Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > New project -but not a mini

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Not so fantastic V, but thanks for the encouragement.

There are no new panels available but lots of repair sections, but they are of very variable quality so I have decided to try and make what I need from now on.

Given enough time and bit of luck this may see a drag strip sometime next year although it wont set the strip alight.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Great project, but I think what it really needs is a v8:)

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Each to his own, I say.

If you have seen my A35 saloon you will know that I prefer subtlety.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Been cracking on a bit recently
Thats the valance welded in and the rad support panel repaired
Front panel repair sections welded in. Just the closing panesl at the ends under the wings to finish now.
Also tried my modified grille - just like the one on the blue blobule

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

looks like it coming on well

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Hi David,must have been asleep when you put this on.A35 vans are a bit rare,this will make a fantastic impact,especially parked alongside the saloon.I admire the sheet metal work,and that BMW box conversion.How is the fit in the tunnel?

'Where does the engine go?'

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Thanks Steve.

Matt has let me borrow the block once more, to continue the BMW gearbox project, but TBH I have spent all the time in the workshop on the van bodywork.

I have to strip off the manifolds and front pipe on TMT now, as I have an elusive small exhaust leak -I never seem to make the sort of progress I remember doing 20 years ago !

I have finished the welding on the van, apart from a few minor jobs, so will fix TMT and then put the KTM on the ramp for a fork and brake overhaul before I start on the long haul of paint preparation.I am behind schedule, as I wanted all the welding to be finished by Easter !

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Mmm,suspect I have an exhaust leak on the Midget also,but it is so noisy with just the cherry bomb that I'm not sure *evil*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

This where its at right now and unlikely to progress for at least another 3/4 weeks as work will get in the way.

Yesterday I stripped off everything to find the exhaust blow on the blue saloon but just eased the turbo out to fit a new manifold gasket, just in case. I welded up the evacusump fitting in the front pipe, checked the joints to both turbo and the rest of the system, filled up with freshh antifreeze and if anything its now blowing worse ?

Suspect the manifold to turbo joint or maybe cracked turbo housing but cant be arsed to pull it all apart today.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

That looks great

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Wait till its finished Andy, sign writing and all.

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Looking good David.

Whats next ?

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

V8 turbo, nitrous, Reliant Robin

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I now have the engine block and BMW gearbox mated, ready for a trial instal, to see if it fits
!!

I couldnt resist the fiollowing picture which I call The Engine Room.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

not sure why , but my mind just went "daleks" when i saw that picture ^^^^

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Which picture, Robert ?

And BTW, welding and Firegum fixed it !!

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

the engine room one .

oh good ,well done ,its a nice relief when you cure an annoying exhaust chatter.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

gearbox looks massive against that block

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Yes it does, but its actually shorter than the Type 9 Ford in the blobule and a good deal lighter.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Been a long while since I posted on this due to work and my wife has had a cataract operation so I have been in pinny rather than overalls !.

No pics yet, but the gearbox has now been fitted - needed to cut out most of the trans tunnel to allow it to fit so will need to re- make all that in due course.
I also have to make time to visit the engineering firm in Birmingham that did Matty,s stuff, just to get the link made to my propshaft.

Will put pics up sometime, but I,m still heavily involved with the ITC section at the local school so time is limited.

This WILL get finished - some time !!

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

As promised, I attach a pic of the gearbox in sutu, even though I have not yet re-made the trans tunnel.

I have made very little progress with preparing the shell for paint so have decided to set aside all next week to blitz this.

Meanwhile, I have done some other prep work - here are the wheels and brakes.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Always good when you start seeing parts in paint!

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Double rear wheels for traction,or twin steer?Looking good ,David,could be the way forward for A series RWD. *Clapping*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Just made an extra couple of wide rims while I was at it.I shall probably put my Dunlop R tyres on the two spares, just for the odd trip to the strip.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I like the positive forward thinking!

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > New project -but not a mini
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: