Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > X16XE build update 22/11/2011

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

A controversial build, no a-series and not even a turbo.. but i hope you enjoy my new project - a X16XE engine conversion.

Most of you will know my car so i wont bother with the background but basically after selling my turbo lump and most the parts on my a-series i took the plunge and went for a alien engine swap.

Hopefully this thread will inspire me to finish the project sooner rather than later as i want it running by spring 2011. The idea is to sort you out with regular updates to let you know how im getting on, detail problems i encounter and to seek help from all the knowledgeable people on here when i get stuck!

so to the build!

Removed the old engine a 1380 turbo lump, it was putting out about 170bhp and 180 ft lb

To be replaced with one of these.. will make a good one out of the 2, ones from a Corsa GSI and the other from a low mileage Astra.

Also have 3 gearboxes - will probably use a TD box as the ratios suit my application.

Now the first issue i had was with the bulkhead, the turbo box - had to make some new panels to box it all in, took a while but im happy with the result

will be painting this very soon.

Next i thought i would test fit some parts and make what i think will be one of the trickiest parts of the build, the alternator bracket (shifting it from the back of the block to the front)

Small Denso alternator and my bracket welded to one of the allspeed engine mounts.

I have also cut and re-welded a part from the Vaux mount to the rear Allspeed bracket, and thats where im at.

Will update soon when i get the subframe built and the bulkhead painted.

Let me know what you think :)

cheers, Mark

Edited by MarkGTT on 22nd Nov, 2011.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Looking good mate, but why the 1600?

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

always fancied doing something like this with the estate - will be watching with interest

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

On 30th Dec, 2010 t2clubby said:
Looking good mate, but why the 1600?

Thanks mate.

I basically chose the 1600 for the size and weight gains, for me the 2L is too big in a mini - also i can easily get the power i want from the 1600.. watch this space :)

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Looking good mate.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Good choice on the 1600, will be following this closely :)

rosco454

611 Posts
Member #: 5222
Post Whore

Northumberland

Looking forward too watching this one coming along,engine is a good little motor and has the potential to make very good power for what it is.

On 20th Jan, 2011 apbellamy said:

I have a bit of a fetish for tools

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

are you looking for the same sort of power as the turbo build? going for a n/a screamer?

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Diogo Lima

46 Posts
Member #: 8869

Porto, Portugal

On 30th Dec, 2010 MarkGTT said:

Dear Mark,

I was not very encouraged to make this reply cause i don't want to be rude, but stop troling...

Your mini was a good built between many minis here, it was very good one to be honest.
I'm not fan of turbos, but atleast the cars here are A-Series, this is the point...
You had a mini and now you don't...

At least you should go for a 16V, 8-port, 7-port everything but A-Siries.
Power is not everything is much proven that you could achieve a very interesting output, don't compromising the binary from a 1460cc let me tell you ther is not much diference.
I already drive 1460cc, 1480cc and 1600 A-Series top minis with engines prowling 15.000£ and i also drive hybride minis with opel calibra units and some 1600 v-tecs too, i always want a big engine...
Conlusion i will build a 1460 7-port, less power then a 16v or even a high modified turbo, but still a very powerful engine very rotative and reliable, keeping the block ofcourse because the funny thing of having a mini is exploring his essense and not transforme them into a ordinary car.

You must know: http://www.16vminiclub.com/
So sad *tongue*

Very sorry for this, but i really like your car as it was...
Good entrances, Happy New Year *happy*

Edited by Diogo Lima on 30th Dec, 2010.

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

So your definitely going to the dark side. Sounds interesting though so keep us up updated, are you building a custom subby or an off the shelf job?

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

On 30th Dec, 2010 Paul R said:
are you looking for the same sort of power as the turbo build? going for a n/a screamer?

160 ish horses (without cheating gas*) will be n/a.. for now..

* still not sure if i will add this yet..

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

On 30th Dec, 2010 george91 said:
So your definitely going to the dark side. Sounds interesting though so keep us up updated, are you building a custom subby or an off the shelf job?

haha - Im afraid so

Off the shelf, Allspeed frame, one came up in a kit at a god price.

