Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > New project -but not a mini

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Got that bit sorted

Now started on the floor/sill etc on the drivers side

All this cutting out may seem like progress but its the putting together I want to get round to !

pinkyandnobrain

720 Posts
Member #: 2588
Post Whore

Pretoria South Africa

Dave, it looks great !

Do you get replacement panels for these or are you making them all yourself ?

Oh and on a side note we have two of these racing in historics at my local circuit, called Jumbo and Tee pot.

"So wat we gonna do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do evernight Pinky!"
"Try to take over the world!"

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

The replacement steel (lots of it !) are a mixture of commercially avialable repair sections and some I have made myself.

Given the variable fit and quality of the reair sections that I have bought, I wish I had made more myself - I shant be buying any more.

I,m guessing you racing A35,s are saloons like my turbocharged "blue blobule" ( I like that name Robert gave it) whereas this is a van.

If I,m wrong I,d love to see some pics of a racing A35 van - they used to race both the van and pickup version in the 50,s

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Got a bit fed up with welding and grinding so I have had a go at the new backplate to fit the BMW gearbox.

This is the old backplate side by side with the start of the new one.

This is the plug I made for the rear main bearing in the block lent to me by Matty, so that I can line up the first motion shaft.

and on this one you can probably just make out the circles yet to be cut for the oil pump and starter as well as the two outlines, old and new.The starter holes line up almost perfectly.

Anyone got any good ideas how I may get the outline cut out (8mm steel) without umpteen hacksaw blades, grinding discs and bad language , please ?

I know that a CNC laser or water jet will do it but I would need to provide a CAD file for the profile and thats well beyond me !

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I would freehand gas cut that out, the shape will be only as good as the guy with the torch, but it should get it close enough to then finish with a grinder.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Time.to join matty's chain drilling club

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Loving the gearbox idea...

Why cant I be this clever..........I suppose thats why I have a Tom and a Carl *hehe!*

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

You say clever - some might say foolhardy and impetuous amateur.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

plasma

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Where, Robert ?

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Bucks welding have a plasma Dave.

Speak to Kev, he'll tell you if he's happy doing it, if he's not he'll tell you aswell. lol

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Well, I got bored with machining and drilling and my brain hurts with all this thinking about gearbox conversions so I went back to nice simple things like cutting, grinding and welding.

After about 2 hours of faring about I finally got that poxy floorpan in (why cant these sections fit properly ?)

I then decided to start on the underbody re-finishing of the parts I had done, and to start re-fitting the axle

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

Surely enough room to splice a honda crv rear end in there for a floating diff and non leaf suspension? Prob weigh less too

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Depends on how much it is necessary to shorten everything to get it inside the arches - I,m not flaring them !!

Most IRS stuff would end up with 9" drive shafts and that would be too short to allow any real suspension movement.

I have worked out a way to use a Hillman Imp beam and trailing arms with a Sierra or Vitesse diff though - and that keeps the PCD the same so could use the original wheels too.

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Nice work Dave. Was that all painted up when I last saw it?

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Been avoiding the workshop for a while (new grand daughter, natural indolence)
but now got my replacement doors fitted (after about a week of struggling) and just spent ywo days on repairing the front wings.

I needed to get these repaired and bolted on to get reference points to repair /replace the front panel, valance and radiator support panel all of which are pretty poor.

I have now pretty well finished the underbody prep and painting with the exception of the engine bay area but with the hosepipe ban I wont be able to use the pressure washer to remove 50+ years of accumulated oil grease and grime.

I think I can see light at the end of this welding tunnel !

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

just do it david , after all ,its a hosepipe ban , not a pressure washer ban *smiley*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Exactly a pressure washer isn't a hose pipe. :)

I'll be over in a while Dave, looking forward to seeing the progress in the flesh.

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Today I was able to use, for the first time, one of the tools that Richard sold to me.

I wish that I had had one of these years ago !

I then decided to attack the front end rust with the angle grinder and cutting disc.

Lots of fabrication and welding to do, but I do have a new valance.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

looking good

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Looking good Dave.

You're welcome to borrow my spot welder if you want to. It'll save having to grind back lots of plug welds.

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I had one once but could not get on with it and TBH, I really needed one about 3 months ago for the sills and inner sills.
So, despite another example of TM cameraderie, I thank you for the offer but wont borrow it at the moment,Matt

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

It was seeing how many welds you had to grind down made me think of it.

What was the problem you had when you tried using one? They can be a bit cumbersome because of there weight, but I found mine really easy to use.

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I kept having to set/reset the "burn time" as I seemed to either get no penetration or burn through. I also had to keep re-profiling the electrodes every time it burned through and steel stuck to the tips.

In the end I gave it to a friend !

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

What a fantastic project. Is it hard getting body panels for it?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > New project -but not a mini
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: