Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Tom's Hillclimb/Sprint car

tomkidd

478 Posts
Member #: 1962

Lancaster

How do Gents

Here is a diary of my race car. The idea from the start was to build a car that I could do track days in and race in the Longton and District Hillclimb and Sprint championship. The recession has slowed things up somewhat last year and I have sinced moved into a bigger workshop to allow me to finish the build.

The car was bought as an unfinished project with a very good shell. The identity of the car is a bit sketchy as it looks like it was reshelled in the early 70's as it has a mixture of mk1 and mk3 parts.

The shell was stripped and then sand blasted before I started the welding etc which I learnt on the classic car restoration course at Bolton College. Until this project I had been scared of welding and had never done any bodywork before. The idea with this project is a test bed for if/when I restore a mk1 shell.

As this is the first post in my build people looking at it might wonder where to start when looking for parts. What I would suggest is avoid these parts as they were a nightmare to fit and ended either damaging things I had already done or just took far too long to fit.

CAMBER BRACKETS FIXED REAR NEGATIVE CAMBER
http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=36956

ENGINE MOUNTING WITH EASY FIT CAPTIVE THREADS MNUAL GEARBOX
http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=...id=36757&title=

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkidd/sets/72157623190593120/

Back from blasting

Then I painted the entire underside in POR-15

Edited by tomkidd on 7th Jan, 2012.

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Then a few bits of welding

Theeeeeeen it went for paint

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Then it came back :)

I'm 'pretty' happy with the paint job but I think I would take it somewhere else next time and pay more money. I ended up painting the inside and the engine bay myself as he was too shy with the paint

And now I have started putting it together :)

Guruspeed Master cylinders

Been working my old man on the car today sorting the pull cord and the battery mains wire. Chris-pilling is helping (i.e. 100% of the work) by doing the headlining at the moment too. Its starting to look like a car again.

I sell the steering lowering brackets that you can see fitted

Edited by tomkidd on 9th Sep, 2010.

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Headlining and rear part of the cage were finished off lastnight, big thanks to Chris-pilling (who took home an injury thanks to the ratchet strap).

As you can see the cage touches the headlining and is very tight.

The headlining is a Newton Commerical one which I was expecting to be the bee's knee's... but it "aint all that". Still I'm happy with the overall look and when the cage is in and the car is at normal height it'll look the part.

And this is an unused Rev counter purchased off fleabay for £42 :)

A few small updates. Most of what has been going on is not really noticeable but its getting there.

Powder coated version of my steering drop brackets

New genuine rack

Chief colour blind electrical engineer takes a call

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Small update on what I've been doing... mainly being too busy to work on the car, but I've done the odd job.

Starter button where I can reach it on the cross member

An excellent slowboy works dash panel and one of my steering lowering brackets (£30 if you PM me)

and two little buttons for the washer jets and horn

The rest has been wiring etc and doesn't make for nice photos.

Few more updates, nothing massive but the front subframe is built up and in now, just got hold of some alloy 4 pots and currently fitting the fuel line. Also bought some nearly new wheels of Mike Youles and offered them up to see if the silver suits the car, I may do them black...

Edited by tomkidd on 9th Sep, 2010.

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Few more photos from the weekend

Wires routed so as little is on show as possible

Fuel line fitted

Blade fuse box mounted underneath the dash

Freshly painted hubs built up by chris-pilling

Pikey fuel pump

Whilst I've been messing around trying to split CV joints off drive shafts I've managed to get a few other tiny things done being the fuel line in the engine bay the blanking plate for the bulkhead and the filter king.

Next job is brake lines

Few updates from todays session.

Brake line through to the rear ready for when I get to that bit

Brake line fitted through front part of the cabin

Brake lines from http://www.siliconhoses.com put in place (not fastened them on yet, really happy with the quality of them. SPot the obvious mistake *wink*

Calipers fitted, just need to fit the track rod ends

Tow strap fitted through front tie bar mount on subframe and then velco stitched onto it so it looks tidier than the one on the fiesta yellow swiftune racer.