-------------------------------------------------------------

and Diogo Lima, thanks for your comments - it was a very hard decision.. and agree it will loose some elements of mini-ness, but i hope it will still be a load of fun!

Edited by MarkGTT on 30th Dec, 2010.

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 30th Dec, 2010 Diogo Lima said:

Dear Mark,

I was not very encouraged to make this reply cause i don't want to be rude, but stop troling...

Your mini was a good built between many minis here, it was very good one to be honest.
I'm not fan of turbos, but atleast the cars here are A-Series, this is the point...
You had a mini and now you don't...

At least you should go for a 16V, 8-port, 7-port everything but A-Siries.
Power is not everything is much proven that you could achieve a very interesting output, don't compromising the binary from a 1460cc let me tell you ther is not much diference.
I already drive 1460cc, 1480cc and 1600 A-Series top minis with engines prowling 15.000£ and i also drive hybride minis with opel calibra units and some 1600 v-tecs too, i always want a big engine...
Conlusion i will build a 1460 7-port, less power then a 16v or even a high modified turbo, but still a very powerful engine very rotative and reliable, keeping the block ofcourse because the funny thing of having a mini is exploring his essense and not transforme them into a ordinary car.

You must know: http://www.16vminiclub.com/
So sad *tongue*

Very sorry for this, but i really like your car as it was...
Good entrances, Happy New Year *happy*

I think this is pretty harsh to be honest, especially from someone with 24 posts on the forum. Not having an a series doesn't mean its not a mini at all.

Good luck with the build mark, to be honest I've had way more fun in my mini since I ditched the a series, despite me not having as much power. I know it'll start every day, regardless of the weather, the engine cost me £250 and a replacement would cost me the same again, and I get mega mpg when driven normally.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

Diogo Lima

46 Posts
Member #: 8869

Porto, Portugal

On 30th Dec, 2010 george91 said:

haha - Im afraid so

Off the shelf, Allspeed frame, one came up in a kit at a god price.

-------------------------------------------------------------

and Diogo Lima, thanks for your comments - it was a very hard decision.. and agree it will loose some elements of mini-ness, but i hope it will still be a load of fun!

So go on it, just keep us update...
It was just to mess with you, 8-) but I'm right.

Happy new year

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

On 30th Dec, 2010 Diogo Lima said:

I'm not fan of turbos,

*surprised**surprised* Haha you are on the worng forum mate.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Richspec

552 Posts
Member #: 300
Post Whore

Cumbria

should be a nice drive :)
what you doing induction and ignition wise?

Here for the craic..

Supercharged Arden powered

gregh55

395 Posts
Member #: 3636

herefordshire

still going to be running on 12s?

sure itll be a beast in the end :)

dischub

558 Posts
Member #: 8143
Post Whore

London

He hasn't even shown you the best part yet! I bet they're wrapped up warm under the bed and Mark says goodnight to them everynight hehe!

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

I like the look of the vaux engines they look mean, i would love to see a n/a builtnhonda or vaux engine with a fully functional super 1600 style ram air intake system on a mini would look pro. I think i have had one to many tins

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

I smell something like this........

Close Mark?

lockfast

559 Posts
Member #: 2775
Post Whore

Aberdeen

Good luck with the build, I am going down the same route with a small block 1.8 vauxhall engine. You are ahead of me so I will be able to see what hiccups you have and hopefuly learn from you. I also snapped up an allspeed frame that was to good to turn down. I have ditched my supercharged a series and have been loured to the dark side. However I have kept my supercharge just incase I have any room left!

Good Luck

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Post Whore

Shropshire.

Greg - Yep still on 12"

Rich / Kean - i can safely say that the induction and ignition has not been left to Vauxhall..

I have a set of taper throttle bodies and an MBE Ecu from SBD motorsport, i will also be changing the rod bolts and increase the rev limit to 7750.

Edited by MarkGTT on 31st Dec, 2010.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

That inlet is rather sexual *smiley*

I like the a series in a mini, but I appreciate all the drawbacks that a fast one brings with it and why people run other engines.

I'm certain this will be a top build. See you at Avon for a race? lol

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

As long as it all stays inside a standard length front end, happy days.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

looking super mate look forward to seeing it soon.

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

Home > Show Us Yours! > X16XE build update 22/11/2011
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: