Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Mitch gets a restoration! Now with bonus MOT!

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Wow you have been a busy boy!

I do like this car though, will it be looking the same as before?

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

Hi Nicolas! I counted today that i have been at it 6 months now, it NEEDS to be done by next summer regardless! It will remain the same except no holes in the bonnet, I have an Audi TT IC that will go behind the grill this time.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

Not a huge lot more to show despite a couple of months of work. The rear subby mount areas were patched beyond belief and I needed a new hinge panel. Arches looked pretty rough too.

The hinge panel went on, then I used the boot floor repair sections for the rear of the boot floor and down both sides near the arches. Again, probably easier to replace the whole floor. I put in new arches too, it feels good to look into the boot and see nice black heritage arches.

I have the rear valance on now, in fact that's the last panel to go on the car, still heaps of small things left to do though.

I have started back inside the car and spotting the rear bulkhead onto the arches and companion bins to the replacement floor sections. After that it's moving up the car and finishing off the fiddly bits. Hopefully ready to be shipped off for paint in a month or so.

naeJ
m

dig-mini

478 Posts
Member #: 9269

Rotherham

cracking job keep up the good work

Looks like mine bottomless money pit lol

Craig

my mini van http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=448248

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

nice work looks good

Done now needs redoing lol

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

looks good. Don't forget the re-enforcement plates for the rear of the subframe mounts. The ones normally of the valance closing panels

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

On 12th Feb, 2012 apbellamy said:
looks good. Don't forget the re-enforcement plates for the rear of the subframe mounts. The ones normally of the valance closing panels

Yeah I used non-gen closing plates that don't cover the rear mount area. I made my own reinforcement plate but it might be a bit small as it only covers the immediate area under the wheel arch bracket.

I also started looking at the doors, I felt they would be ok as the drivers side was new in '05 and the passenger side was reskinned. Sadly the passenger door bottom was rotten and someone decided to fill it with filler then reskin. So i'll have to fix that too then.

naeJ
m

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

I got the door repaired and re-skinned. Its the first time I used a door skinning tool in anger and I think it went OK. The A panel/door gap is better on the passenger side, I think the car was hit on the drivers side at one point as things just weren't so easy to line up. It will need a bit more tweaking.

I am digging the filler/sealer out of the roof gutters, I found some rust on the two front corners but everything else seems OK. I did find a few holes around the drivers side rear quarter though.

naeJ
m

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

The roof/A post will weld up. Get some flat copper bar about 2-3mm thick behind the hole and tight up to the panel. Clean the hole up and you should be able to weld the holes up without blowing loads of holes in the roof.

That said, the roof skin isn't that hard to change..

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

On 11th Mar, 2012 apbellamy said:
The roof/A post will weld up. Get some flat copper bar about 2-3mm thick behind the hole and tight up to the panel. Clean the hole up and you should be able to weld the holes up without blowing loads of holes in the roof.

That said, the roof skin isn't that hard to change..

Could remove the roof skin and fit a Carbon fibre one :) sounds like metal when you tap it and theirs no rot! :)

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

So 1 year in and I think I have all the welding done. I ended up replacing:

Wings
Scuttle
Bonnet
Both flitch panels
Sills
Tread plates
Rear foot wells
Most of the boot floor
Rear arches
Rear hinge panel
Rear valence
Door skin

Plus heaps of small repairs to the roof, rear quarters, rear seat, rear bulkhead, inner wings, companion bins, door bottom and windscreen corners. I have brush primed inside cavities and tried to seal things up as best as I can. I have heaps of waxoyl and denidrol ready to be applied after its all painted up.

I still have a a few welds to dress and some seam sealing/spot priming to do yet. I goes into the paint shop in a few weeks, can't wait! It going to get a nice coat of russet brown with a white/cream roof and will match the reverse rims and 3 point roll bar to the roof.

I stripped down the subframes and ditched the rear, I will get a new one this week and get the front and rear sandblasted and powdercoated. I have new wheel bearings/bushes to go in and top arms to rebuild but have painted up some of the suspension bits and pieces.

When its in the paint shop I'll build up the subbies and give the engine and gearbox a bit of a freshen up.

The other thing is, I got some metal in my eye whilst grinding despite wearing full PPE. Had to go to A&E, they sorted me out but I noticed my vision was a bit cloudy in 1 eye a few weeks later. It turns out I have some inflammation in my eye, 2 months of eye drops and it has cleared up a bit but won't find out if I have done permanent damage for another few weeks. Be careful in the garage folks!

Edited by Jay#2 on 12th May, 2012.

naeJ
m

wez

1226 Posts
Member #: 9271
Post Whore

Stoke on Trent

bet your glad all the weldings out of the way, ive not had anything in my eye but i have had weld spatter down my ear, luckily it burnt in just before my ear drum.
are you keeping the original colour?

one day boost will be mine!

On 10th Mar, 2012 Joe C said:
TBH peple stick it everywhere... and theres merits to each...

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

How do you like my new wheels?

Should be OK for getting the shell on a trailer to the paint shop and back.

Still a few things to do but more or less ready for prep and paint, it will remain russet brown with an off white roof. I have started to detail bits and pieces for when the subframes are back from the powdercoaters.

Edited by Jay#2 on 2nd Jun, 2012.

naeJ
m

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

On it's way to the paint shop.

We'll see how it turns out, I tend to get ripped of when it comes to this sort of thing. Starting to put bits together.

naeJ
m

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Cant wait to see it in the new coat of paint..

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Looks nice!
I like the color coding..

Where did you get the grooved discs?

Dazed and Confused....

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

TBH I can't remember where I got the discs from as I have had them a few years, I think Min-its sell them and Minisport as well. I feel my mini is pretty under-braked, the standard caliper and solid disc is all that will easily go behind the reverse rim. I am going to try some redstuff pads rather than 1144s this time, apparently redstuff are similar to ds2500s.

naeJ
m

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Cheers for that.
Was just curious what make tose were.
I haven't tried my 7.5" disks with 1144s yet most of the people on here seem to think this combo is ok?

Dazed and Confused....

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

The standard caliper and slotted disc/M1144 combo worked pretty well for me, I did manage to fade them once but that's not bad in about 8 years with that combo on the car. I still would prefer 4 pots or a larger or vented disc though but since I can't I was going to try a pad with a slightly higher temp range.

naeJ
m

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

Started the engine strip, I have found a few issues mainly knackered bores!

I knew I would find something like this as it was smoking quite badly, too much for it just being because the rings hadn't bedded in fully. When I was driving the car I had a few running issues caused by the piston sticking in the carb, mainly after a bit of a squirt. I noticed some swarf in the carb and felt it was coming from the intercooler or plenum that I got welded up. Looks like it has lead to scoring in the bores and damaged rings.

Some scores in the cam bearings and also mains and big ends.

Thrusts were a little scrubbed looking, I am using a grey diaphragm.

I will get the block measured up but I reckon a hone won't cut it, I say another set of cast omega next size up an rebore are required, only done 1000 miles too. *frown*

naeJ
m

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Looking good! and can't you sorce another block?? pistons and that should be fine??

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I'd just hone it out to what it takes, as long piston to bore clearances arn't silly. like over 7 thou.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

I do have a spare block I could use, I will get the current block to the machine shop this week and see what he says. Maybe a hone will do, we'll see. Other than that there shouldn't be too much to sort out on the engine.

naeJ
m

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Post Whore

Chocolaty brown goodness...

Roof is OEW this time but ended up quite creamy which is what I wanted.

Unfortunately I ended up needing new pistons, the hone did clean up the bores but the machinist didn't recommend reusing the pistons. I also managed to wear the valve and guides in the head! Not sure how that happened but I now have that sorted too.

naeJ
m

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Oh yeh!

Home > Show Us Yours! > Mitch gets a restoration! Now with bonus MOT!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: