Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Craigie-B 1310cc t2 mini turbo project :) (updated 17/11/2012) Now MOT'd

Wile E. Coyote

481 Posts
Member #: 7893

Portsmouth

Nuts subscription.......

My 79 Clubman Build Thread - http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=451008

Jamie.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

I have missed this thread, i have parked next to this at asda when i had the pug on the road with tm stickers all over it. Wish i had a mini on the road again

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Member #: 9468
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Which asda buddy? West swindon or walmart? Ill have to keep a look out then because I cant say I noticed the stickers on the pug *tongue*

On 10th Mar, 2012 theoneeyedlizard said:

Hypothetically speaking, where would you stick your nozzle?

On 22nd Jun, 2012 apbellamy said:
my wife doesn't know what.head is never mind compression ratio.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

North swindon, i dont drive the pug anymore i have a black clio tce last 3 is AED *smiley*

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Rickus

168 Posts
Member #: 9709
Advanced Member

Cirencester, glos

nice work dude :)

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

cheers buddy :)

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Okay so today and yesturdays write up.

Started out yesturday by drilling the waterfeed for the turbo, this is how the block started out:

So we started by drilling a pilot hole and went down 50mm and hadn't broken into the water jacket, so then we tried a bigger bit and kept going and got to about 70mm, then we drilled out 11.8mm hole at the end so we could tap it 1/4" BSP, carried on with a 6mm drill bit to get through and got to about 80mm deep and me and dad were getting nervous thinking we'd made a mistake - went 1 or 2 mm deeper and we broke into it! blew in the hole to check and sure enough it was in the water feed! Win.

We then tapped the hole at the end to 1/4" BSP so I could fit a connector to put into my water hose.

Set about putting the piston rings on the pistons:

One done:

All done:

easy enough!!

So the next issue came along when we had to fit the pistons to the con rods. Looking in the haynes manual and they were an interference fit - shit.

Quick youtube search later showed us we had to warm them to cherry red then bash out the old ones and then warm them up orange to give us enough time to bash in the new ones - sounds dodgey as fuck.

So long story short it was all a bit of a farce but we got there in the end. Didnt take any pictures because it took us that long to get it right and was fed up at the end.

Got up early the next day to go get some camshaft bearings. Went over to somerford minis and got some - win! Got home and my dad informed me they had to be pressed in and its something that we cant do in the garage, so i went over to see a friend of mine in kirtlington who has a press and a piston ring compressor.

Bearings went in straight away and then we started on the pistons.

Got the rings compressed but when we came to knock them in they would slip out just before going into the bore.

Worked out that it was because we hadn't got the ring compressor perfectly aligned and so we needed to just give it a quick tap to secure and it went in straight away - win!!

flipped the block over to put the conrod caps on and then I noticed I'd put the 3rd one on the wrong way round so took the cap off and rested the nuts on the block, was talking whilst putting them back on and so wasnt concentrating and somehow lost one of the end cap nuts which is a pain in the arse!

Not exactly how much I wanted to get done over the christmas holidays but its got to a point where I can just re-assemble the lot and its all good.

Edited by Craigie-B on 4th Apr, 2012.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Check down the push rod holes.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Checked down all the holes with a torch and gave it a shake too *frown* will have to order some more from somerford. Will double check tomorrow because i dont want to fire it up with the nut inside xD

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Will that fitting not get in the way of you down pipe??

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

It may do, but i need to custom make one anyway. If its an issue i can replace it with a different one as the thread size is pretty universal *smiley*

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

I took the engine back to uni with me because I wanted to finish it, so here it is in the conservatory type room all ready for work:

First job was to put the crankshaft in, so took out all the old shells:

Put some oil on the new ones for a bit of lube and installed them:

Crankshaft back in:

Con rod caps back on:

Main straps back on:

Everything is looking groovy!

So time to put the camshaft in, lubed up all the cam followers real nice and installed them, then lubed up the cam and went to push it in - hang on it doesn't go in.

So me being me got the rubber mallet, gave it a few hard whacks and nothing. :( Looked around for a metal hammer and we have none... So I used the old diff that I accidently brought with me as a hammer. Finally got the cam into the engine:

However it wouldnt rotate at all and I had a feeling it should of pushed in, so spoke to a few guys on here and they said that it shouldnt of been that hard to push in. Knocked out the cam, with the diff, and could see the bearings were all scored and marked, furthermore I have bits of metal comming off the bearings that were quite thick. Made sure I got all of the metal out of the block and then put the cam in a plastic bag to keep it lubed, bought some new bearings from great sommerford minis but had to wait for them to turn up so this stopped play for a bit.

Posty turned up yesturday morning with my new bearings:

Took one out to make sure they fit and slid straight over the camshaft - winner!

So got house mate out of bed, threw the engine in the mini and took the lot down to Southam Mini Metro Centre to sort it out for me please *tongue*

Went over there today and got the engine back with the new bearings in :) - Hapy Days.

Put it back in the work room:

Took out my camshaft and pushed it in with barley any effort at all I achieved this result:

I think we have a winner :)

As I have pretty much installed everything that I can without putting it back on the gearbox and stuffs I put the dizzy bung in:

Thats all the progress for now folks! Have to wait till I get home to do anymore now, but on the plus side I found the conrod nut that I lost - it was in one of the oil passageways :$ woohoo!

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Looking good man I'm a student trying to rebuild a mini on next to nothiong proving pretty much impossible good luck (y)

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

It's all about managing your money - I don't go out drinking or pretty much anything else, boring yeah I know but I spend that money on the mini project instead :)

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Tiny update:

Got a t2 turbo from a renault 5:

and the gearbox is now on :)

Getting there v slowley about to order a new head stud kit as I was goign to re-use the original but no point in spending 3k on an engine to skimp at the last minute, so the head will be going on soon

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Finally done a decent amount to this engine :) feeling like im making headway now :)

I did take pictures whilst doing the cam timing with my DTI yesturday however I forgot to put the memory card in and no longer have the awkard usb cable for camera

***********EDIT:*************

So my girlfriend found the cable for my camera so here are the DTI piccies *happy*

Finding TDC:

This is around 106Deg?

Timing chain back on and all sorted:

So here it goes from today:

Cam timing all sorted and the tensioner on:

Timing breather on:

Cleaned up my pistons and bores, hopefully this will be the last time that I ever see them *tongue* :

Got the brand new head studs on:

Put the cylinder head on:

Then I remembered that the rockers were still covered in shit, grease and oil so gave them a bath in white spirit and they came out lovely and then bolted them on as well:

Then I was informed by my uncle that the valve clearences needed setting up and so I read up in the haynes manual on how to do it and set about, good thing my dad had some feeler gauges so i cracked on and here is an after picture of it looking exactly the same visually as the previous picture pahaha:

Put the engine back in its home and put the old rocker cover on to protect it:

So tomorrow I will hopefully be able to get some of the ancileries put back on :)

Cheers for reading *happy*

Edited by Craigie-B on 6th Apr, 2012.

jlay

319 Posts
Member #: 1742

essex

nice progress mate isnt it nice when it starts to come together but shame it hides all those expensive shiney bits lol. keep up the good work

My small bore turbo project http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=473901

jameswildcooper

756 Posts
Member #: 1355
Post Whore

Leicester

looks good mate. shouldn't be too long till its on the road now then!

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Im doing the easy bit now, then ill be relying on my dad for the custom fabrication of the downpipe and manifold

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

On 25th Jan, 2012 Craigie-B said:
It's all about managing your money - I don't go out drinking or pretty much anything else

wtf - at uni and not using all the 'facilities' !?

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

facilities???

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

Nights out, meeting people etc I got sone valuable life experience from uni.

bennyy

2233 Posts
Member #: 9037
Post Whore

Doncaster, yorkshire

I would keep being boring get saved up for a good head on there, will make the world of difference...

...or go out, wait till your mates drunk and scrounge drinks?

Audi s4 b5 - 470bhp & 486ft lbs

On 15th Mar, 2012 wil_h said:

Yes, Carl says he gets requests for rimming all the time

On 30th Apr, 2012 Brett said:
yeah stick the bit in and give it a wobble *wink*

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Got a bit more done today, didnt take pictures during but heres what got done:

Oil Return flange
Water Pump
Fan Belt
Altenator
Coolant Temp Sensor
Heater Valve

I think thats it??

Anyway this is as far as I can go untill I get my dad to do all the fabrication that I need doing, so heres the piccies!

Edit: there the old spark plugs, I put them in just to close the hole in the head, Ill put the decent ones in when its in the car, same with the rocker cover :)

Edited by Craigie-B on 6th Apr, 2012.

jameswildcooper

756 Posts
Member #: 1355
Post Whore

Leicester

looks good man.
be boooostin soon *wink*

Home > Show Us Yours! > Craigie-B 1310cc t2 mini turbo project :) (updated 17/11/2012) Now MOT'd
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: