Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Gianni Potenza 7x10 Wheels

jamz

1342 Posts
Member #: 2292
Tool

Herne Bay, kent

looks awesome im going to be tubbing my arches ain a few weeks. did you weld it all from the inside of the arch? also have you got any info about your anti roll bar

On 27th Apr, 2010 Rick.SPI said:

cant beat a good blowout.

G13B

667 Posts
Member #: 1376
Post Whore

clock tower with a sniper rifle

On 11th Feb, 2011 jamz said:
looks awesome im going to be tubbing my arches ain a few weeks. did you weld it all from the inside of the arch? also have you got any info about your anti roll bar

Yep welded everything from inside the arch, in text from my build diary:

"well iīm no tubbing expert but i had no problems with warping, so i must done something right!

first make the tool "U" with a pen that marks the ark, i actually marked the proper radius about 10 cm deep in the arch and then cut 10mm or so under it, do the other cut inside the arch just in the "down kink", remove the section you have cut

use a plier or something and bend the 10mm out very slightly, maybe 20-30 degs or so

use a hammer and "tap" the arch from the underside, work it over a couple of times until the arch is 90 deg

Now get the new steel sheet in, maybe some tiny spotwelds to the arch, then you mark the inner edge, remove and cut the fender again against the line, you will now have almost perfect fit/no gap when offering up the new metal

spotweld the inner fender to the new sheet first, and then some spotwelds from the top on the outside (to your new lip).

cut off the protruding shet metal with the angle grinder a couple of mm outside the new lip you have formed, then seam weld a couple of cm:s here and there until itīs done

i put a couple of spot welds from the inside also, to the other skin, (you can see them from the outside in the pics)

now clean up the innerfender with an wirebrush and seamweld as per outside, try to tilt the welder pistol to avoid melting metal in the muzzle (tryed to weld from the top it was really bad acces from the boot and very hard too see what you do) Wear long arm shirt and leather gloves!

Done!"

rollbar is on here somewhere, 22 dia tube from memory, m6 droplinks, search for "boot mounted arb"

internationally known as "big" swede

Billus89

359 Posts
Member #: 8931

Herefordshire

Hey G13B.

Any news on how the wheels went? Have they held up to abuse on the roads?

G13B

667 Posts
Member #: 1376
Post Whore

clock tower with a sniper rifle

they havenīt been outside the garage, have had too many other things going on!

have a couple of more coats of epoxi to the garage floor then itīs mini playtime*wink*

internationally known as "big" swede

Driezzie

8 Posts
Member #: 9714

bump this one...

Are the wheels the same as Gianni now ? Strong enough to hold the power of a mini ?

Funkyp

106 Posts
Member #: 9354
Advanced Member

I wonder what tires could go on that size.. normal 165x70x10?

Apparently, I'm Wrong :[

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

yes, thats the widest road leagal tyre fo the uk, in the states there is a hoosier tyre which is sposidly 160/70r10 but its about the same size as a miglia slick which is road legal

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

MINIMON

233 Posts
Member #: 863

Lathom, lancs

So it seems they are fit for road use strength wise? i know alot of the road wheels on quads are no good offroas as they buckle.... now the extra weight of a car and the pothole issue?

Driezzie

8 Posts

Also found this : http://www.weiku.com/products/2164946/Golf_wheel.html

MINIMON

233 Posts
Member #: 863

Lathom, lancs

On 19th Dec, 2011 Driezzie said:
Also found this : http://www.weiku.com/products/2164946/Golf_wheel.html

Minimum Order Quantity: 200 Piece/Pieces
*surprised*

Driezzie

8 Posts

G13B I also saw you have a Honda Monkey (motorcycle) in your garage. If you look for more about the manufacturer Wuyi Jiaxin Wheel Co., Ltd.you'll find they also produce wheels for those bikes. Very interesting Gianni Potenza also offers stuff for Honda Monkeys...

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I wouldnt personally trust a wheel that's designed for something that pootles about at 10mph on a road going car. If it's not rated for road use it shouldnt be used. I also don't believe in using the cheapest tyres possible going off on a slight tangent.
Your wheels and tyres are the only things connecting you to the road, treat them with upmost care.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Driezzie

8 Posts

official website : http://www.ldll-china.com/

Amp

432 Posts
Member #: 7856

Essex

Has there been any updates on the whole "golf cart wheels" debate now that a few people have used them, i.e. does anyone know of any bad experiences from using them?

still in the shed

18 Posts
Member #: 11028

I have seen some deluded bumbaclaats doing some dangerous shit in my time and these twats bolting this shit to their cars gets the banana.

Golf cart wheels on a sodding road car? Are they on drugs? People will see you anything, provided they can profit out of it. I'm against nanny state telling people what to do, but I do not want to be getting hit by a sideways mini as a result of it's broken toy wheels. It's the same as tubing your old mag minilites because they are as porous as pumice. STOP IT.

It appears that people are in utter ignorance of the sorts of forces cars develop. I wouldn't even put them on a trailer.

still in the shed

18 Posts
Member #: 11028

I will add that I think Potenza is a fucking pikey

Amp

432 Posts
Member #: 7856

Essex

On 12th Nov, 2015 still in the shed said:
I'm against nanny state telling people what to do, but I do not want to be getting hit by a sideways mini as a result of it's broken toy wheels. It's the same as tubing your old mag minilites because they are as porous as pumice. STOP IT.

What is the issue with using inner tubes on old minilites? I've not heard this before is all.

Also, would you class split rims as toy wheels? They aren't necessarily safety checked etc so surely could be as dangerous?

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

He neglects to realise this is a forum full of engineers not idiots. We actually consider the facts before making a judgement.

Look at the facts. What is their design, what are they made from. Then make an judgment. I bet they are just fine.

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Oh and peoples argument against tubes are basically that they are more at risk of a blow out. If they go pop all the air will escape out the valve hole.. Atleast thatsbknown argument I've heard! Again it's a load of tosh dreamt up by people who have seen one tube go pop and have magically decided that it must've because tubes are dangerous. Use them properly and safely and they are just fine.

mini93

834 Posts
Member #: 2017
Post Whore

Warwick.

Story I heard about tubes in tyres not designed for it, is the inner face of the tyre is quite abrasive. This can cause excess friction between the tyre and the tube causing failure. A motorsport company I have dealt with before simply used talk between the two in their historic car (spoked wheels whihc dont seal with modern tyres required tubes)

David.

smokestack-lightning.

144 Posts
Member #: 10557
Advanced Member

talk or Chalk?....

Double-Blind experiment, N:
An experiment in which the Chief Researcher believes he is
Fooling both the subject and the lab assistant. Often accompanied by
a belief in the Tooth Fairy.

Billus89

359 Posts
Member #: 8931

Herefordshire

I think the point being raised above is about porosity associated with older magnesium wheels and using tubes to keep them holding air. This is potentially dangerous but I think common sense would prevail with most people (as said, there is a lot of engineers on this forum) and this would not happen. I think the tube argument has positives and negative on either side. I used to fit tubes to certain cars (a lot of classics and agricultural vehicles) which was fine and I think that if you get a puncture it will go flat no faster with a tube at the same rate as if you got a sidewall split or blowout. There is two sides, I would tend to always run tubeless but I think done professionally tubes are fine.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

IIRC mag wheels can go brittle with age.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 12th Nov, 2015 still in the shed said:
I have seen some deluded bumbaclaats doing some dangerous shit in my time and these twats bolting this shit to their cars gets the banana.

Golf cart wheels on a sodding road car? Are they on drugs? People will see you anything, provided they can profit out of it. I'm against nanny state telling people what to do, but I do not want to be getting hit by a sideways mini as a result of it's broken toy wheels. It's the same as tubing your old mag minilites because they are as porous as pumice. STOP IT.

It appears that people are in utter ignorance of the sorts of forces cars develop. I wouldn't even put them on a trailer.

Wow....

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

mini93

834 Posts
Member #: 2017
Post Whore

Warwick.

Yep, most definatly the last one!

On 13th Nov, 2015 smokestack-lightning. said:
talk or Chalk?....

David.

Home > General Chat > Gianni Potenza 7x10 Wheels
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!