Keep on wondering how it will look so chucked a wheel on... think I will paint them satin black like some of the Japanese cars

Few more tiny updates

Brake lines at the front sorted

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Tidy!

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Ta

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Beautiful car tom cant wait to see it finished

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Very very nice tom, the shell looks more than mint it looks brand new.

I was going to comment on your mistake putting the brake lines to the clutch but it seams you sorted it on the other pic.

Do we have an engine spec

rick

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

On 9th Sep, 2010 cossierick said:
Very very nice tom, the shell looks more than mint it looks brand new.

I was going to comment on your mistake putting the brake lines to the clutch but it seams you sorted it on the other pic.

Do we have an engine spec

rick

Cheers, the 1380 engine is being raped from the other mini above, as regulations will only allow original castings etc, I'll then put something else in the blue mini, maybe 7port or turbo *oh well* not sure yet. Engine currently has 105bhp with a single SU and SW5 at Minisport but when it goes over to the grey one it'll have an SW10 and a Weber. I'm gonna try megajolt on the race car and use it as a test for the blue one when I have finished the grey one.

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Very nice indeed!

The attention to detail is fantastic!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

PaulW

180 Posts
Member #: 373
Advanced Member

Leeds

Looks stunning Tom. Are you going to race it like it deserves? *wink*

"I'll get there in the end"

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

On 9th Sep, 2010 theoneeyedlizard said:
Very nice indeed!

Yes the build quality looks stunning and did you say this is your first build, credit to yourself.

7 port or turbo would be great with the other, you dont have to mess anymore with the turbo ,ditch the T3 and no bulkhead mods needed.

Rick

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

On 9th Sep, 2010 cossierick said:

On 9th Sep, 2010 theoneeyedlizard said:
Very nice indeed!

Yes the build quality looks stunning and did you say this is your first build, credit to yourself.

7 port or turbo would be great with the other, you dont have to mess anymore with the turbo ,ditch the T3 and no bulkhead mods needed.

Rick

Cheers, I built up the blue one but didn't do the bodywork on that one. This one was 100% stripped naked where's the blue one was a rolling shell.

Mini-sprite the blue one gets a pasting when it comes out so I am not going to hold back with the grey one *wink*

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Very impressive Tom, car looks fantastic.

Interested to know more about the course you took at Bolton College? What sort of things did the course cover?

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

The course was Classic Car restoration course. 16 weeks, 2hrs per week for just £100.

Full use of the facilities including spray booth etc. We learnt to fabricate a valance from a flat sheet and wedled it, then filled and painted it. Alot of pupils enroll again to just use the facilities as they don't mind you taking your own stuff in.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Me and John did something similar at Castleford, well worth it.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

G13B

667 Posts
Member #: 1376
Post Whore

clock tower with a sniper rifle

fantastic build, very tidy*wink*

internationally known as "big" swede

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

fantastic - you should be suitably proud of your efforts

best_stig

453 Posts
Member #: 6449

Brisbane, Australia

So shiny, makes me jealous of your work.

In boost we trust

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Hi mate, I havce seen this on the mk1 forum top work. Is the KAD shifter in right. Have you got the plans? if not i have them on my PC at home i think. I can email them to you when i get back from holls if you like

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

jamz

1342 Posts
Member #: 2292
Tool

Herne Bay, kent

nice build my old brakes :) better suited to this than my car.

On 27th Apr, 2010 Rick.SPI said:

cant beat a good blowout.

pinkyandnobrain

720 Posts
Member #: 2588
Post Whore

Pretoria South Africa

Beautiful.

"So wat we gonna do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do evernight Pinky!"
"Try to take over the world!"

tomkidd

478 Posts

Lancaster

Cheers guys. Madmk1 if you could send me plans to check its correct that would be great.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Tom's Hillclimb/Sprint car
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: