Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Big Bore Supercharged Estate

Tupers

324 Posts
Member #: 9441

South Devon

On 5th Jan, 2014 gr4h4m said:
Nice seats!

Those bits should make a nice engine!

They are indeed lovely seats, I've had 3 people try and buy the seats off me across various forums since I posted them. *hehe!* I'm trying to decide between +060" or 73.5MM pistons at the moment. The idea of a 1426 lump is appealing.

We scrapped an old Rover Metro at work before christmas so I nabbed the seat sliders from it and narrowed them to fit my new seats.

After doing a trial fit with the sliders on I decided the seat was to high on the crossmember so I did away with it and I'll be making separate sided ones from tube.

With the crossmember out I got the seats sat in. They suit the space very well and should allow plenty of room for a centre console.

Rear leg room is looking good as well.

Mirrors have been on my mind for a while and over the last few months I've been looking out for something interesting to use. I think I've narrowed it down to the two types bellow.

I quite like these wing mounted ones but they are quite large and I need to get the car on the ground to check visibility.

These ones are quite smart as well, not quite as '70s looking at the others but should be easier to see out of.

I also found an old grill that I might use the slats from for this.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

that shell looks nice with out the seams but keeping the gutter is nice

not sure on the mirror placement tho *hehe!*

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

The roof gutter is definitely going to stay. I've always thought that Minis look bald without them.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I didn't have much time to work on this evening but I thought I'd give mounting the seat sliders a go. I found some M8 threaded inserts on ebay to weld into the lower frame on the seats.

I had to drill out the original holes in the seats to 12MM and tacked the inserts on.

They all bolted up nicely with four M8 cap head bolts and slid nicely.

They look nice and tidy with the seat the right way up. Now I just need to do the other side.

dev 11

538 Posts
Member #: 9393
Use the search function before buying stuff from me...

stoke on trent

Seats look great

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

On 30th Jan, 2014 dev 11 said:
Seats look great

I think they might be the nicest looking set of reclining seats I've seen for a Mini. Cobra Le Mans are a close second but the last set I was took a drive in weren't at all comfortable.

I got the threaded inserts welded into the other seat this afternoon, no pictures though as it's just the same as the previous one.

I need to get the pedal box mounted in the car before I can do the final fit of the seats so I started measuring it up and making patterns.

I cut them out of 4MM steel plate but that's all for today.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

Today's job was to get the engine bay crossmember completed starting with cutting out holes for the engine steady perches to sit in.

Then I knocked up a pair of cups to hold the bushes.

I sat the crossmember back in so I could tack the cup in place.

After that it was time to weld the whole lot together.

I also added a pair of gussets around on the back of each cup to save anything from moving.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I smoothed the welds on the crossmember of this evening and rounded the steady bar perches in. It still needs some hand finishing but it's looking good.

Dutchy1978

73 Posts
Member #: 10315
Advanced Member

Very nice build thread. I too have a supercharged mini but not happy with my set up so looking to do something similar to yours. Blow through instead if suck through. Also enables me to add a cooler and to get the injectors closer to the head.
Great job so far. Do you have any updates on the engine and supercharger?

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

Well I'm back and I've finally solved my belt issues with a Peugeot 106 idler pulley and tensioning pulley. This should be easier to adjust than the other system I had and it looks much tidier.

I'm going to need a pretty long belt but I've got plenty of contact on all of the pulleys so it should work nicely.

Alex

690 Posts
Member #: 1851
Post Whore

Woolavington, Zummerzet

Now that you've solved your belt setup, did you not consider an electric waterpump ?

Still looking mighty good !

Metric is for people who can't do fractions.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

On 7th May, 2014 Alex said:
Now that you've solved your belt setup, did you not consider an electric waterpump ?

Still looking mighty good !

I did consider it after seeing Evoderby's instal but I don't want to crowd the engine bay too much.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

looking nice.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

looking good, nice to see an update!

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

Thanks guys, it's nice to be back on it.

I forgot to go and buy a belt at lunch so I decided to spend this evening making the tabs to mount my seats from. They're pretty simple 3MM steel with 30MM slotted holes to help get the seats centred in the car.

They'll be welded onto sections of 30MM box running from the inner sill to exhaust tunnel. (I finally found a use for lime flavoured Starburst)

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

The other 4 mounting tabs are done now so the seat mounting bars can go in soon.

The pedal box also need mounting so I took the air saw to the bulkhead and made some more clearance.

I knocked up a new lower dash rail from some 32MM tube with 3MM spreader plates on each end.

After a lot of measuring and repositioning I've got the pedal box to where it's comfortable. Now I just need to measure everything and figure out the mounts.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I've been making a few bits to mount the pedal box but nothing note worthy yet so until later here's a picture of the estate back on it's wheels.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I'm still yoyoing between mount the pedal and mounting the seats. This evening it was the seats turn.

I had made a set of bars between the inner sill and tunnel but they sat too low so I've gone with two tubes that are the full width of the car and notch around the exhaust tunnel.

I need to tack the mounting tabs onto the other side and straighten everything up but it works.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I took a little time to bolt my drives seat up just too make sure everything lined up.

Thankfully it all sits very nicely. I'm thinking I might be able to get a decent sized speaker under each seat as well.

Once I was happy with everything I got the other mounting tabs tacked on and then went over the whole lot with some nice wide welds.

I also linishing down to allow the seat sliders to sit flat.

The bars are both back in the car now and ready to be welded in then it's back onto mounting the pedal box.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

So the seats bars are tack welded into the car and the seat are mounted. I must say it's very comfortable and luckily there's still plenty of clearance to the rear seats when they folded up.

I've reassembled the gear shifter so that I can figure out the internal gear linkage.

As the shifter will be higher and further back than standard I'm fitting a universal joint at each end of linkage. The shifter side of the linkage is tapped with a 1/2" UNF left hand thread and the engine side has a 1/2" UNF right hard thread to act as a turnbuckle for fine adjustment.

There's not much more to do on the gear linkage yet so I sorted the majority of the pedal box mount instead.

It still needs a few gussets and a bit of tinkering but for the most parts is done.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

what are you going to use for engine fixing? i guess that it all has to be solid mounted if you no longer use the second bar on the linkage?

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Doesn't have to be solid, just secure and not flopping all over the place..

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

On 1st Jun, 2014 Rammie2000 said:
what are you going to use for engine fixing? i guess that it all has to be solid mounted if you no longer use the second bar on the linkage?

As Salter said it doesn't have to be solidly mounted just firmly enough that it wont wobble to much under load.

So I've now pulled the mock up engine out and swapped the empty gearbox case for a full working gearbox to get the remote linkage set-up.

I also got my engine steadies bolted back up and tack welded the crossmember in.

You can just about see the 2nd bush on the inside of the cross member here.

I do like how these steadies sit.

I found a use for the old record tube vice that I picked up for a couple quid recently and tapped the R/H thread onto the other end of my gear selector rod.

And welded a 3/4" nut onto the rod as it will essentially be a turnbuckle.

The selector mechanism has been moved back by around 6" to better suit the new seat position and the linkage is fitted up again. Now I just need to adjust it up and welded the selector mechanism bracket in .

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

After removing the original seat cross-member and fitting the gear selector internally it became apparent I need to to shuffle the handbrake around.
I decided the simplest option was to copy the original mountings but slightly redesign them to mount the handbrake an inch higher.

It now sits around 10CM further back and is nice and high behind the gear selector.

I also finally got around the finding a drive belt the right length for the engine.

The latching mechanism for the tailgate has been bugging me so I decided to have another try using an original estate latching mechanism and my own rods.

The handle will lay flat on the inside of the tailgate and the rods will push out into the vertical section of the rear door frame. Now I just need to mount it.

Tupers

324 Posts

South Devon

I made a plate for the latch mech to bolt onto this evening and cut the tailgate frame out to fit it.

It will be flush from the interior side of the tailgate.

And the mech it's self will fit inside the frame.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Big Bore Supercharged Estate
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: