Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > VE tables vs. engine characteristics

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

As set in TunerStudio (reset a few minutes ago) middle of screen says "multiply"

As viewed in MegaTune ( not a proper version as I have to use an early ini file

And in megatunix (look bottom left)

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

hum, so which are the issue, the M's or the T :/

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I've just burned "multiply" using MTx and TS now recognises it even though it failed to burn it itself but said it had.....

There is something seriously wrong with TunerStudio.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

perhaps a special bug that vanishes if you pay 30 quid....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

You also have EAE enabled :(

Edited by Paul S on 22nd Aug, 2010.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 22nd Aug, 2010 Paul S said:
You also have EAE enabled :(

That's because I just did the burn from MTx where the default is enabled..... I haven't re-written all the settings in MTx yet.

I was only trying to prove the MAP settings are screwed when burnt from TS and corrected when burnt from MTx

I've now got to go and set everything right in MTx and re-load it and ignore what TS says.

(edit - typo)

Edited by Rod S on 22nd Aug, 2010.

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

On 22nd Aug, 2010 Rod S said:

I need my resident psyhoanalyst to restrain me......

i dont know why ,but thats just reminded me of that old joke ...you know ...

where the doctor says to the girl

''now then , big breaths ''

and the girl answers

''yeth ,and im only thixteen!''

*happy*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

*hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Whilst you may feel better having found another reason to not use Tuner Studio, I do think that you really should not let anything talk to the ECU that you are not 100% sure about.

I would wipe TS and Megatune from your computers and your memory for all our sakes *happy*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

MTx has a very small number of users and I don't even know if there are actually people running engines with 3.0.3 and MTx. Practically everyone running 3.0.3 uses TS. So if there are inconsistencies, I would strongly suspect MTx over TS.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well after nearly 8 hours I got to the bottom of it and it now runs as it should.

Paul, I would have happily carried on using MegaTune but last year that choice was efectively taken away from us when it could no longer accept the larger menu sizes of the improved code. Despite that, I still use it now to double check everything I load although I have to frig it with an early ini file to get it to work.

Jean, despite what you say both MegaTune and MegaTunix were telling the truth and TunerStudio wasn't. It took a good night's sleep to figure out why, and about 10 minutes this morning to prove it. It's down to the functionallity that was removed during the "upgrade" to 0.999.7 "Lite" and most likely wouldn't affect anyone who has paid to have the basic functionallity returned.

However, the fact that MAP=multiply had been screwed during that "upgrade" and not recorded wasn't actually the basic problem.

First, looking back at last years successful run, it's obvious the pulsewidth needs to be very low at idle

As you can see, the pulse widths were less than 2mS but I couldn't get below 3mS for the last week.

I tried re-burning the firmware with the earlier code, tried changing every setting I could think of (all this on the JimStim) but could not get below 3mS.

So I went back to basics, the fuel equation Paul quotes on the previous page, and loaded every single gauge that affects the equation and altered PRM, MAP (using a syringe) and recorded the VE table values and everything else in the equation.

Because I had vetoed everything to do with acceleration (Paul's prognosis of the fault) you can see the Gamma and enrichment gauges basically show 100% in all the tests,

1000RPM

2000RPM

5000RPM

5K plus RPM when it shifts to single pulse mode.

And just to prove I had reasonable values for CTS, MAT, TPS,

Ive done the maths on all those screen prints (too long to post) but in all cases, taking injector openning time into account, the pulse width is 1.5 - 2 mS too long.

So I went back to all the settings again looking for something that was adding 2mS and despite everyting "acceleration" turned off, I eventually spotted this,

Despite everything acceleration being turned off it had the mythical figure of 2mS showing on the screen....

But it's a RATE OF CHANGE of TPS graph so should have no effect (especially as acceleration is turned off) and there is no rate of change on the JimStim and minimal on my engine.

But low and behold.

As found,

and as input dropped from 100% to 0%

Pulse widths back as they should be......

Why this doesn't show on any of the gauges, why it works when acceleration is turned off, and why it is as large as 2mS is beyond me but, 8 hours later, I put the MS2 back in the car and it ran fine, AFRs around 13-14 at idle.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I did say that I thought that was the problem.

On 22nd Aug, 2010 Paul S said:

My money is on AE. I know that you think that you have set AE not to come in at idle. So did I at one point, but still found that although the engine was running below the lower AE threshold, I needed to increase all the settings by a factor of 10 to get the engine to idle at all.

Although you have cured the problem by taking the TPS based AE out of the equation, I think that you will find that the MAP based AE will cause all kinds of problems once you start driving.

I have still got mine set at 100% TPS based, but have set TPSdot to 300%/sec.

That has more or less cured it but I still get an AE induced cough at around 2000 rpm if I stab the throttle.

The RR video and my datalog show it in detail.

Anyway, glad you are getting somewhere. I was worried that you may have started throwing things *happy*

EDIT: The reason that you are getting 2mSec added is the curve in the AE Wizard window. Press the box with the three dots and a table drops down - they are the numbers that need revising.

EDIT2: Because TPSdot is set to 0, the slightest noise on the TPS signal would have induced AE.

Edited by Paul S on 23rd Aug, 2010.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 23rd Aug, 2010 Paul S said:
I did say that I thought that was the problem.

You did and because it wasn't obvious where it was being affected, I got sidetracked by the MAP=multiply setting being wrong in TS but right in MT and MTx so I went off on a tangent......

A good night's sleep and some methodical investigation, not just random changes, allways works in the end.

I'll have a look at the way those tables are structured (as you say) but I'm still surprised the effect doesn't show in any of the "normal" gauges" - or I would have surely seen it sooner.

EDIT - just seen your "EDIT 2" - I do have noise on the TPS signal even on the JimStim - I guess it's power supply related - but the logs only show it as about 0.1V fluctuation.

Is it really that sensative ??? - it will be a lot worse on the car.....

Edited by Rod S on 23rd Aug, 2010.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 23rd Aug, 2010 Rod S said:

EDIT - just seen your "EDIT 2" - I do have noise on the TPS signal even on the JimStim - I guess it's power supply related - but the logs only show it as about 0.1V fluctuation.

Only because you have TPSdot set to zero, then the slightest fluctuation will trigger it.

EDIT: The dips in PW you were seeing were probably the ECU sensing a miniscule drop in TPS.

Edited by Paul S on 23rd Aug, 2010.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well hot restarts are fine now, even with the inlet plenum too hot to touch.

The next issue is my IAVC control loop is screwed (or maybe the valve itself) as it's not resetting to zero between starts so the restarts are with a very high idle.

Next problem to fix before I address the VE tables, which I'm sure now is the way forward.

Paul, in your case (above, previous page) did you add the lines above 100% MAP (Fuel load) manually or did some other setting in MS2 create them for you ??

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Paul, in your case (above, previous page) did you add the lines above 100% MAP (Fuel load) manually or did some other setting in MS2 create them for you ??

I added them. Basically copied the 100% line and then factored the whole line up to give a lower AFR than in NA mode.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Rod,

I'm glad you found out that I was wrong about which software to trust but I'm sorry if I caused any additional effort on your part. And I'm really annoyed (obviously not as much as you) by the root cause of this.

I'm glad to see you're making progress. Have you tried the test mode for the IAC to make sure it's behaving as it should? It might be missing steps so you may need to play with the settings but you may also have to bypass the current limiting resistors on the bottom of the MS card.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Jean,

The software "issue" was me not thinking entirely logically at the time (hence a good night's sleep and I realised) - part of the functionallity removed from TunerStudio during the "upgrade" to "Lite" is it's ability to read what's actually loaded to the ECU so whenever you click on any settings panel it shows you what it thinks should be there (most recent msq???) not what is actually there. The old Megatune has a button to read the settings from the ECU and MegaTunix reads the ECU by default.

The root cause is strange, in as much as it appears to be triggered by tiny fluctuations in the power supply affecting the TPS signal.

I presume the default of 2mS added is because it's about right for an american V8 - the default "Reqdfuel" loaded is 15mS so an erroneous 2mS won't make much difference, but it makes a hell of a difference to a 3.4mS (actually 1.7 per injector in sequential mode) setting.

Re. the IACV, I've got a spare identical one sitting on my desk ready to test on the JimStim tomorrow, I just have to make a suitable jig to mount it in to mimic the "stop" inside the valve body otherwise the pintle just winds out the end and falls on the floor when it's trying to zero itself....

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well done rod and paul and jean for finding a solution ...

.shame there isnt a george... then we could change rod to ringo and have a set !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 23rd Aug, 2010 Paul S said:

Only because you have TPSdot set to zero, then the slightest fluctuation will trigger it.

EDIT: The dips in PW you were seeing were probably the ECU sensing a miniscule drop in TPS.

Thinking it through and looking at the default graph again, the default setting is 2mS at TPSdot = zero.

Assuming TPSdot is the usual mathematical shorthand for d/dt(TPS) - which it probably is as the scale is %/sec - then you don't need any minor fluctuations on the signal and/or power supply...... 2mS is being added for absolutely no change in TPS (ie, its voltage output).

I'm assuming that is the default and not another "bad" setting from when everything went pear shaped a week ago as I installed the latest code and used its ini file as a new "project".

Rather than change the TPSdot threshold, I'm going to try changing the graph - currently it adds 2mS for a stationary throttle and 15mS for a fast openning throttle. I'm currently predicting my maximum pulse width to be 5mS - add another 15 would send things massively rich. As the default ReqdFuel that comes with the standard ini file is 15mS and mine is just over 3 which is actualy 1 1/2 per injection in sequential mode, it seems to me all the points on that graph need dropping by a factor of 10 for the siamese application.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I'm going to have to get smarter! Or less lazy and read things properly.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It was the TPS d/dt that I factored up by 10, but you are correct, you also need to significantly reduce the added pulse width.

At least this has helped me further understand AE and how it works!

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

The TPSdot threshold has to be set to a relatively high value because even a difference of a few mV in the sampled signal will result in a significant TPSdot because the delta t is very small. And even without any noise from the electrical components there will still be some sampling noise which will always result in a non-null TPSdot.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Jean,

I think I understand - even though the TPS voltage spikes are VERY small in absolute voltage, the ones I have logged are very "sharp" and regular. That's using a standard PC PSU (so switched mode) for the power supply. It will have been worse on the car having an un-regulated battery charger connected to compensate for the knackered battery.

Because they are sharp spikes that means d"Voltage"/dt (ie, TPSdot) is going to be large and very regular.

What do you think is a suitable threshold or is it just trial and error ???

Rod.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > VE tables vs. engine characteristics
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: