Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Going lean on boost

Turbo Tel

1060 Posts
Member #: 588
Post Whore

Delaware, USA

I had it today and was able to identify the problem pretty quickly, hope these thoughts help others. So, given a car that was OK before and suddenly develops a leanout on boost....The main question is how quickly it leans out.

If the leanout comes on slowly then the problem is more likely that the fuel delivery is not all it should be, look at the fuel pickup, fuel lines and especially the regulator and the boost pressure feed that regulates it..

If the leanout is instant then look for a leak in the various pipes and blanks around the carb. If you just re-installed the plenum then check the little hole that feeds boost pressure in the gasket.

The thinking behind this is that the float chamber needs boost pressure (from the plenum via the hole) to keep the fuel flowing out of the jet. It also relies on the float chamber being sealed. If boost pressure is not getting there or escaping then as soon as you hit boost it will lean. Should the fuel delivery be bad then the carb will run fine initially but as the level of fuel in the float chamber drops it will lean out more slowly.

In my case the car ran fine off boost but leaned out as soon as you hit boost, it was like a kill switch. One of the rubber blanks I had on the carb was leaking.

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Going lean on boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: