Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Track, Drag & Race > Smart Performance RR day and RWYB Weekend (2-3 October 2010)

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

well id didn't make 300 so i'm crying, and don't want to talk about it!

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

come on you bunch of tight lipped fuckers!

what did starmag get?

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

Nic

9313 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

That would be telling...

Matt you party pooper

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts

No just didn't want to steal your glory mate *wink*

wintersurferuk

825 Posts
Member #: 2208
Post Whore

Essex

great day just got in! made it home in one piece.

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

i'm waiting for roberts report too :)

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Really good day. Nice to meet some of you guys.

179hp and 182 ft lb plus nothing breaking after a 300 mile round trip is good enough for me.

Pauls 160 @ 10psi is fantastic!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Well the MK1 did not get me home alright. I have just got in the door i have been sat at the side of the M25 in the rain. It all went tits up at 9.30 so i am wet and pissed off.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

just got in,

dinner waiting on the stove, Sweet!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

ergh!! well croakey sore throat morning , but feeling fairly happy with the days fun .

finished putting the car back together 6.39 fri evening ,raining and manky ,so left it ,and first drive was out on saturday morning at 8 am .pleased to say nasty noises gone ,and, apart from about 10 psi in one front wheel ,no dramas .went to services at oxford and filled up with v power and some air in the tyre ,and off up to the m40 .
cruised up at about 70 mph true speed and nothing dramatic ,apart from some reasonable fog listening to the radio ,and thinking ,oh , is that a new noise etc from the engine .but it was all ok .
got there about 10 ish ,saw the tt on the side of the rd ,said i knew where to go then lead off on a wild goose chase ,and then saw tom and his pug and we all ferried into the site .

chatting took place ..
then some more chatting ..
then we all talked a bit ..

finally we summoned up the impetus to start a bit of casual rr ing ,and the numbers started to be produced .

one slightly shocking thing was to see aaron alrready on the top of the board (starmag ),at 236 bhp !! from an earlier foray into the 23 psi region ..so that was a bit of a blimey ,dont think well get that high !

so my runs went well , but i was aiming for 23 psi across the board rather than a pk ,and could mANAGE 19 PSI, but made 210 at the wheels 230 bhp at the crank ,so thought hmmm ,for the boost level ,thats cool .

then nic went on with his intercooler with a car on it ,,barstard smashed my poxy 230 ,with an outstanding 259bhp .BLIMEY !!
then aaron with another 236.3bhp ,then matt with his lower than 300 (but only just) number .so then, very kindly ,chris let me stick mine back on with my side exit exhaust/amplifier on there .this was a little bit loud ..

this netted me a 221 at the wheels 241 bhp at the crank ,still on 19 psi i think...but i data logged it and can check it out , i wound the bleed valve open as much as poss ,but i think it lacks sufficient flow .

ill do a graphs analysis if i can .think iv sussed out why rpms seemed low.

a great success , good facilities and barbie ,well done to chris and staff ,and the mini world magazine people where freindly and chattable .

so then changed exhausts in the dusk ,and off at about 7.15 ,quick stop for fuel at oxford ,and home at 9 ,phew .

used about 25 quid of v max for the 180 mile round trip ,and i think thats about 44 to the gallon ,so happy with that too .

oh , no slip on my or nics rts clutchs . hurrah!!:)

regards
robert

oops forgot to say thanks to wil for bothering to organise it .

oh ,and the best sound of the day i thought went to toms car ,which sounds like a silenced 6r4 up until it had a bit of a malfunction and went onto 3 ,booo,,,but then went onto 4 on the way home... hurrah.
i couldnt really hear my side pipe so i dont know what that sounds like .

Edited by robert on 3rd Oct, 2010.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Nic

9313 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Good report robert!

And congratulations on cementing your place in the 200club!!!

There's some high hp cars kicking around now, aarons 236 is huge and a worrying think to be greeted with on arrival, hopefully his unluckyness will vanish for next year

jamz

1342 Posts
Member #: 2292
Tool

Herne Bay, kent

some big power being put down now. congrats to everyone.

On 27th Apr, 2010 Rick.SPI said:

cant beat a good blowout.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Wow 200 looks like the new 100! Amazing results

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Well as usual it was a last minute dash getting the car sorted after its recent rebuild. And finished getting ready in the morning.

It was a good day lots of banter going on and spoke to some new faces.

As Robert had said i have been on the rollers there to check my top end fuelling as I don't really feel safe doing it on the road any more. And was surprised to see that it was on the leader board! I was then a little worried that it wasn't going to produce the goods again!

The first runs were a little low on boost peaking to 23psi and then levelling to 20psi. A bit of bleed valve tweeking and the boost was spiking to 25psi and slowly tailing off to 20psi. Very pleased with the result as it made 236.3 bannanas on the previous outing and then 236.6 yesterday.
Was madeup to see that it was consistant.

Another good TM rolling road day. Thanks to Wil and chris and all involved. Looking forward to next year already. It will be interesting to see how many people will be running side pipes next year *hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

We had a good day, but came away disappointed with the figures for the 998Ti.

The first couple of runs came up at 93/96hp. On the third run, Chris felt that something was wrong, although it showed 101hp. So we pulled it off the rollers to let everyone else get on with it.

We had logged the whole thing and I'll post the logs in the EFi section later. however, all the logs showed was that the boost was slow to rise on the third run.

After much theorising as to the cause with various people throughout the day, we could not quite understand what was going on. We were getting 105lbft torque at 4400rpm, but it was dropping away. Considering my crowing about my nice flat torque curve last week, it was very disappointing.

Anyway, we had a good day chatting and chatting.......

Great results folks.... 5 ports rule again. Actually no twin cams and just one 7 port.

The car drove drove home like an absolute dream. At one point nearly hitting the rev limiter in top (2.95 diff!) showing a classic porsche 911 how it's done! Certainly nowt wrong as we were getting full boost at 4k, no problem.

Sitting in the armchair later musing over the days precedings, it suddenly ocurred to me that as we had aborted the session, we had not done the coast down run. As we had gone on the rollers early on in the day, we had not understood how they were determining the losses. In fact, they were doing the coast down run last, then the figures were adjusted up.

So, I'm waiting for confirmation from Chris, but it looks like we may have hit our target 120hp after all.

Big thanks to Wil for organising the day.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts

Nice Write up Robert, well done on your cracking results. My and Aaron with his super results are up against it now, the T3 boys are starting to lose the battle. (glad he's in the club now *wink*)

I to saw Aaron on the leader board and thought man he's got the old girl up to power fast! and kept that quiet as well.

I don't know why I put myself through this every year, must be for the crack and the people lol, as I get a little nervous shell we say when pushing for a 3 number, and yesterday was no exception. In the end a figure of....... 295 BHP was achieved. (maybe i should have added another PSI but there you go lol, made it there and back after 3 hour drives all ok, so that has to be a good result.)

Edited by Miniwilliams on 3rd Oct, 2010.

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

Was a great day, well done Wil for putting it together and running 3 cars on the day! Cheers Chris/Ant for a well organised event. The mix of cars was great and the power the boosted boys are getting is credit to all of them, moving on each year - looking forward to next years developments. I ran my 7 port and pretty much matched the engine dyno figures within a couple of peprcent- 129hp on the rollers - so the numbers people reached are accurate ! good to see you got back in one piece Tom.

JK

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts

Yes was nice to have you there John as a tester :) Your car sounded so sweet on the rollers.

wintersurferuk

825 Posts
Member #: 2208
Post Whore

Essex

159.2 bhp and 162.6 ft:lbs @10psi.

not bad for my first engine build and a t3!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 3rd Oct, 2010 Miniwilliams said:
Yes was nice to have you there John as a tester :) Your car sounded so sweet on the rollers.

i think so too ,matt , ithink johns car was louder than my pipe ,and that was his inlet !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Not much more to add, I've had a think about it and I think my hunk of junk was probably a bit poorly before it saw the rollers, strangely enough it was a bit shitty 2/3 cyl at slow speed getting to the M42, but then once up above 2500rpm ish it cleared up, and I drove it up the motorway at 75mph with normal water temps etc.
Getting off the motorway and doing slow speeds again it was back on 2/3 though, and pouring steam out the back.
Just about made the last few miles home with it starting to get hot as it used its water up, but nevertheless made it home OK.
Did a comp test last night once it had cooled down, 1 & 4 = 11 bar which shows the rings have bedded well as its higher than when I first built it, however 2 & 3 = 4.5 bar, not so good!
But even with the dodgy gasket it made 192bhp, so when in rude health again I am definitely going to take it for a map tweek and go for 200+.

Big thanks to Robert for the use of his tools for a quick bit of an investigate, John for fetching me a crank and slip last night, and everyone else who made it a good day out.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 3rd Oct, 2010 robert said:
oh ,and the best sound of the day i thought went to toms car ,which sounds like a silenced 6r4 up until it had a bit of a malfunction and went onto 3 ,booo

Ha ha thanks Robert, it does sound pretty savage on boost, I was intending it to not be noisy as it has a 2 box system, oh well failed on that count then...

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

note for everyone ..
having looked at the software on the rr, it applies a smoothing function to the graph .if this is taken down a bit ,then the graphs get more detail ,so before you all get analysing , ill see if i can get the raw data files of the runs and put them through a de smoothing process .may take a week or so ,but might come up with some higher rpms and so on .watch this space .

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd Oct, 2010 robert said:
note for everyone ..
having looked at the software on the rr, it applies a smoothing function to the graph .if this is taken down a bit ,then the graphs get more detail ,so before you all get analysing , ill see if i can get the raw data files of the runs and put them through a de smoothing process .may take a week or so ,but might come up with some higher rpms and so on .watch this space .

That explains why they have "Max Power" and "Max Engine Power" figures then. Most had another 10hp *happy*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Wow some mega impessive figures, i was going to say it sounds like we have some very happy power fighure rollers, everyone seams to be 50hp up on last years at northampton, but after johns comment on the 7port it sounds fine.

So guys my questions to you lads with the 230+ power figures what have you been doing with the motors, is it end of season so just crank the boost up or have there been some clever mods done.

Has some one got all the figures to make a list of whos car run what with brief spec

rick

Home > Track, Drag & Race > Smart Performance RR day and RWYB Weekend (2-3 October 2010)
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: