Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Lobe Separation Effects

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Haha Robert! That Pumaracing sure likes the word Bazinga a lot though!
All this cam stuff is over my head, but from something i read earlier, the 5 port is better suited to a scatter cam. Are all those graphs somewhat relevant to a 5 port large bore carbed engine Paul?

Edited by Carlzilla on 11th Feb, 2012.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Only 5-ports need scatter. They are designed around the siamese port. If you have one port per cylinder there is no point in having a scatter cam.

Interesting graphs.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The graphs are interesting but I don't think that they tell us anything that we did not know already.

Those of us who have spent far too much of their spare time on TM over the last 5 years know that the most proven 5-port turbo cams are the MG and the Ph2. I've had good results with the MD274, but it is not widely used yet. The Ph2 gives good power at the top end on a 998, but off-boost torque was down by around 30% - didn't we know that?

Stock cams and any high duration cams do not deliver the goods.

Didn't we know that already?

So, for me, the results tell us more about the accuracy of the simulation process for making comparisons. OK, the dyno will need to confirm the actual numbers, but the relative numbers stack up.

The other thing that I've been doing is looking at scatter cams with varying degrees of scatter. Some with whopping scatter and LSA variations. The results have been disappointing and further investigation has led to an interesting conclusion. I need to generate some graphs to explain it. Stay tuned.

Edited by Paul S on 12th Feb, 2012.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

yep, it stack up with a lot of my assumtions, although I was suprised to see the ph2 better the scatter one at the top end,

I'd say high duration cams do not deliver the goods in the way we normally use them, I'd say that with proper exhaust and inlet design and a wide LCA a long scatter cam could come into its own on the 5 port, but thats just a hunch, I havend Simed it, and if I had it wouldnt have been as in depth as what you have access too.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 12th Feb, 2012 Joe C said:
I'd say high duration cams do not deliver the goods in the way we normally use them, I'd say that with proper exhaust and inlet design and a wide LCA a long scatter cam could come into its own on the 5 port, but thats just a hunch, I havend Simed it, and if I had it wouldnt have been as in depth as what you have access too.

You're not wrong. That "other" cam that I have is something like a 286 on a 112 LSA and seems to work OK on the 1293T simulation and is proven on the dyno. But again scattering those profiles make little impact.

But I have optimised the inlet runners at 100mm shorter than the 998 to work best with the longer duration, plus it is more of a race engine.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

tried siming anything 300 deg or over yet? assuming a BIG turbo ie low TIP somthing like a GT30.

might be a pig off boost though, lol

getting a bit ot there though...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No, but I've put a GT28 on the Miglia engine and 25psi :) Frightening.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Anyway, scatter pattern cams.

The software allows parametric modelling, so you can select a number of variables, tell it a range of values and it will run all possible combinations. You can them compare the results and select the "best". Normally best for me is the largest area under the power curve, rather than a headline figure.

So, I set it running with up to 104 to 116 degrees LCA on inners and outer cylinder inlets, left it overnight, took the best results and ran it against a similar range of exhaust values.

The "best" result, after all that, was only a nats cock better than the starting point.

Now, my theory is that by separating the inlet events to prevent charge robbing, you actually destroy the momentum in the port at the point of inlet valve overlap. So what you gain in VE on the inner cylinder, you loose on the outers, nett result - zero gain.

You do see a gain with just 2 degrees of scatter but above that the gains flatten out. That probably explains why Viz SP cams just have 2 degrees of scatter.

So I'm parking scatter for now.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Interesting,

its been said that scatter patern cams only come onto their own from 290 upwards (by paul W?) but thats on NA stuff, the different pressures from a turbo set up may well change that totally.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, if you consider the maximum lift during the overlaps on the MD274:

1mm on the inlet/exhaust overlap
2mm on the inner inlet/outer inlet overlap.

The corresponding figures for a standard 286 with 1.5 rockers are 2.5mm and 5mm, so charge robbing will be much more of an issue.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The thing to also consider for this particular 998 Turbo configuration is that it is already running over 100% VE at peak, so it is possibly unrealistic to expect large gains from any further mods.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

thats equal to an rs200 btw

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 12th Feb, 2012 Joe C said:
tried siming anything 300 deg or over yet? assuming a BIG turbo ie low TIP somthing like a GT30.

might be a pig off boost though, lol

getting a bit ot there though...

I tried the normal Kent 286 back in 95. That was with a T3 on a 0.36 turbine and with Cossie compressor wheel at 20psi.
It was horrific. Nothing whatsoever below 3k, although it did pull strongly from about 5500-8000rpm.

No stronger though than the MG cam did from say 4k-7k, yet the MG would easily pull 1000rpm in 4th gear. The 286 was still crap at 3k in 4th lol !
Often I had to be in a lower gear than i should have been due to the total loss of low end with the 286..
I dread to think how bad a 300+ profile might be unless the LSA was massively widened ( if that is even possible )

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Paul interesting you wanted to try the 266 with some 1.5's I was thinking the same with mine as its an easy install if you do it the pikey way. Anything make you think it's worth the time and money on a set of 1.5's there is a club rr day at the place I use WI I could see it against last years figures?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 12th Feb, 2012 gr4h4m said:
Paul interesting you wanted to try the 266 with some 1.5's I was thinking the same with mine as its an easy install if you do it the pikey way. Anything make you think it's worth the time and money on a set of 1.5's there is a club rr day at the place I use WI I could see it against last years figures?

A supercharged setup is a totally different kettle of fish.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Any guess's

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You'll lose boost through the overlap and make less power ????

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

pisser.

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

good read !

Interested regarding the supercharging
I am doing a 1172 sidevalve with Eaton 45
The std cam for this engine has 300deg exhaust duration !
was going to just have the inlet reground for more lift and less BTDC overlap [ std 35deg]

?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You want some overlap to allow a bit of scavenging of the combustion chmber, but with a supercharged setup, too much overlap would be bad for performance.

If you limit overlap so that the valves are open less then 2mm at the cross-over point (exhaust closing, inlet opening, both at same lift), then I would expect it to be OK. That's just a hunch though as I have not tried it myself.

carl talbot

326 Posts

On 15th Feb, 2012 Paul S said:
You want some overlap to allow a bit of scavenging of the combustion chmber, but with a supercharged setup, too much overlap would be bad for performance.

If you limit overlap so that the valves are open less then 2mm at the cross-over point (exhaust closing, inlet opening, both at same lift), then I would expect it to be OK. That's just a hunch though as I have not tried it myself.

Its all a bit of a hunch for me - !

std cam is :- inlet 35/50 full lift 118
exhaust 70/50 full lift 100

just tried a nice regrind cam in na 1172 based on the mini piper 285 with a 10 deg offset dowel
[in.35/60 ex.60/25 with 107 full lift ] good lift , exhaust valves just touch the sparkplug electrodes !

for the supercharged [ blow through Metro turbo carb and manifold matched to 1172 siamesed ports]
thinking of cam :- in.15/45 full lift at 110 [240 duration], ex. 60/45 at 110 [290 duration] with max lift as per the above cam ! ie the inlet ramped open to max very fast , exhausty more as per NA ?
[ sorry about the highjack - interested in other forced induction peep's opinions ]
carl

Edited by carl talbot on 15th Feb, 2012.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

if I didnt think that the valves would hit the bock I would give the 1.5's a go. I'm thinking that the extra 20% lift will casue the oversized exhaust valves to touch.

looking at some google figures for the 266 I think the overlap would increase to about 1.7mm, which might be worth the risk for the extra lift.

carl talbot

326 Posts

On 11th Feb, 2012 robert said:

On 11th Feb, 2012 stevieturbo said:

There's a lot of talk on camshafts over on PH at the minute, although it's more to do with intake centre line than LSA.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...entreline+Angle

just stuck my nonsense in there too...:)

You might have upset someone ?! seems like they don't like your pictures and your Woooosh *happy*

ministef1

730 Posts
Member #: 1791
Post Whore

Cranleigh, surrey

I can only go on experience in my car, i had a 266 with GT17, drivability by far one of the nicest combinations, no lag, but as explained here, topped out very quickly top end, which is why i wish i had gone for a phase2, i could only ever get over 200 banana's with a little boost from the intake weld blowing nos *wink*

If i were to build another, i would definately look at cam options and a modern day turbo, like a gt20/25/28

"Cars are a lifetime of pain"

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

oh dear oh dear ,oh dear ! no sense of umour !

On 16th Feb, 2012 carl talbot said:

On 11th Feb, 2012 robert said:

On 11th Feb, 2012 stevieturbo said:

There's a lot of talk on camshafts over on PH at the minute, although it's more to do with intake centre line than LSA.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...entreline+Angle

just stuck my nonsense in there too...:)

You might have upset someone ?! seems like they don't like your pictures and your Woooosh *happy*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Technical Chat > Lobe Separation Effects
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: