Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Gasser Midget

steve1275

852 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Forgot to add that I fitted the new Matty high flow exhaust manifold with an n/a metro inlet manifold.All ok but I had to fettle the flange on the top cover around the inlet,and to tighten the central manifold nuts I needed a very slim 3/8 drive socket,universal joint and extension - working blind!

'Where does the engine go?'

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

tidy

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

ooh that folower was well fucked!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

VERY EXCITING INDEED !!! 12s this year ?

oh id say the follower went first .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Suspect you're right Robert,I keep wondering what was happening on full throttle with a half opening exhaust valve,the boost controller causing the other 3 cylinders to compensate plus 30bhp of nitrous not caring what was happening downstream!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

probably had a white hot exhaust for about 6 ft .......under the car look melted at all ??*wink*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Doubt it, didn,t the gearbox cry enough first ?

Shame on you, subjecting a Midget gearbox to such abuse !

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Sadly true David,not forgetting the half shaft resembling a corkscrew............

Dark Angel

104 Posts
Member #: 8965
Advanced Member

MIldenhall, Suffolk

Steve, How did you plumb your fuel system into the midget tank? Using original line up and add a second for the return? Hopefully next month I may be starting this. If I have the motor done.

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Hi Jesse,I use a Facet pump to lift fuel from the tank to a boot mounted swirl pot.This feeds the metro pump,with return from the reg to the pot and an overflow from the pot back to the tank filler pipe.

Attachments:

Dark Angel

104 Posts
Advanced Member

MIldenhall, Suffolk

Nice setup. Where did you get the pot from? Do the pumps run the whole time the ignition is on or just once started?

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

The pumps are running all the time,but off a separate switch to the ignition.Can't remember where the pot came from,probably Ratsport or ebay.The reason for doing all this is to help the metro pump,which doesn't like sucking fuel and the midget tank is very low mounted.

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Well,it's mot'd (no advisories!) taxed and on the road at last.The midget clutch is hydraulic,and a nightmare at the best of times.In this case I'm trying to mate it to a ford type 9 box,which is a known swap,and a large clutch to take the torque.After 3 days of frustration and much swearing I butchered an adjustable triumph pedal box and the midget clutch cylinder to get more piston movement and made a working clutch.The gearbox leaked copiously through a core plug,so I cut the trans tunnel (again) to get access without taking the engine out.Now running in,good oil press - 55psi on controlled relief valve,but 35 psi on hot idle.GT17 turbo throws off alot of heat judging by coolant out pipe,but haven't put the boost on yet.The noise is great even with just the cherry bomb,no complaints from the neighbours,but I haven't opened it up yet.................

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Good to hear it's all ready to go.

On 26th Apr, 2011 steve1275 said:
Well,it's mot'd (no advisories!)

Mine also passed it's MoT today :)

On 26th Apr, 2011 steve1275 said:
The midget clutch is hydraulic,and a nightmare at the best of times.

I have a nice selection of clutch push rods all slightly different length, also I've mastered the art of removing the slave cylinder without jacking up the car, having done it that many times.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I,ve never had a problem with the Midget clutch actuation once that I had modified the support pillar for the clutch relay lever inside the bell housing when I fitted the type 9 like yours.

Dark Angel

104 Posts
Advanced Member

MIldenhall, Suffolk

Looking good!

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Hi Rob,I slotted the upper clutch slave mounting lug and got down to around 15 minutes to bleed it.
David I wish I had done the release mod,but increasing the master cylinder movement seems to have achieved the same thing,including compensating for lost motion in the system.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looks good. What's that white car in the first pic?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Hi Andy,it's a Peerless gt,late 50's TR3 clockwork,fibreglass 2+2 bodywork.c.300 built,about 20 on the road today.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

What a fantastic car :) - Cant believe I havent checked in here before!

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

Nice work, really looks smart that. Do you have minilites for the front too?

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

I'd really like a pair of slotmags upfront,but meanwhile I have some early rostyles on the way.

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Just back from the RR.Managed to pull 170 bhp at 5700 with 17psi.However,peak torque was 160 lbf.ft. at 5000.So many changes since the last session but I suspect the 1.5 ratio rockers didn't help.
Two other issues - managed to set fire to the ex. manifold wrap when the manifold started glowing at full load 4000 rpm.Also a curious misfire at 4200,just for a moment,passing through,and the tacho dipped significantly,as if the megajolt/Edis had cut the signal.Anyone seen anything like this?Happened pretty consistently.
On a different note,managed to get a pair of Wolfies off ebay.

Attachments:

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

That sounds good to me !!

I,m on a RR on 7 June and will report back only if it produces enough to brag about !

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 24th May, 2011 steve1275 said:
Just back from the RR.Managed to pull 170 bhp at 5700 with 17psi.However,peak torque was 160 lbf.ft. at 5000.So many changes since the last session but I suspect the 1.5 ratio rockers didn't help.
Two other issues - managed to set fire to the ex. manifold wrap when the manifold started glowing at full load 4000 rpm.Also a curious misfire at 4200,just for a moment,passing through,and the tacho dipped significantly,as if the megajolt/Edis had cut the signal.Anyone seen anything like this?Happened pretty consistently.
On a different note,managed to get a pair of Wolfies off ebay.

steve , could your pickup bracket be vibrating away from the toothed heel at those rpm ?

Home > Show Us Yours! > Gasser Midget
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: