Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Megasquirt MS3 & MS3X

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 1st Dec, 2012 jbelanger said:

Having said that, there are dozens of ways things could be improved to get a better DIY version for the MS2 and the MS3. Unfortunately, that won't happen.

Unless you really DIY it properly and then you are on dodgy ground licence wise.

That's the real shame IMO.

I agree with Neil for over here, too expensive for it's original reputation as DIY, slightly surprised at TD agreeing with Neil as I think you are right, the US market may take it up for V8s but no, the only thing I like about it is the connector because that's what I use :)

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

Jean i do agree it has a lot of excellent features however $1200 is a lot of money also and for europe with import duty and VAT puts it in the same money as the high end well known brands.

I still think an optional case with ampseal for a diy build would be a good thing and would entice people into MS over other makes.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm happy with the standard connectors.

I wouldn't buy one either, just keeping the thread up to date. I already have three of the original MS3/3Xs :)

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

paul im new to ms3x i have not yet bought it but im keen so have gotten tuner studio and log viewer in the hope of some what getting my head around the settings and functions but i cant find any maps that would got me in the ball park starting points for the 1098 im doing so what im realy asking is there any places i can get the maps from so i can have a look see?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The attached zip file includes a .msq from our 1293 turbo.

You should be able to load that into TunerStudio to have a look.

If you use it, then you will need to take 360 degrees out of the injection timing table. I'd added it in to cover a cockup on our cam phase sensor.

Attachments:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

cheers mate ill have a look around = ) also i see that to unlock the full use of tuner studio id need to buy it is that necessary for what we are doing? not that id buy it till i have ms3x anyways..

edit: scratch that ill need the cylinder trim functions to cater for wall wetting ect

Edited by Turbo This.. on 14th Jan, 2013.

johntrhodes81

16 Posts
Member #: 11718

All, I have tried searching on here about MS-2 Siamese vs MS3X, with not much luck. If a person is starting from scratch, what are the pluses and minuses of the 2 options: MS-2 Siamese and MS3X? Also is the MS3X ever getting siamese code?

Best Regards,
John R.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

A bit like your plenum question, I don't think there is any comparative data to say which is "best".
By comparative I mean a back to back test on the same engine (just an engine with siamesed inlets) with both of the ECUs setup to their optimum for that engine.

Other than that you will just get Paul and the others using MS3/MS3-X listing all its pros and myself and the others using MS2 (siamese) listing what we consider its pros.....

As for the last question, it was on the MS3 "roadmap" ages ago but best you register on the MS-Extra forums and ask direct, I've no doubt James (JSMcortina) will answer. Personally I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

HOWEVER, if you are asking in the context of the 8 cylinder Packard engine in your other thread, if I've understood it's design/firing order correctly, I'm almost certain that would immediately rule out an MS2 in siamese mode as I think the code only allows for two siamese ports to be sequentially injected 360* apart on a 720* engine cycle whereas you would need four injection sequences 180* apart on the 720* cycle. Although a suitably built MS2 can drive four sequential injector channels, in the siamese part of the code, I'm almost certain the 3rd and 4th channels are only available as staged injection added to the 1st and 2nd, not as a 3rd and 4th sequential pair. (Hopefully Jean will see this and confirm or otherwise).

EDIT - bit added.

Edited by Rod S on 10th Mar, 2018.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Actually I may be wrong about the 8 cylinder siamese MS2 possibility......
I've managed to setup a temporary project in TunerStudio for 8 cylinders siamese and it hasn't thrown up any errors but I'm out of the country at the moment so I can't try to load it to a real MS2 and see if it's accepted.

johntrhodes81

16 Posts

Rod S, thanks for the reply. I didn't assume anyone had done back to back tests, but assumed the 2 adherents would list what they think are the pros.

I was asking in general, because I thought that might be useful to other users contemplating EFI but unsure what route to take.

With respect to an 8 cylinder engine, thanks for looking. I had read on Jean's website that with more than 4 cylinders only semi-sequential injection is available, but didn't want to divert the thread from the A-series.

Best Regards,
John R.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Mar, 2018 johntrhodes81 said:
I had read on Jean's website that with more than 4 cylinders only semi-sequential injection is available, but didn't want to divert the thread from the A-series.

Yes, that is fundamentally true for a normal 8 cylinder engine, ie, an engine with 8 injectors and 8 inlet ports because an MS2 (with the daughterboard modification) has a maximum of 4 channels so injection has to be semi-sequential for 8 cylinders and ignition limited to wasted spark.

What you've got me wondering is whether all 4 channels can be used on 4 siamese ports... With the A series, we use the 3rd and 4th for staged injection on top of channel 1 and 2 (on its 2 siamese ports). I have always assumed that is the only way the 3rd and 4th can be allocated but TS has allowed me to create an 8 cylinder siamese project so we'll wait to see what Jean says or I get back to the UK to test it.

On 10th Mar, 2018 johntrhodes81 said:
.....but assumed the 2 adherents would list what they think are the pros.

I'm sure we could do that for the A series (4 cylinders), the debate has been had many times but the information is all over the place, never collated (we have tried collating it a few times but never finished) but it would be interesting to see what Jean says first re. 8 cylinders siamese...

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Rod, your assumption was correct. The siamese code is limited to a 4 cylinder engine and the 2 additional channels are for staged injection. There may not be an error code thrown if you try an 8 cylinder setup but that still won't work correctly.

Thinking about it, it would be possible to use the MS2 with 4 channels and set it as a 4 cylinder fully sequential injection. That would allow using it as a single pulse setup the same way MS3 is being used. The advantage of using the MS3 is that you don't have to cheat and you can configure it as an 8 cylinder but you do waste half of the injector outputs (but you get the other MS3 features).

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

johntrhodes81

16 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Glad that I didn't have bad searching skills as to the MS2 vs. MS3X issue. I moved the non-Mini content to the non-Mini section so as not to hijack this thread.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=612576

Best Regards,
John R.

minivan63

114 Posts
Member #: 9645
Advanced Member

South Wales

Hi all, I’m in the final stages of wiring up my Ms3 / msx and just have a question about the cam sensor:
I’m using the cherry gear tooth sensor (as per diyautotune sell - open collector type - in back of timing cover) and plan to run it at 12volts. Am I then ok to use the inbuilt pull up resistor in the msx (2.2k) as I am guessing this pulls up off the 5v rail? Or should I power the hall sensor from the 5v supply or alternatively use an external pull up resistor? I am just worried about damaging something if I have both 12 and 5v connected together somewhere!
Also I have grounded the hall sensor to the sensor ground rather than the crank sensor ground - will this be ok?
Many thanks.

I’ve now run the cam sensor off the 5v supply, just need some oil now and I can see if it all syncs.
Thanks

Edited by minivan63 on 30th Jul, 2018.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Megasquirt MS3 & MS3X
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: