Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > CNP Testing

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

We are going to test a couple of sequential ECUs on the 998Ti, but first we need to fit the CNPs.

They only just fit under the bonnet. Also had to relocate the dump valve.

I'm not particularly happy with the HT leads fouling the intercooler and pipework, but this is just a temporary installation, the final installs will be clear.

The plan is to get the ECUs basically setup and proven so that we do not have too much faffing about trying to start the fresh engines.

Just need to fit and connect up a loom to the ECU and we can have a play.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

wintersurferuk

825 Posts
Member #: 2208
Post Whore

Essex

so impressed with all the stuff you come up with paul.

At this rate you'll have a book out on forced injection :)

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

Is there a reason for doing this? Does it give a control advantage, or are you doing it because you can?

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The reasons are many:

I don't believe that a coil pack from a 1.3 Fiesta is good enough to make the most out of a highly boosted engine. Time we tested something else.

One of the ECUs I'm testing does not have high current ignition drivers, so I don't have the option of using the wasted spark coils without an extra box of tricks.

This also has the advantage that you keep all the high currents away from the processor.

These coils are considered to be the best OEM coils available.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Temporary loom ready to be fitted in car alongside the standard MS loom.

The green wire is for the cam sensor and the blue wire for the second O2. Both need to be transfered to the MS3X. It should be fairly straightforward to swap between ECUs.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 25th Mar, 2011 Paul S said:

I don't believe that a coil pack from a 1.3 Fiesta is good enough to make the most out of a highly boosted engine. Time we tested something else.

TBH, there are many modern coils and coil packs which can handle plenty of boost.

I think it's a Yaris or Daihatsu pencil style COP many use for highly boosted bike engines and others. Ive even seen them on the likes of Jack Frosts 260+mph Hyabusa, and drag bikes running 7 secs etc and 40+psi boost.

Sure even the LS2 coils you have are used on a rather primitive old V8 with much less than 100bhp/litre.
A lot of n/a small capacity 4 cyl engines are pushing more.

But yes the LS2 coils are very good, and will easily handle any boost you want to run. As are most of the LS platform coils.

There are of course some crap coil packs out there, but many are very good.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

excellent work chaps !

where did you source your black silicone pipe from

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Oh...and those bulky hose clamps tend to leak a lot.

I would never use them on a turbo setup. The banding where the gap is on the clamp is far too thick and never seals correctly as there is a big step.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The hoses are standard ebay stuff:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Performance-...sid=p4340.l2563

I know what you mean about the hoses not sealing Stevie, you need to use the exact size joiner and clamps, but as far as I am aware from several rolling road sesssions, mine are well sealed.

In fact it was very difficult to get them apart to move the dump valve.

I've just realised that from the photo above, that one of the clamps is still loose :$

Edited by Paul S on 26th Mar, 2011.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Thin banded t-bolt clamps are needed. Or Breeze make some decent hose clamps.

But for the most part, a decent stainless worm drive with a wide band is all most cars need.

Ive tested a lot of setups with those style Mikalor, they all leaked.
Some you could even slip a feeler blade in under the silicone they were that bad

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Runs like a dream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r0YPU7_UE8

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Great work Paul, engine bays starting to look like a modern production car *happy*

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'll take that as a compliment.

Yes, if the rocker cover was black, then you would need a double take to be sure that it was an A Series.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

just put a big black plastic cover over everything, it'll look just like every other modern engine then!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

And tidy up the wiring!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's a right snake pit now with two sets of wires for coils and injectors.

Still, the car is only a test bed these days.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

bloody hell paul i am impressed with your dedication to the 5 port injection cause but at some point the development costs must outway the benefits, this car must have cost a small fortune now.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I think a small fortune would be optimistic Wolfie. I bet they have spent more! lol

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's just small change :)

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Yep especially on Bill Oddies Salary *tongue*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Come on guys, this is my budget 998 Turbo with a budget injection system.

I've not spent any money on it since 2009. This is a trial of parts "borrowed" from other projects. Total expenditure on this car... a few hours work.

It's not 5 Port specific either.

Now if I had spent £2-3k on a well marketed fashion accessory like a 7 Port, then you would have cause :)

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Just a bit of rib tickling Paul. Have muchos respect and interest in what you are doing.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Nonetheless, the perception seems to be that building a 5-port EFI engine requires a huge investment. Compared to a 7-port or twin cam, it's not much. The EFi part is the same (or cheaper when compared to using a big name ECU) and the head is "free" which is not the case for the 7-port or twin cam. There is a need to have one more WBO2 sensor which does add to the EFi cost.

The main thing is making the intake and exhaust manifolds (and even then the exhaust is the same for other engines). While this is not trivial for many, Paul has shown that it is possible to have something that will yield very good efficiency. While in theory, other setups could be better, it seems no one will go to the trouble of doing it or packaging constraints will prevent them from doing it.

So in my view (and obviously Paul's), the benefits outweigh the costs since it may yield better efficiency and power at a lower cost. That still remains to be seen but it's looking good at this point and Paul's efforts (and others) will benefit others who will have an easier time making their own version.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You're right there Jean,

The ECU kit and loom cost £375 plus VAT/Duty and the coils cost about £100.

Probably less than most spend on the ECU alone.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

595 pounds ?

oops ,plus 1 extra wideband 140 ?

so 735 pounds. ish .

Edited by robert on 28th Mar, 2011.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Paul S trials and testing > CNP Testing
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: