Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Wanted > Wanted: Metro driveshafts in the US

Spank

55 Posts
Member #: 909
Advanced Member

I understand that mg metro driveshafts will allow me to convert my Austin America (1300) to pot joints instead of having to use yokes or Hardy Spicer (if I am mis-informed, please speak up!)

If anyone has or wouldn't mind sending me some driveshafts please shoot me an email (I don't know how to do the pm thing). xspankx226x@sbcxglobalx.next (remove all of the x from the address).

I don't need the inner or outer cv, just the axles themselves and I will put my own mini cv joints on them.

Thanks!

Spank

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Still looking for a pair. Nobody has any and who is willing to ship them?

Dark Angel

104 Posts
Member #: 8965
Advanced Member

MIldenhall, Suffolk

Get them to me and I will ship them to you. Have you tried ebay UK?

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I think we have a pair down at John's container, we're just not down their very often to check.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Spank

55 Posts
Advanced Member

I've looked but no luck yet. I appreciate the offer to help get them to me! (Need anything from So Cal? Rubios Fish Tacos maybe? :)

I'll keep looking on ebay and elsewhere.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

If Andy/John haven't got a better example, I have a pair in reasonable condition - one has some minor damage on the raised lip where the pot joint boot locates (I'll photo it later).

An important thing to bear in mind, apart from whether the length is actually correct for what you want (I'm afraid I don't know), is that the pot joints are subtely different on a Metro to a Mini. Basically the joint is the same but the cover arrangement is different. It is more substantial and instead of folding in on itself like the Mini one it extends outwards and attaches to a sleeve which locates in the potjoint and and abuts againt the raised bit on the shaft that I mentioned. (It makes the pot joints a lot harder to get off hence why there is slight damage to the raised bit on one of mine, I only wanted the pot joint so didn't mind damaging the shaft...)

They are also slightly different at the outer end to a Mini one, they don't have the necked bit where it enters the outer part of the CV (allows for greater steering lock) but I think that is because the Metro CV outer part is bigger, which presumably your Austin America will be too, so most likely not an issue.

Perhaps Andy/John can explain the differences a bit better than me (they are the Metro experts) but I thought you ought to be aware of them (if you aren't already) before the expense of shipping.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

On 15th Sep, 2011 Rod S said:
Perhaps Andy/John can explain the differences a bit better than me (they are the Metro experts)

No no no. We just break them up and where misguided enough to keep one...

Metro CV joints do fit a mini, I have used them in a needs must situation. Mini CV boots will still fit them.

I'm pretty sure we have a set in John's container. One of us will dig them out next time we are down there.

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Photos

Inner end showing difference between Metro pot joint cover positioning and Mini (Metro top) and the slight damage to the raised lip and abutment ring (one shaft only).

Outer end - the necked bit in the Mini shaft is actually because it is a larger diameter than the Metro one !!!

Note the snap rings are missing, I couldn't find my bag of new ones when I was putting the car together so stole them of the Metro shafts...

I don't think the damage is an issue if using Mini pot joints as the cover wont go there but Andy/John may have a better one.

I've just checked postage and about £7.50 or £9.00 to Mildenhall depending on speed of delivery (if Dark Angel then forwards them) or ~£30:00 direct to the USA (7-10 day service).

If you want them they are yours for cost of postage, plus make a small donation to the server fund (how much is up to you) as I have no use for them, if you want to wait and see if Andy/John have some slightly better ones, I'll put them back in the large box of things I'm never going to use, along with all the rest of the things I'll never use :)

Spank

55 Posts
Advanced Member

I'll happily take them! How can I send you payment for the postage? Paypal? Or maybe I should just include it with whatever I need to pay DarkAngel for shipping to me and have him fwd the gbp to you? (I'm preferring the Mildenhall option which will treat it like domestic US shipping). I'll take a second set if they're available from others!

BTW: This car will be my 5th entrant in the race series, 24Hours of LeMons www.24hoursoflemons.com

I currently field a MKI mini with 998 turbocharged, a 68 moke, a 1971 SIMCA 1204, used to have (but gave away) a 71 Citroen iD, and currently receiving a rollcage is the America (an Austin 1100/1300 to your side of the pond). Waiting in the wings is a 63 Ford Taunus and a 1929 Mercedes Gazelle replica/kit car.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

No problem, up to you who pays, PayPal is fine so long as you (either of you) do it the fee-free way (or pay the fees). I think you would also get a currency conversion charge if you do it from the USA whereas DarkAngel perhaps has a UK PayPal account ???

Either way, one of you PM me and I'll give whichever of you my PayPal address.

Obviously I need the Mildenhall name/address.

Choice of postage in the UK,
The pair are just under 4kg together,

£7.62 standard parcels (4-5 days)
£8.95 first class (usually next day)
£9.72 recorded (usually next day and signed for/tracked)

The only issue if you want to pay the extra for a quick delivery to Mildenhall is I can't guarantee what day I'll be able to take them to the Post Office so the speed of delivery is all relative....

Rod.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I'll try and look for the other shafts, but we're away this weekend.

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

One pair now on their way to Mildenhall :)

Spank

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks Rod! I pm'd DarkAngel to see if he wants me to send him the dosh or if he'd prefer I just send it straight to you. I also asked him to wait on sending them to me until we hear from apbellamy if he finds any in his pile.

Very much appreciated!

Spank

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Well, the race is this weekend and I have no axles. Bummer.

Guess I'm going to have to pull the motor and swap the diff to yoke or hardy spicer so I can still run.

Appreciate all who helped and offered to help. I guess I should have just had them sent straight away instead of waiting for a chance that multiple sets to be sent over at once... (greed is a terrible thing-- I shoulda just been happy with one set)

Home > Wanted > Wanted: Metro driveshafts in the US
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: