change in torque from 4 to 9 psi .

oh ho ! i thought , too much retardationosity.

so , after doing 200+miles banging up and down the m4 in a v12 db7 , and finally getting to set off for the 80 mile drive home at 9pm last night , i thought , first ,lets map that ignition again .....so bunged in 3 d advance in the 9 psi range ...then set off for the 20 miles twisty thrash to bath ...

all i can say is , holey moley !!

what feels like about 50 lbs ft more .....surging up hills at 80 to 90 ,massive difference , cannot wait to get it on the dyno ..nearly ran into numerus hairpin bends ,and set new 1 hr 35 m record for the trip ,just a massive change in the car.

,now suffering a lot of 'maxusboostus pedaldownus'

i think i might forget this economy data...

oh , edit to add , i did notice towards the end of the trip , in higher gears on full bore acceleration a new rev limit occurred at 5500rpm ... im hoping this is because the tank was nearly empty,,and not because i hVE NOW REACHED FULL INJ CAPACITY ON MY 15 PSI FUEL PRESSURE SETTING .... RAISING THE PRESSURE WOULD HELP WITH THIS BUT NOT HELP THE TICKOVER ..ooops damn caps .

Edited by robert on 26th Oct, 2014.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

I assume that 15psi is absolute as opposed to relative or is it irrelevant?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

its 15 psi gauge rob so around 30 psi absolute .

its may be, now its all a bit more stable and setup , that i can run smaller pulse widths than 4ms , i think rod was talking about 2.3ms a while a ago , so i may be able to raise fuel pressure .

On 28th Oct, 2014 Rob H said:
I assume that 15psi is absolute as opposed to relative or is it irrelevant?

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 26th Oct, 2014 robert said:

oh , edit to add , i did notice towards the end of the trip , in higher gears on full bore acceleration a new rev limit occurred at 5500rpm ... im hoping this is because the tank was nearly empty,,and not because i hVE NOW REACHED FULL INJ CAPACITY ON MY 15 PSI FUEL PRESSURE SETTING .... RAISING THE PRESSURE WOULD HELP WITH THIS BUT NOT HELP THE TICKOVER ..ooops damn caps .

what about spark? 5500rpm sounds suspiciously like not enough spark energy / too big of a plug gap

Instagram @jdm_brett

Home > Show Us Yours! > astra 1.4 8valve lpg turbo.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: