Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > 998 Ti - Stage 2 - Now the Build - Jan 2012

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go.

I have yet to assemble my hall sensors as I went for a some of the allegro ic's, although they work fine on the bench.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On to the gearbox. Stripped it down first:

Used a bit of magic:

Mainshaft assembled:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Whats the magic?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Dish washer

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 30th Mar, 2012 John said:
Whats the magic?

£90 worth of soda blasting. Not sure about the wisdom of that :(

EDIT: My dishwasher is my youngest son.

Edited by Paul S on 30th Mar, 2012.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jlay

319 Posts
Member #: 1742

essex

ouch £90 but soda is very gentle i have also seen dry ice blasting too that gave about the same result. it all beats carfull masking and bead/grit blasting which is what i do. good built Paul

My small bore turbo project http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=473901

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The soda-blasting was not cheap, but saved me a lot of time. Gearbox stripped and built in a couple of Saturdays:

Vehicle Speed Sensor fitted in diff housing for gear based boost and traction control.

Edited by Paul S on 31st Mar, 2012.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Almost a shame to put the engine on top when they look that clean and tidy.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

The vss sensor looks good - have you tried the output from this yet?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We have the same sensor on a 12 tooth wheel on an ouput shaft on the Miglia. That's hooked up to the MS3X VSS input and works fine.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Spaced and re-ordered the rockers to suit the small bore valve spacing:

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Mmmm shiny.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

What make are those rockers Paul ?

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

They are MED 1.3s

http://www.med-engineering.co.uk/catalogue...-1-3-rocker-set

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Sweet ! Cheers. :)

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

Paul, the bolt is the wrong way up, for the oil pick up pipe, if the nut came adrift the bolt would do more damage than a nut! ..... lol

Please use a nylock nut and a touch of shake proof locktight to secure it as a added bonus! And the right way around buddy.

Not trying to tell your granny to suck eggs etc..... .lol

scooperman

85 Posts
Member #: 2234
Advanced Member

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

On 11th Apr, 2012 BENROSS said:

Please use a nylock nut and a touch of shake proof locktight to secure it as a added bonus!

I used to safety wire them top and bottom, which was near impossible with a full windage tray. Now I just drill the pickup mount boss for an insert nut, the nut below. Bolt pulls the insert nut up into the boss where it wedges in, nut can't fall down even if the bolt came out. So only have to safety wire the bolt head, much easier.

edit...for all the rest of us OCD types, found them here...http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-nuts/=h2uj7w

Good, fast, cheap. You get to pick any two.

Edited by scooperman on 12th Apr, 2012.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Fooking OCD. Leave the bolt out if you are that worried :)

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I was considering drilling & tapping mine if the tab will open up to the right size.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I helicoiled mine... *tongue*

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Ive just cut the mount off. *happy*

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

History lesson:

When I first fitted a COPP in the 80s, they did not have brackets. However a few failed due to cracks at the weld caused by vibration. They then started fitting the bracket.

The bracket is there simply to stop the pipe vibrating. It's not under any load.

If you're not intending to do many miles, then the best thing would be to cut the bracket off altogether. Next best thing is to fit a new 5/16 bolt and nylock nut as I have done above. If you would rather have a nut rolling around your box then a bolt in the very unlikely event of it coming loose, then fit the nut at the underside.

If you fit a captive nut or tap/helicoil the hole, you need to introduce some other method of locking the bolt.

Edited by Paul S on 12th Apr, 2012.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

mine is either M8 or M10 and loctited
edit, it look like an M10 *happy*

Edited by Brett on 12th Apr, 2012.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

drill the end of the bolt and fit a split pin if your worried -

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Engine and box bolted together, but covers all temporary pending arrival of a load of 12 point titanium bolts :(

Head just slipped on for now whilst I source a decent head gasket.

Now where did I get to with these manifolds?

Edited by Paul S on 20th Apr, 2012.

Home > 998cc > 998 Ti - Stage 2 - Now the Build - Jan 2012
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: