Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 Turbo Build - Slow Progress

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Thanks Pedro, ordered some today form him.

Today's progress:
Metro vented brakes built up

Alternator modified so the pulleys line up:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Well only a couple of hours this morning and there looks like there's been loads of progress, which is nice as that's the opposite of what's been happening for the rest of the project!

Shims arrived from guessworks, and as per, was great service. Got the idler shimmed up so cleaned the gearbox out and got it mounted on the block.

Then fitted the high flow 1275 oil pump i'd modified for the 998 cam arrangement

Then I could fit the idler gear and transfer case

Then to help close up the holes to keep dust out etc, I dummy fitted the wok and cylinder head.

All that remains is the Head gasket so I can finish the top end build, primary gear bearings for the clutch and flywheel, and roller bearings for the diff.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Immaculate aint the word!!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Gold studs = dedication to a colour scheme😀

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

scoop-face

46 Posts
Member #: 11122

Scottish Borders.

Nice build! Looks like it's all coming together nicely now.

Paul Ireson

7 Posts
Member #: 10552

Sevierville, Tennessee USA

Paul USA here, i am looking to buy Metro Turbo setup for my 1275 Mini, i bought one two years ago and fitted it to another Mini i have and it is great, do you know anyone who is selling ? paul@iresonmotorsports.com

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Paul, try starting in a new thread rather than on the end of this one.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Right, after 5 years university is finally over. So with lots of free time and no money I dragged the car out of storage. Not looking too worse for wear compared to when it went in but some more 'investigation' with a screwdriver has found some other rust patches I wasn't aware of. I think I'll put two new floorpan sections in to save time and effort. Do the sills need to be removed in order to do this?

Also there's a hole in the O/S wheel arch by the sill, any ideas on the best way to repair that?

The engine build is on hold waiting on figuring out how to refurb a 998 primary gear, the bushes are shot in both the gears I have. is there any company that will do it for a reasonable cost?

In the meantime I acquired a cheap engine, removed all the internals and dropped it into the bay to help with mocking everything up. The aim is to make sure everything non original will fit, and to look at intercooler, radiator and fuel plumbing.

The decision then was to stick with a standard radiator and use a front mount intercooler, or use the cinq radiator and a side mount intercooler. I'm leaning towards the cinq route as it is much cheaper than a good quality mini radiator, provided I can fit it infront of the starter motor. Need to look at the possibility of rotating or modifying the standard starter, or a cheap slimline one if there is such a thing.

The fuel lines look like they will all fit as well, which means I can use the lines I have and don't have to have any custom lines made up.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Doing odd jobs when I can while I wait for the car to be moved to a new location for bodywork and paintwork.

Today this was making a new bezel for the AEM AFR Gauge. The standard plastic one is just a bit naff, so I decided to make one out of aluminium to match my smiths oil pressure gauge.

Not easy as it turns out as I wanted to keep the thread as a means of attachment as I am hoping to get a new fascia printed as well. Very happy with the end result however:

Edited by Mike-998 on 13th Sep, 2016.

Callum

450 Posts
Member #: 10396
Advanced Member Formerly mk2turbo

Stoke-on-Trent

Very nice, fancy making another *happy*

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I did consider doing a couple of them, but it's not the easiest thing to make and I just happened to have a suitable piece of ally lying about.

I'm happy to draw it up in CAD and make the drawing available if people would like it to take to a machine shop and have made up?

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Excellent work Mike.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Well, a new chapter in the build. For the first time in 4 years all of the parts are in the same place! Engine, interior, shell, running gear, all have been moved into a new facility.

This place has power, lights and a ramp lift, so I should be able to get on with the welding required, then I need to decide how to paint the thing!

Enthusiasm is high for a change!!

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I am proper jealous of your new garage, that's a nice outfit.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Well thats just not fair... why cant i borrow the corner of someones garage!

Looks a nice place to work

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

It's a Motor Club on an RAF base, the RAF invests a lot of money in keeping it's employees happy on their time off. The club is open to the public but there's a nice discount to membership for being in the reserves!

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

I was looking at the picture below.
I regret to having used a kit that was available for 50 GBP few years ago. That was a kind of frame with an additional bearing that was holding the out shaft against the gearbox case just in front of the shaft. Do you see what I mean ? That was a great thing as it'd allow to go much past 100hp with no dangera to break the out gearbox bearing. I'm limiting my 998 at 0.8bar because I'm afraid to damage the gearbox.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

On 7th Nov, 2016 alpa said:
I was looking at the picture below.
I regret to having used a kit that was available for 50 GBP few years ago. That was a kind of frame with an additional bearing that was holding the out shaft against the gearbox case just in front of the shaft. Do you see what I mean ? That was a great thing as it'd allow to go much past 100hp with no dangera to break the out gearbox bearing. I'm limiting my 998 at 0.8bar because I'm afraid to damage the gearbox.

That's interesting, from reading on here I haven't heard of anyone having too much of an issue at the ~100 mark with a standard gearbox. I guess we will see when I finally get it together! I'm planning on running 1 bar in this with water injection.

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

On 7th Nov, 2016 Mike-998 said:

That's interesting, from reading on here I haven't heard of anyone having too much of an issue at the ~100 mark with a standard gearbox. I guess we will see when I finally get it together! I'm planning on running 1 bar in this with water injection.

Well the gearbox is clearly not the strong point and particulary the output bearing is not up to the task.

About water: I have not been on this forum for years so I don't know what's the current concensus about max boost, knock resistance etc. But from my experience with my turbo 998 and my other turbo engines I think water is useless with only 1 bar on this engine. For several reasons.
- the engine's VE is low, so 1bar on A-series is like running 0.7-0.8 on a modern engine. Which is +/- nothing. Modern EFI turbo race engines run 12-14:1 CR without VVT and up to 2-2.5 bar boost. This shows a huge margin that exists in our engines.
- the entire engine is cast iron, very knock resistant. Cast has a great capability to accumulate a lot of heat before releasing it to water, while alu just locally melts down
- 998 has oil piston sprayers, this helps a lot
- bath-tub chambers are mainly located inside pistons, with forged pistons a very knock-resistant engine can be built (not sure you've got them, did not check)
- knock resistance can be greatly improved with a carefull work on cooling: water flow distribution inside the block, between head/block, good water front radiator. Increasing water pressure to say 1.2bar or 1.6bar (expansion tanks from VW) can greatly improve cooling of the block (this gives heat accumulation capability)
- knock resistance is better with digital ignition (matter of precision), and if possible injection (inner-outer cyl balance)

I'm quite sure an A-series engine would work fine at 1.6bar without water inj if properly made: cooling, forged modern pistons (light, thin rings), digital management, good I/C.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I think with my humble power output the gearbox should be ok, looking at other peoples builds with much more power.

That's interesting, I plan to monitor the charge temps at 0.8bar, and go from there.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Progress wise, a few weeks ago I was asked if I had anything suitable for a staff display at a University event, I said sure, I could have an engine to display. What followed was a few weeks of decent progress!

First was completing the alternator arrangement, consisting of turning two ally spacers and making a steel adjustment bracket.

Then tidied up my heatshield to make it more presentable, went from old fibreglass material to proper gold stuff.

Then a coilpack bracket was made up to sit on the transfercase, and captive nuts made to make it easy to fit and remove.

This was the result, with the engine and gearbox together, and the cylinder head, induction and exhaust separate. There might be some professional photos to come but these are the phone ones for now:

All that remains is to shim the diff, fit some new pot joint bushes, get the primary gear bushes fitted and assemble the flywheel end, fit the cylinder head and valve gear and then it should run! Just need a car to put it in now...

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

Only just read this, like the changes to the AEM bezel, should look much more at home!

It's on my list to somehow get a classic smiths looking wideband gauge, think it's peaked the interest of my electronics nerd mate so hopefully I'll have something soon too.

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I received some official photos from the exhibition taken by someone with a proper camera, rather than just an iPhone:

I have also made the decision to forgo the cinq radiator in the interest of finishing this year. this means a simple front mount corrado intercooler with a bit of ducting.

I will also not be running a heater (may either buy an electric one or 'T' in at a later date) so I am using the heater take-off as the turbo water feed and will be returning to the top hose.

Fuel plumbing is mostly finished, will be using a Rover fuel filter (WJN101192) as it allows me to use threaded AN adapters, in keeping with the rest of the system. Need to get the MPI tank in and pressure test my flared hardlines.

Will be getting (possibly making) a breather tank to collect from the transfer case and tappet covers, and return to the turbo inlet hose.

Slowly working through the list of jobs, after all the plumbing is done there's a long list of bodywork as well...

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I've bitten the bullet and started on my least favorite job - trying to wire everything up. Nothing spectacular or goundbreaking but I've tried to neaten everything up. All relays and fuses have been moved to the glove box along with the Megajolt and EDIS. I have included provisions for extra relays and have left fuse slots open with a +ve feed in one side to allow expansion further down the line.

The changes/additions so far are the Megajolt, MPI tank, and a linked high-boost system. This'll use the option switch on the MJ to swap to a high boost map and activate a bleed valve solenoid. I'll have the water injection set to activate at a boost level above the low boost value, so it only operates on the high boost setting.

Also to allow me to keep the AN/JIC style fittings throughout the engine bay I've made a water take-off for the cylinder head that'll feed water to the turbo through a -6 adapter, and return to the top hose, providing a bypass as well when the thermostat is closed. essentially similar to the DSN one (I hope I'm not infringing any design rights *hehe!*). A bit of CAD and a day on the mill and this is the result:

I've also finished of the dashboard, with a new chrome bezel for the boost gauge.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Five months have passed and there's not a lot to show for it! Slow progress due to a new job and now being further from the workshop but there has been some progress.

I managed to finish the majority of the wiring loom yesterday. It has been quite an in-depth task but I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. Everything is much neater and anything unnecessary has been completely cut out. All fuses and relays are behind the dash and I've tried to make sure it'll be as hidden as possible. Plugged a battery in for the first time yesterday and there was signs of life! Lights etc all working, will have to wait to see if the Megajolt is functioning as it's just a dummy engine.

As well as this I've finished the turbo water plumbing. I've got it arranged so that it essentially replaces the heater matrix, except returning to the top hose. Though I may put the heater matrix in line if i find that I need it for de-misting etc, or I may buy an electric one.

Boot fuel plumbing (filter may be in here rather than under the boot)

Water lines for the turbo:

The next jobs will be to finalise the intercooler plumbing and mounting, vacuum line routing, and fuel filter location. Then i'll be getting custom breather and washer tanks made up to fit nicely beside the brake master cylinder. Then it'll be bodywork and paint!

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 Turbo Build - Slow Progress
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: