Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Mini 1293 Turbo - The Resurrection 2024

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Member #: 9199
Post Whore

Lancashire

well postman arrived today with to big boxes *happy*
first box was off matty and contained the manifold for the gt17 *tongue*

looks amazing, got a couple of questions though, i assume studs are required to fit the turbo but this will require the turbo manifold drilling out and how the hell do you get a nut on one of the bottom bolts without grinding the turbo housing. I can only assume its the latter, need to order studs if im right and k nuts.

second box contained new pistons Omega 10cc *happy*

now need to get the block to the machine shop to be bored out to +20 and deck 0.020" as advised by BENROSS. which should leave a 2cc deck height.

also managed to modify the standard throttle linage to fit on the opposite side of the carb, very interesting drilling a square hole *surprised*

also stripped another spare n/a carb down and drilled out the blacked of airway to convert it to turbo, just awaiting the rebuild kit off turbo phil to arrive then decide which carb to overhaul.

also awaiting a seat leon cupra intercooler as per rob gavin's build to arrive.

Edited by lee.pb on 14th Oct, 2013.

What the mind can conceive the mini can achieve
MITP 2012 17.01 seconds 1/4 mile against "The Don"
MITP 2013 16.83 seconds 1/4 mile

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

not much progress has been made for the last couple of weeks :(
managed to get another intercooler as per rob gavins build (seat leon), looks like it will fit *Clapping*
also got a genuine turbo carb and throttle plate for the build but these are the least of my issues now :(

there a couple of marks on the mini that i was looking at getting fixed, but after taking it to the paint shop for a quote, it looks like the paint is lifting off the body in a couple of places, had a press and poke at the lump in the scuttle and a large crack and chunk of paint has come off *angry* and can see bare metal.

looks like i may have to get the mini repainted now :( as there is a couple of other small bubbles around the mini but that was the worst on the scuttle.

afrance2905

265 Posts
Member #: 10512

whitby, north yorkshire

lovely looking car remember seeing it in one of the mini magazines just the little feature and liking it didnt know it was on here, like the mambas aswell will be getting some myself in the future

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

cheers, was in mini magazine (reader cars) then got a full feature in mini world.
things have changed since then, with going turbo and wheels and seats.
now have a set for force racing specials to be fitted once its back on the road next year hopefully *happy*

On 28th Oct, 2013 afrance2905 said:
lovely looking car remember seeing it in one of the mini magazines just the little feature and liking it didnt know it was on here, like the mambas aswell will be getting some myself in the future

jamestar

489 Posts
Member #: 9159

Devon

I'm in the same boat mate, need to find out what everyone else has done, everyone must have had the same issue, even with the standard manifold

On 14th Oct, 2013 lee.pb said:

looks amazing, got a couple of questions though, i assume studs are required to fit the turbo but this will require the turbo manifold drilling out and how the hell do you get a nut on one of the bottom bolts without grinding the turbo housing. I can only assume its the latter, need to order studs if im right and k nuts.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Grind a bit out of the turbo housing.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

as andy says you can grind a small amount off the turbo housing as per the photo attached.
or you can put a stund in the none accessable fixing and drill out the treads on the manifold.

personally i'll be grinding the housing.

On 6th Nov, 2013 apbellamy said:
Grind a bit out of the turbo housing.

Attachments:

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Managed an hour or two in the garage this weekend, been a while since i've seen the mini and looks in a sad way at the moment. stripped all the n/a bits off ready to mock up the turbo.

Changed the filter head to attempt to get some more room for the intercooler and managed to gain an extra inch which has allowed just enough clearance.

Mounted the turbo on the maifold as per Matty's instructions and ground the lug off the back.

Even managed to check the clearance of the turbo *surprised* very close to the bulkhead and not much room for the actuator so going to fit a turbo box anyway. Think the engine isn't straight as when the lcb was fitted the Y piece touched the body and required modifications with a hammer *Clapping*

Next job is to rebuild the gt1752 since the rebuild kit has now arrived. *happy*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Why not just lean the engine forward a bit?

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

That is it lent forward as the pre-engaged stater motor is touching the front panel.
Will make it easier removing the turbo too as at present i have to fit it to the head before hand.

On 17th Nov, 2013 apbellamy said:
Why not just lean the engine forward a bit?

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Some progress made today at last, managed to make 3 brackets to hold the intercooler.
There a little rough at the moment and require a little filing to tidy them up so no pictures at present.
Thanks again Rob for the pictures of your brackets was a great help.

Managed to remove one of the drive shafts , need to remove the other one tomorrow and disconnect gear linkage then off with the bonnet and out comes the engine.

Had the all clear off the wife to spend some time in the garage tomorrow while the kids and her put up the Christmas decorations.

Hopefully will have engine out tomorrow ready to be stripped before a trip to Benross next weekend.

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Well made some progress today on getting the mini ready for turbo power, had to make a deal with the wife though *surprised* before i could spend time in the garage. Had to get all the xmas dec's out the loft and put the external lights up, trust me only 1/2hr and it was done *smiley*

The plan was to hopefully get the engine ready to be lifted out of the mini but made more progress than expected. First task was to start removing everything that was in the way, starting with the bonnet / radiator and alternator, since the manifold and carb have already gone to a new home.

Next was to get rid of the pesky servo which takes up too much room and which wont be getting refitted on the rebuild, so will be up for sale.

The final intended task was to remove the quick release pins from the bottom mounts but as usual they wouldnt budge so ended up just undoing the mounts off the sub frame.

So the time had come to re-leave the mini of its n/a engine ready to be stripped down, so out came the engine.

Since i had seemed to of made good time removing the engine decided to continue for a while and start to dismantle the engine to scavenge any parts i'm going to use in the turbo build.

Hopefully should all be stripped and boxed upready for a trip over the hill to BENROSS for the build, next is to continue to finish the intercooler mounts since there is more room now. Then is time to break out the grinder and fit a turbo box and solid sub frame mounts once the fuel lines are completed.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Good progress! I shall be watching closely, just bought a gt17 myself.

minimole23

4303 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

What wheel arches are they?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

There Grp5's.

On 1st Dec, 2013 minimole23 said:
What wheel arches are they?

minimole23

4303 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Thanks. Where from? I have been looking for some that wrap round the rear valance for a while.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

http://www.minisport.com/spdsp-7j-group-5-...s-set-of-4.html

there minisport ones, needed a little fetling to get them to fit the body.

On 1st Dec, 2013 minimole23 said:
Thanks. Where from? I have been looking for some that wrap round the rear valance for a while.

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Since Dawn was watching Desperate House Wives and Frankie was playing out decided that i need some quality time in the garage.

Made some progress in getting the mini ready for the turbo transplant, managed to remove the interior / dashboard and heater ready for the bulk head to be cut. Also removed anything within the engine bay that may get in the way.

Before dash removed:

Then moved on to stripping a 998 verto clutch ready for an RTS version to be built out of 2 clutches, hopefully this will be a simple enough job but who knows.

Next job is to start to mark out the bulk head ready for a date with the angle grinder.

Edited by lee.pb on 26th Dec, 2013.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 26th Dec, 2013 lee.pb said:
Since Dawn was watching Desperate House Wives

Is she your sister?

*hehe!*

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

I am from Lancashire *oh well*

On 26th Dec, 2013 apbellamy said:
On 26th Dec, 2013 lee.pb said:
Since Dawn was watching Desperate House Wives

Is she your sister?

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Managed to get an hour or two in the garage this afternoon.

Started to strip the mini down ready to be sent to Robbo so he can sort out the cracks where the wings join the scuttle and a couple of other bits. Lights removed and front arches which also could do with a quick rub down and a lick of black paint.

Also marked out the bulkhead box ready to be cut out hopefully next weekend *happy*

Engine is back on the bench ready to be mated to the gearbox, i think i may keep the spec close to my heart but thanks again STEVE BENROSS *Clapping* thats probably let the cat out lol

Gearbox is complete straight cut using the clubman set and fitted with a 3.2 FD and 4 pin diff. Once again a Benross special.

Head has also had its chambers open to 26cc to lower the compression ready for the 16psi BOOST.

Need to order a few bits from minispares now to allow it to be put back together. Really looking forward to getting the mini back on the road in April, still missing a couple of bits boost hoses but until engine is back in cant really do out with that and of course a dump valve *hehe!*

Hopefully will be on the road on April fools day.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 19th Jan, 2014 lee.pb said:

saw this pic and thought bye eck some twat has been in my engineroom *happy*

mini is comming on now, shame about the paint and stuff though mate

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Paint can be sorted, its just as easy to give the green a once over instead of blowing it into the panels.

Just need to sort out RTS clutch now, hopefully Sprocket will be able to assist with it, have all the parts.

Next job once the mini is at paint is to build up the force racing special split rims ready for its return.

lee.pb

1419 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Managed a couple of hours in the man cave this afternoon, so decided to start cutting the bulk head out ready for the turbo installation.

Must of measured it 3 or 4 time before making the first cut (and it was the deepest) :roll: took the offending metal out in sections so the box will fit nice and tight.

Still need to make a fill in piece and fettle a little more with maybe a hammer or two, then its getting welded in *happy*

Also had a box arrive with various gaskets, new AP racing fast road clutch plate and dual line master cylinder. Hopefully may get another pass tomorrow and start to build engine up or continue to strip the mini ready for the body shop.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Good stuff!

Out of interest, where did you get the clutch plate from and how much?

Home > Show Us Yours! > Mini 1293 Turbo - The Resurrection 2024
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: