Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > 998 Ti - Stage 2 - Now the Build - Jan 2012

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Decided to go side mounted turbo. It will also mean a new intake manifold as well, but I think it will be worthwhile.

Instead of a CAD design, this time I dived in with the tig and angle grinder and done a mock up. I'll post up some pictures when it is done.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Looking forward to it mate

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Ordered the custom grind cam from Kent Cams on the 12th and it is here already *happy*

Great Service.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Finalised the manifold design on this engine now. Time to get fabricating.

Interesting output from the simulation:

The red line is the current 998Ti torque curve as simulated and very close to the NMS rolling road data.

The yellow line is the 998Ti engine with a Gt17 on a remote manifold.

The purple line is the 998Ti engine with a 33/29 valved 12G295.

The blue line is the Stage 2 engine, so basically the 998Ti with the Gt17, the 33/29 head and a few minor tweeks.

What I find intersting is that on their own, the Gt17 on the remote manifold and the 33/29 head only make marginal improvements. Put together and then the gains are significant.

Therefore, I have concluded that two plus two can equal five in certain circumstances *happy*

All purely theoretical of course.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Be interesting to see the real world results. We gained around 20 bananans just fitting the GT17 over the T2, same boost, same manifold.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well the simulation has indicated an extra 18 nanas just by fitting the Gt17 on the 998Ti.

I'm sure the next visit to NMS will be very interesting :)

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

What does "a few minor tweeks" cover ?

It does give some improvement

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Feb, 2011 TurboTom said:
What does "a few minor tweeks" cover ?

It does give some improvement

The scatter pattern cam, just to make a bigger window for the injection rather than power: a bit more intercooler efficiency and 60mm extra inlet runner length. More fine tuning than chunks of hp, but it all helps.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Would the same basic geometry work for a 1275? I can see you'd want to increase size everywhere to allow more flow but would you need to do a lot more?

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

Would it be a huge thing to compare output of a cylinder head with 45` seat angle and 30` seat angle ?

P.S. Is your secret cam a scatterpattern cam?

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Feb, 2011 jbelanger said:
Would the same basic geometry work for a 1275? I can see you'd want to increase size everywhere to allow more flow but would you need to do a lot more?

Jean

Oh yes. I've done the simulation on the Miglia 1293 Turbo and I'm about to splice another 150mm into the inlet runners *happy* The exhaust manifold works a treat as it is, although it is not significantly different from the new 998 manifold.

If both engines work as predicted, then we can play with special cam profiles, optimise valve and port sizes, test different compressors and turbines etc. It's still all theory at the moment.

One thing is certain in my mind and that is that there is a lot more to be gained from the old 5 Port with improved manifold designs.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Would it be a huge thing to compare output of a cylinder head with 45` seat angle and 30` seat angle ?

Yes, but only if you first generate the flow data. The ports are simulated from flow data and valve throat diameter.

P.S. Is your secret cam a scatterpattern cam?

Shhhh.... that's a secret :$

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 15th Feb, 2011 Paul S said:
One thing is certain in my mind and that is that there is a lot more to be gained from the old 5 Port with improved manifold designs.

and correct fueling... *happy*

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Feb, 2011 jbelanger said:
On 15th Feb, 2011 Paul S said:

and correct fueling... *happy*

As we say: that's a given.......

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Whats the boost levels on the simulations?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

They are all at 0.8 bar boost.

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Ive just learnt so much lol

Paul as ever very interesting stuff! I try to keep up with the topic lol but some of it goes over my head.

On 21st Sep, 2010 Joe C said:
dragging this of topic slightly... this is worth a watch, mostly stuff from the yellow book, but theres some other interesting stuff too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXl6dJBWaM

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

With the Miglia on hold until the next setup session, I'm back sorting parts for this.

Last week I ran the simulation at higher boost and it came up with some very interesting numbers.

So straight cut gears and RTS are now on the list of parts. Plus some bigger injectors :)

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

teeeeeeaaaaasssinnng !

we like pics too.

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Latest spec:

998 block bored +0.020" (1015cc)
Hypatech pistons with buttons
Lightened and shot peaned rods
Wedged, hardened and balanced crank
VP2 bearings
Alloy/alloy duplex
Custom ground scatter cam
1.3:1 Roller rockers
Modified 1275 steel backed oil pump
Ported 12G295 head with 33/29 valves, bronze guides
GT1752
Stainless remote turbo manifold
Stainless inlet manifold/plenum
SC box/drops & 4 pin diff
Lightweight verto flywheel with RTS Verto clutch
Coil nr Plug ignition
MS3/3X - timed/staged injection - gear based boost control - traction control.

Just need to order drops and diff, otherwise parts coming together.

Manifolds need fabricating then make a decision which car to put it in.

Edited by Paul S on 28th Sep, 2011.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We are starting the build on this at the weekend, so whilst i was getting all the parts together, I thought I would photograph them for your delectation:

Hypatechs:

Swiftune Ally Duplex:

Nicely fitted with stainless cap heads, so I just need to change one for the cam sensor target.

1.3 Roller Rockers:

Needs spacing to suit the 998 head.

12G295 Head, modified by TurbiPhil, bronze guides, 214 valves, 33/29:

MED ground, lightened, nitrided and balanced crank:

MED lightened, shot peened and balanced rods, ARP bolts:

Sex:

Noisy bits:

Secret Scatter Cam :) Let's just call it a Ph2 scatter for now:)

Hopefully drag the block of the shelf and get started tomorrow, starting with fettling, tapping and a good clean and paint, pictures to follow.

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

Looks good so have you settled on the gt17 in the end?

Out of interest do you think you need the washers with the arp rod bolts or not?

Will be very interesting to see what sort of power this makes :)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It will be built with the Gt1752, but I'm still open-minded about using a GT1749V in the future.

Never use washers on rod bolts.

This is as far as I've got with the exhaust manifold, the final welding will be done once the engine is together and I can properly assess the location of the turbo.

EDIT: and the inlet manifold jigsaw:

Can you tell what shape it is going to be ?

Edited by Paul S on 6th Jan, 2012.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

I hope there is an extra set of 90° bends or you will need a raised seat to be able to see the road ??!!

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

I'm guessing that it almost doubles back on itself so the plenum is behind the fuel injector rail? So you are increasing the runner length vs stage1 to achieve the torque in the simulations ?

The injector bosses are quite close together - so does this rule out using the mpi ones?

Home > 998cc > 998 Ti - Stage 2 - Now the Build - Jan 2012
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: