Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 Turbo Build - Slow Progress

Doodmeister

485 Posts
Member #: 149

Alberta, Canada

Keep up the great work Mike.. Liking the little engineering touches. *smiley*

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Looking great, its going to be a lot of fun to drive.

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

So I've decided to use the Avon Park event as a bit of a deadline, lots to do!

The wiring loom is all finished, and been removed for wrapping.

Finalised the intercooler placement, fabricated some backets to mount it in place, just need to weld them in.

Will be tight to meet Avon, I don't know if it'll be painted but it should be running at least!

Progress (and funds) have slowed due to a new purchase, which is proving a lot of fun!

Edited by Mike-998 on 30th Jul, 2017.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I've been busy on the car but not so busy updating this it seems..

Several things have been ticked off the to-do list:

Intercooler mounting complete, bolts to the underside of the slam panel with a locating hole on the underside. Waiting for one more silicon hose then I can finish the pipework. I've also fitted the Vacuum/boost lines.

I've had to weld in some plates to push the bulkhead back a few inches as it was interfering with the heatshield for the carb. Now the heatshield is only interfering with the outlet from the turbo, so some more modification required there.

All that means I've managed to get the air filter sorted plus the final routing of the fuel lines in the engine bay and from the tank in the boot through a Rover fuel filter.

I've bent up some sheet ally to make a custom breather can that will sit in the corner of the engine bay, hopefully getting it welded up at work and anodised black along with some of the other ally bits I've machined.

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Hey Mike,

What intercooler are you using?

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Mike-998

882 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

A long time since the last update but unfortunately not a lot of progress. I finished the dry build in 2018 and started on the bodywork, only to find far more rust than I expected. Working out of an unlit lock-up with no power I had no chance of doing a good job of it so it has sat until last year when I bought a house with a garage.

I couldn't resist re-doing the garage first, so the walls and ceilings got a coat of white, and I primed, screed and epoxy coated the floor (Bostik ultra strong self-levelling, and Florock Epoxy). I've also added LED tube lights, power sockets, and air line points at the front and back.

With that done I could move in, finish stripping the car, and built a spit to be able to get at the underside.

I've no picture's of 'before' but this is what the opposite side looks like.

On the side I've been working on I've replaced the passenger footwell and a couple of patches on the inner sill, then welded a new outer sill on. I've had a go a reinforcing the shell alignment nuts, to the door panel at the front and the heel board at the back, in an attempt to create some reliable jacking points.

Up to this week I've been aligning the new wing and A panel, but need some new studs for the hinge to mount the door up before I weld it all in place. Non-heritage panels have required a bit of work with the hammer but I'm happy with the result so far I think.

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Floor looks great. Kudos for doing the work in a single garage. I remember the pain well!

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998 Turbo Build - Slow Progress
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: