Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Trackday N/A 1380

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Well, we've done normal N/A, low boost FI and have high boost FI in the pipeline so for my old daily its time for high power N/A. This'll obviously be fuel injected using megasquirt and the siamese code :)

Engine spec will be 1380 with fully worked bottom end, something similar to the MED clubman race cylinder head, 296 or higher duration scatter cam, circa 12-12.5:1 CR and all the other usual bits and pieces.

Fueling will be via a normal single weber DCOE inlet manifold with a Jenvey TBS45i. 2 1000 or 1200cc high impedance injectors (Bosch P/N: -1580561000/1580561200) which will hopefully provide us with enough fuel at high rpm's and also give a satisfactory idle. If it doesnt then we can go to staged injection and possibly put the secondary injectors in the inlet runners *oh well*.

Ditch the EDIS and run the coilpack directly, use a idle valve instead of stepper motor to keep the nitrous outputs free *happy* and obviously have the cam signal input and dual widebands.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

It's going to be interesting to see how tuning with the large overlap will be. I'd be surprised if you were able to use the single pulse with such a big cam.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The idle will be interesting with large injectors and a wild cam.

I've got mine pretty good now on 2 1000cc (low z) injectors but it's still not quite as good as yours/Pauls 998Ti although the total injection capacity is pretty much the same. It makes me wonder if two smaller injectors in parallel (as per the 998Ti) regulate better at very low pulsewidths than one large one, although I can't make a direct comparison to yours because you are on the single pulse and I'm on two which inevitably are much shorter.

I've also got my IACV on closed loop control which makes quite a bit of difference for me - it is "active" most of the time when idling, only a few steps either way, but enough to make a difference. I don't know how responsive a standard PWM idle valve is compared to a stepper motor if you found you needed the closed loop control because of the cam.

What's the timescale for this ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Sounds like a lot of fun........ *crying*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Evolution Studio 2

49 Posts
Member #: 4864

Northants, England

Axel wont be happy! You'll be putting his rebuild to the back of the queue!

Also you'll have to help finish mine if you want the trailer *wink*

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

You boys have too many projects. lol

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Post Whore

Northants

It was your idea!

On 2nd Sep, 2010 Paul S said:
Sounds like a lot of fun........ *crying*

sturgeo

857 Posts
Post Whore

Northants

The timescale is relatively long as i don't have the funds at the moment and building the engine and box by itself is going to be pretty costly and hopefully by then MS3 Extra will have the siamese code, that'll then allow me to use the normal stepper motor for idle.

Idle will be interesting with a wild cam but then again it would be with a weber anyway...

Other than the cam sensor i want to keep it to "off the shelf" parts as much as possible so fuel injecting the a series appeals to more people who don't have the confidence, skills or knowledge in regards to designing their own inlet manifold successfully (and also so the old man doesn't have as much work to do) or becuase it seems such a daunting task

Edited by sturgeo on 2nd Sep, 2010.

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Keep us informed on the FI. Could be interesting

I seriously doubt it!

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

Idiotic question : am I right thinking the added value of FI on such a setup is only in fuel economy and smoother running ?

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 2nd Sep, 2010 Advantage said:
Idiotic question : am I right thinking the added value of FI on such a setup is only in fuel economy and smoother running ?

We have yet to prove that the EFI will give more power, but there is every chance that it will.

We can optimise the setup so that all cylinders run very close AFRs.

How many people have actually put 2 or 3 wideband sensors on a Weber'd A Series? They may be missing out on power but do not realise it.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 2nd Sep, 2010 sturgeo said:
The timescale is relatively long as i don't have the funds at the moment and building the engine and box by itself is going to be pretty costly and hopefully by then MS3 Extra will have the siamese code, that'll then allow me to use the normal stepper motor for idle.

Why can't you use the stepper motor with MS2? The hardware for the stepper controller is the same on both MS2 and MS3.

And I wouldn't count on the siamese code to be on MS3 any time soon (or not so soon). By the way, there is no MS3 extra: there is only one code version which is MS3 and is done by the extra guys.

Jean

sturgeo

857 Posts
Post Whore

Northants

Hi Jean, as this is going to be N/A i wouldn't mind giving nitrous a go further down the line and possibly control it via the megasquirt which as you know means using the stepper motor outs :(

Not sure if it would be best to use a dry system and inject the extra fuel using the existing injectors (only really viable on the 1200cc jobbies) or use a wet system but then there is no control over what goes where *oh well* would be interesting to see what it does to the individual afr's though.

Sorry, i meant MS3X.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 3rd Sep, 2010 sturgeo said:
Hi Jean, as this is going to be N/A i wouldn't mind giving nitrous a go further down the line and possibly control it via the megasquirt which as you know means using the stepper motor outs :(

Not sure if it would be best to use a dry system and inject the extra fuel using the existing injectors (only really viable on the 1200cc jobbies) or use a wet system but then there is no control over what goes where *oh well* would be interesting to see what it does to the individual afr's though.

Sorry, i meant MS3X.

You need to use the stepper outputs only if you use 2 nitrous stages and you have COPs or if you use FIdle for something else. Since you want to use a wasted spark coil, you could use Fidle+D15 if you use 2 nitrous stages or simply Fidle.

There is also the possibility of using the I/O Extender and have the nitrous I/Os done through the CAN bus. And that opens up a lot of additional possibilities such as reading the LC-1 data directly from the serial link instead of having the LC-1 transform the AFR data into an analog signal and having the MS retransform it into a digital data with all of the potential error sources such as noise, ground offset, 5V reference offset.

And if/when you do go with the MS3, it can take advantage of the I/O Extender features even more.

Jean

sturgeo

857 Posts
Post Whore

Northants

Sorry Jean, we've been looking at the ms2 options table and hadn't realised that you could change it from using JS0 & JS2 to FIdle & D15 as displayed in tunerstudio.

Using FIdle on its own will be fine as i wont be using it if i can use the stepper motor outs.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I too have been going by what's on the printed options tables in the MS-Extra manual so I too hadn't realised there are actually more options than printed in that table.

As an aside (for Jean) is there any "hidden" documentation about exactly what can be done with the CAN bus - again, detailed information seems hard to find.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

The text here mentions the other options for nitrous. You're both correct that this table is not complete and should be updated.

There is some documentation here for what is available (down the page) but it is somewhat outdated. There is also what you can find when using TunerStudio. Everything that mentions a remote port for an option means that it can use a port from a device over the CAN bus.

I'll have to make a table of what's available but all the non-realtime features should be available over CAN. That includes: PWM idle and boost control (both of which use hardware timers so can use higher frequencies without losing precision), up to 8 digital output ports (similar to the spare port settings), baro sensor for baro correction, both main and second O2 sensors, table switching, launch control, nitrous control (inputs and outputs), flex fuel sensor, knock sensor input (requires an additional conditioner).

Jean

Edited by jbelanger on 4th Sep, 2010.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

On 2nd Sep, 2010 Paul S said:

On 2nd Sep, 2010 Advantage said:

We have yet to prove that the EFI will give more power, but there is every chance that it will.

We can optimise the setup so that all cylinders run very close AFRs.

How many people have actually put 2 or 3 wideband sensors on a Weber'd A Series? They may be missing out on power but do not realise it.

I am far from an expert but I am working on it.

As having the engine set up a litttle on the rich side does not lower power, how FI could better this (everything flowing the same quantity of air) ?

The way I see it, FI can have the edge on transition modes and fuel economy but powerwise, should be the same.

Ho, wait up. I forgot the carb is a self powered fuel injection so this self powering can be the extra power ...

Sorry about the dumb question, I am trying to understand

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Right, there are at least two reasons that EFi will give more power.

Firstly, twin 40mm throttle bodies will flow better than any Weber/SU because of the lack of venturis/dashpots. Hence the engine will get more air.

Secondly, the EFi can be set to ensure that all cylinders get the correct amount of fuel for maximum power. My tests with dual widebands on an SU back in December 2007 show that mixture distribution was very poor.

Just because a single wideband says that the AFR is optimised does not mean that each cylinder is getting the best chance to make power.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

And as Paul has mentioned before, this unequal fuel distribution also means you have to compromise on the ignition timing. The advance is limited by the lean cylinder tendency to detonate so you either set the advance lower than what will yield maximum power or run the chance of a getting a holed piston.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Re. the CANbus and what it can do, I've read up about the I/O extender on Jean's own site from the link Jean provided above, and read a lot more information abot it on his forum too.

It looks like a very worthwhile addition to an MS-2 that has already got most (if not all) of it's spare ports used.

So I've registered over there to try and keep all the detailed questions/answers in one place.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

What interests me is that Jean has a SD card logger planned.

Our biggest problem on the Miglia Turbo, apart from getting time to work on it, is the lack of ports and the need for datalogging.

The traction control and dual widebands cannot be accomodated on the standard MS2 board, so we have been looking for a datalogger that can take the MS2 data stream and the extra wideband signal.

The I/O Extender and Jean's logger could be a solution.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

You've obviously been reading up on it too :)

I'm still hopefull I can get the TechEdge software to do my datalogging, like I had it set up last year when we were using Megatune rather than TS or MTx but, if not, the above is probably the optimum solution.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

I would be very suprized if you see any realy over all power increce on this engine with FI over a big weber,
What I would expect to see is a big increce in mig range torque and botom end drivability.

the main reason you will see very little power increce is because most big cam a series with a weber run AFR's of mid 12's my own testing on single cylinder 500cc motor bikes with similar cams, seen no real increce or loss of power between an AFR of 11.5:1 and 13.2:11 about 8% over all. That is with a difference of 1.7 in AFR's. Looking at your tests with an SU the difference is no more than that at any point leading me to bleve that very little in the way of power will be gained from geting the AFR the same.

As far as running 40mm throttle bodies meaning you will get more air flow I would be intrested to see what difference that makes I think Port vlocity will be a biger player tho.

Good look with it sounds like a good project

On 5th Sep, 2010 Paul S said:
Right, there are at least two reasons that EFi will give more power.

Firstly, twin 40mm throttle bodies will flow better than any Weber/SU because of the lack of venturis/dashpots. Hence the engine will get more air.

Secondly, the EFi can be set to ensure that all cylinders get the correct amount of fuel for maximum power. My tests with dual widebands on an SU back in December 2007 show that mixture distribution was very poor.

Just because a single wideband says that the AFR is optimised does not mean that each cylinder is getting the best chance to make power.

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Trackday N/A 1380
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: