Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > New Rings? End Gap Too Large?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

http://www.diagnosticengineers.org/journal...edge%20Gaps.php

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

interesting

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Interesting.

I never worry about ring gaps and never have, but then what do I know ?.

jamie@thefatgarage

665 Posts
Member #: 9345
Post Whore

Sheffield

I remember reading about that somewhere years ago. I can't say ring gaps have ever been top of my list of concerns ever since. Just goes to show how much complete bollocks is talked about engine building.

almichie

824 Posts
Member #: 2065
Post Whore

Wiltshire

huh, that was certainly interesting. Reciprocating refrigerant compressor manufacturers also say that the gaps in piston rings be staggered. And I acctually beleived in it! Thats that out the window then.

Nice find

On 7th Nov, 2011 apbellamy said:
Shaft seems nice and snug

On 24th Mar, 2012 apbellamy said:
no no no no, you need more boost! you can never ever come on here and say I have enough boost, that's just silly.

On 29th Mar, 2010 Star Mag said:
these give no problems with good head

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I think the coin drops when you consider pegged rings

I also read somewhere else that suggests one possible reason why the rings rotate, which is due to the hone in the bore.

Also makes you wonder about Total seal gapless rings *hehe!*

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I've read a few articles saying that total seal rings are snake oil.

Also I'm sure John Sleath mentioned to Andy when we had the van rollered that he has known motors that have burnt oil and blue smoked from new with total seal rings. But swap them out with conventional ones and the problem goes away.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

he said they smoke after a while sat idling

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 24th Jan, 2012 John said:

Also I'm sure John Sleath mentioned to Andy when we had the van rollered that he has known motors that have burnt oil and blue smoked from new with total seal rings. But swap them out with conventional ones and the problem goes away.

How many people read the instalation instructions and follow them though. I know I was flamed on this very forum when I said I lubricated the TotalSeal rings with WD40 on instalation, even though TotalSeals instructions were clear, as the 'norm' is to use engine oil to liberally lubricate the rings on instalation. I've used convensional and gapless TotalSeal rings without any worries, and all were installed with WD40.

Fact of the matter with the Total Seal rings that I have used, is that they were the only rings available for the pistons I have, so the gap/ gapless thing is irrelevant to my purpose *happy*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 24th Jan, 2012 apbellamy said:

I wonder what the mechanics are behind that

wez

1226 Posts
Member #: 9271
Post Whore

Stoke on Trent

Could it be to do with the longer period of time on the compression stroke? Or possibly lower cylinder temps? Maybe?

On 24th Jan, 2012 Sprocket said:

On 24th Jan, 2012 apbellamy said:

I wonder what the mechanics are behind that

one day boost will be mine!

On 10th Mar, 2012 Joe C said:
TBH peple stick it everywhere... and theres merits to each...

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

However, it's a good thing to measure ring gap as we all know what happens if it's too small.
The hone pattern is there to make the rings rotate, why else would you want such a diamond pattern?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

wez

1226 Posts
Member #: 9271
Post Whore

Stoke on Trent

I've been told that the pattern In the honing is to hold on to the oil residue??? Any truth in that?

one day boost will be mine!

On 10th Mar, 2012 Joe C said:
TBH peple stick it everywhere... and theres merits to each...

Mr Joshua

2487 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

That is what I was taught too, shinny bores don't hold onto oil

Own the day

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

No one is disputing the hone is what 'lubricates' the rings in a running engine, but a 90 cross hatch would hold onto oil just as much. I'm with Vegard.

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 24th Jan, 2012 John said:

And I spoke to a very professional builder just recently, and he stated that if you're blowing smoke with Total Seal rings, or indeed any rings, your bore finish must be horrific, or piston bore clearances horrific. Either way a build issue, NOT the rings.

Quite relevant to the post above actually.

Piston ring gaps are important. But only from the point of view that too tight can lead to seizures with catastrophic consequences.

Ive used Total Seal gapless and non-gapless on many engines. Never have I had an issue with them being smokey or burning oil that wasnt down to the two things I mentioned. And even then, it was only 2 that burnt a little oil ( never visible ). None have ever been smokey.
That's n/a engines through to turbocharged running near 40psi boost.

As for gapless offering any benefit ? Who knows. If it is measurable, probably a very small one. But then it's usually only 1 ring of the pack that uses their gapless design ( but of course there is still a gap and normal gapping rules must apply. ie, not too tight )

And rings do rotate. If they all end up with the gap in the same spot on any bore...it's usually a sign of the bore not being totally round.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Alex

690 Posts
Member #: 1851
Post Whore

Woolavington, Zummerzet

I discussed ring gaps with three eminent engine builders down the pub after the Autosports show (see current editorial pic in Mini Mag for a clue).
General consensus was that spacing the gaps 180° apart on build made you feel better but was actually useless as rings make roughly one complete rotation per 1000 revs.

Metric is for people who can't do fractions.

408.Luke

36 Posts
Member #: 9909

Tyler, Texas

First off this guy contradicts himself, saying that the ring gaps dont have to be staggered then he goes to say that when they are staggered they make a "maze" so you dont get blow by....

I always stagger my rings and i always gap my rings, usually very big. So big in fact that my 408 on idle smokes a ton through the catch can filter. This is because its a nitrous motor and you need really big ring gaps for a 400 shot. Now on boost setups we generally run a bit less but not by much. Ring gap is very important for a performance setup and is generally a well kept secret to most engine builders as to what they set them at.

Staggering rings is also important. Yes they do turn and can all line up but what are the chances of them staying there? None i hope because that means they have stopped turning. If your ring gaps and hone is correct they should continue to turn and they wont stay lined up very long.

It sounds like the reason for the top seal rings smoking is they arnt sealing. The reason stock rings didnt smoke is they are a softer material and seated faster/ easier.

-1974 Mini 1000 - BRG Turbo Build Soon to come

-04.5 LLY Duramax - RC/LB - White - Built Trans - EFILive - Dropped 4/6

-2013 TDI Passat - SEL - White - Lowered on Coilovers - Daily Driver

-2003 Silverado SS - 408 Stroker - DP NO2 - Full Suspension ~900hp For Sale

mossy2a

389 Posts
Member #: 9751

Derbyshire

I used to build 600+ bhp leman engines and have installed rings with gaps opposite etc. put the engine on the dyno, strip after and the rings gaps are all over. Regarding gaps. They had to be precise and the edges on the rungs were de-blurred under a microscope.

I've also seen rings which had too small a gap and during running expanded and contacted and caged other problems.

Edited by mossy2a on 26th May, 2012.

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > New Rings? End Gap Too Large?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: