Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Project "Marginal gains..."

Willy_sa

41 Posts
Member #: 10084

Pretoria, South Africa

Top work!

Is the winter past already?

1978 Clubman (soon to be S)
2011 Countryman Cooper

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Member #: 9962
Post Whore

Cheers Willy,

It's permanently winter here compared to SA! But I suspect it will run into being a 'Summer' rebuild as well

Last time I was in SA I was at Kyalami and burnt the skin off my nose in about 5 minutes!

Cheers

Miniac

104 Posts
Member #: 10210
Advanced Member

Durban, South Africa

Loving this build thread, your attention to detail is astronomical and I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck with the build.

Life is always a matter of opinion and quite frankly, no ones opinion really matters.

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

Cheers mate

Will be quiet for about a week or so with other stuff but hope to have the rear subframe mounts and the front lateral tube done by then

Cheers

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

It's been a while...

The subframe is becoming a little frustrating but returning the subframe to the jig each time a change is made is the correct way to go but is adding to the time considerably

Nothing revolutionary as far as normal weight saving attempts but just doing what I can...

So I am just trying to get some stuff done which shouldn't be effected by any changes to the subframe

It's dawning on me how much of a weight penalty the front suspension is not only over standard Mini stuff but the complete lack of options to try and save any weight, as far as I am aware all of the off the shelf aluminium caliper options require 14" wheels which easily undoes any weight which might have been saved.

So what was a token weight saving exercise in removing any unused bosses from the front suspension knuckles has turned into a bit of a fettling marathon, but they look priddy

Theres a combination of ABS sensor, stone guard and machine location bosses which have been liberated

Unusually I have also fettled the other knuckle, as I normally get bored after doing one and having to repeat the same on another part

As well as using these OEM knuckles etc I have been trying to track down OEM CV's so I can start with new known quantity parts, so I was chuffed to track down some GKN Hardy Spicer CV's:

I had hoped to get Brembo discs as good OEM replacement parts but all the places advertising stock didn't actually have any, so I was happy to take TRW discs which whilst representing 3 times the cost over normal replacement discs it's money well spent I think:

And the hand brake lever was lying around so it got some fettling, again a token gesture but with an XE and all the other added weight every bit helps:

New recon calipers hopefully complete a full house for the front knuckle assemblies:

And the accelerator pedal:

Cheers

Edited by Aubrey_Boy on 7th Jul, 2017.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

cmon...

you can do better than that!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Willy_sa

41 Posts
Member #: 10084

Pretoria, South Africa

Looks great!

1978 Clubman (soon to be S)
2011 Countryman Cooper

Miniac

104 Posts
Member #: 10210
Advanced Member

Durban, South Africa

Looking good as always, love the detail on the handbrake lever.

Life is always a matter of opinion and quite frankly, no ones opinion really matters.

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

Thanks again for the comments

JoeC,

I might try a few static tests to check it first *happy*

TBH honest in restrospect I would leave the throttle pedal standard for the reduction in weight as I don't want the car to look as though anything has been made lightweight or modified, just "a normal Mini with a K&N, RC40 and wider rims" - that's the plan anyway

Cheers

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

The steering rack is hopefully positioned on the subframe now so I need to sort out pedal box / seat and steering column position - hence needing to get the steering adapter sorted despite the car being nowhere near finished yet...

My 15" "Driving Miss Daisy" steering wheel with an adapter and QR:

Not sure carbon and Motolita are a good match but it's lightish and cheap especially compared to the billet ally offerings...

I might change the outer bolts to silver

All secured with some M5 K Nuts:

And the other wheel if it's too big

I am using the same QR on the Mini and my Midget so I can switch / change between whichever is more suitable

Cheers

Edited by Aubrey_Boy on 17th Oct, 2017.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

the pics no workie.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

The new (now enforced) Photobucket 'facelift' seems to be a nightmare, tried several times to upload pictures, hopefully picture links should now work

Richspec

552 Posts
Member #: 300
Post Whore

Cumbria

Lovely subframe. The AMT frames have four mounts and are rock solid.
http://mini-performance.co.uk/Images/Red%2...rameBuildup.JPG

Rich

On 15th Feb, 2013 Aubrey_Boy said:
The subframe itself has progressed a bit, still not finished but time to fit to the car and check clearances again

The Currently has 3 mounts but I am trying to decide if / where to put a fourth anti rotation mount

Cheers

Here for the craic..

Supercharged Arden powered

shellspeed

580 Posts
Member #: 9580
Post Whore

Surrey

Old school meets New school, I likey! *Clapping*

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

excellent work *Clapping* *smiley*

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

Thanks for the comments

Rich,

Thanks, Looks like a nice car, Is that your subframe, is it still out of the car... just out of interest any idea how much it weighs bare *happy*

I think I will change the thread title as it isn't very meaninful anymore

Cheers

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Do mini calipers not fit onto the hubs?

Lewis blackburn on his metro mk1 got 7.5 calipers on it so he could run 10's

but brillant build looking good alot of engineering gone into that

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

Hi Chalkie,

No the Mini calipers are a different mounting hole centre width compared to Rover 100 / Metro calipers.

Hopefully, barring any cockups the subframe is essentially done, I will mock up the steering rack height (to check bump steer) with some brackets I have, so this will still need to be added and also once I am absolutely certain everything is in the right place I want to try and add gussets from the front lower wishbone forward point back to the rear lateral tube...

A general view of the frame:

It now has a front lower lateral tube to help tie the two engine mounts together and provide rad supports etc

As usual the front lateral tube is removable, I have used shoulder bolts to mount the tube as these provide dowel location instead of just relying bolt tension and the friction between the two surfaces

They are more commonly used for jigs and fixtures on surface tables

It also means a larger diameter is in shear, I originally intended to use male / female cones to give positive location for the tube but this seemed simpler.

The threaded bucket bushes for these have been rose welded as well and extend into the tube about 30mm.

I have added an additional centre subframe mount from the rear lateral tube back to the toeboard as this was helping the toe stiffness of the frame by reducing the deflection of this tube

It also means the weight held by the rear centre engine mount doesn't just bounce on this lateral tube

I tried to get it as close to the point where the tunnel joins the toeboard as being the stiffest part of the toe board

The inside of the toeboard has been plated as well to help spread the load

This shows the metalasic front engine mounts, they may be too stiff but hopefully combining these with a conventional rear engine rubber mount it will be OK...

Lower wishbone mounts are now finish welded:

And this is the half of the rear engine mount which bolts to the gearbox

It will get a few swaged holes put in it once I have decided if the gear selector mechanism will mount off it or not. These are again made in 3mm S514 steel

Drive flanges have been spared a few more grammes on the lathe, the area near where the wheel bearing gets its lateral support has been removed, the angled area which has the turned finish, but careful not to undercut the existing corner radii.

These now need to be sent off for milling to try and get a little more weight of them

The steering arms are quite a bit longer (and heavier) than Mini so have also had a few token grammes removed, 'lightened' shown compared to standard

Cheers

Edited by Aubrey_Boy on 3rd Dec, 2014.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looking out of the window, I'd say winter rebuild is still appropriate.

That frame looks cracking.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

evad1980

1142 Posts
Member #: 10165
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

You don't do things my half measures!!

Excellent work!!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

very nice..

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jakejakejake1

293 Posts
Member #: 10010

Northants

Excellent work, looks fantastic

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

That frame is gorgeous. Good work!

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Post Whore

Thanks very much for the comments

Just trying it in the car again to look at steering rack position and clearances and then hopefully cut some old suspension arms up to mock up the new wishbones

And yes still very much a 'Winter' rebuild when you have to clear the snow drift in order to get the garage door open...

Cheers

Richspec

552 Posts
Member #: 300
Post Whore

Cumbria

Yep, its my subframe, its the amt race frame, 1 of 4 that i've know of or have seen. The cars fully built up and no sorry, no idea on weight, i never thought of weighing it at the time.!

On 22nd Mar, 2013 Aubrey_Boy said:
Thanks for the comments

Rich,

Thanks, Looks like a nice car, Is that your subframe, is it still out of the car... just out of interest any idea how much it weighs bare *happy*

I think I will change the thread title as it isn't very meaninful anymore

Cheers

Here for the craic..

Supercharged Arden powered

Home > Show Us Yours! > Project "Marginal gains..."
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: