Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > CNC Conversion

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm thinking about converting my mill/lathe to CNC control.

I's a Chester Centurion 500:

(This was when it was new, it's had a bit of use now)

We've more or less got it sussed:
Carriage - 20mm ball screw and NEMA 34 Motor
Cross-slide - 16mm ball screw and NEMA 23 motor
Z- Axis - Nema 23 motor on fine feed.

We shall be using a rotating table and chuck as a 4th axis.

Biggest problem is that we need the machine to make the adapting parts, but obviously the machine will be in bits *oh well*

Anyone ever tried this or had any experience?

Edited by Paul S on 16th Jun, 2012.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Microw Engineering Ltd - Precision Engineers
52a Tresham Street
Kettering
Northamptonshire
NN16 8RT
Telephone: 01536 519 801
Fax: 01536 519 801

Ask for Allen Rowe he'll be able to help you out with the conversion plates and stuff :) Tell Him Stephen gave you the contact details

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

I picked up some american magazines called digital machinist Paul, they did a feature on cnc conversion using mach3 in season 2 mags 1-5 i think (have not unpacked them yet) its really good reading also i think theres a site called my cnc or something theres a fair few threads on conversions again good reading.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looks like good fun.

A chap on 16v mini club is doing something similar

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthre...4&highlight=cnc

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks guys.

I think that we have devised a plan that will allow us to make step upgrades whilst keeping the machine in use. There may be some "hand" fabrication at times but that's no big deal.

First of all, I took the machine to bits to understand how it all worked and sort out the backlash that was getting rather excessive.

Find out how to close up the clearance on the slides, but there is no backlash adjustment on the cross-slide nut :( However that will be replaced with a ballnut.

We'll do it bit by bit, so firstly I'll order the stuff to do the cross-slide.

Edited by Paul S on 16th Jun, 2012.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 16th Jun, 2012 wolfie said:
I picked up some american magazines called digital machinist Paul, they did a feature on cnc conversion using mach3 in season 2 mags 1-5 i think (have not unpacked them yet) its really good reading also i think theres a site called my cnc or something theres a fair few threads on conversions again good reading.

There is a wealth of information on the web.

Mach 3 is good because it does the work of a controller. It saves considerable expense.

Lots of good suppliers as well:

http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/

http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Lots of forums as well.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Backlash is annoying even with elimintators on the machines there is still a small amount of backlash but doult its like the ones we had in college about 6 - 8 mm of moment on the milling machines :(

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I should be able to get the backlash down to 0.05mm, that's fine for the sort of stuff that I'll be doing.

I've gone for a 16mm ballscrew on the cross slide (it is 20mm acme leadscrew at the moment). Thinking about using 16mm on the carriage travel as well because it will save a lot of money. It's all to do with whip rather than load. Over just 700mm the 16mm ballscrew should be fine.

But then I'm probably cutting corners :~

Sam

1391 Posts
Member #: 1686
Post Whore

Oxford

Is there a reason why you couldnt machine a coupling to fit the stepper motors directly to where the handles are currently?

On 19th Feb, 2011 Miniwilliams said:
OMG Robert that's a big one

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Too much backlash. You need to eliminate backlash if you wish to cut a perfect circle with an end mill.

These ballscrews minimise and can even eliminate backlash. Then you can drive the tables to move the workpiece in a perfect circle.

Sam

1391 Posts
Post Whore

Oxford

Ah, of course. Essentially in this case how much you need to the ballscrew before the machine will move in an axis?

After seeing this thread earlier i went and found a copy of Mach3 in the net. Bit naughty, but never mind. It has backlash compensation.

You should near enough be able to zero out backlash. If you decide to use Mach3.

On 16th Jun, 2012 Paul S said:
Too much backlash. You need to eliminate backlash if you wish to cut a perfect circle with an end mill.

These ballscrews minimise and can even eliminate backlash. Then you can drive the tables to move the workpiece in a perfect circle.

Edited by Sam on 16th Jun, 2012.

pinkyandnobrain

720 Posts
Member #: 2588
Post Whore

Pretoria South Africa

A mate of mine is cnc-ing his mini mill. He found a guy in the states that made a conversion kit for his machine.
Had a look at the bits the other eve, looks good and nicely machined.

"So wat we gonna do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do evernight Pinky!"
"Try to take over the world!"

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Yeah, some of the popular mills x2, x3, etc all have cnc conversion kits. Lots of manufacturers rebrand these machines and they are easily available in the UK. You can also buy one that's already been converted by Syil although the support isn't great.

We will be using Mach3 and I've got all the electronics side of things sorted.

Fortunately I work in education so have access to CAD/CAM software and should be able to get some heavily discounted :)

Sam

1391 Posts
Post Whore

Oxford

Ideal then.

What do you plan on using for converting from model to gcode?

In terms of electronics what do you use to control the spindle?

Ive got my head around axis stepper motors and how they interface with the driver, power supply and break out board. Well the cheap ones im looking at anyway.

All the breakout boards have only had a relay to control the spindle? What about speed and direction?

Edited by Sam on 17th Jun, 2012.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

That's a few steps further on. For now we are just going to use manual spindle control. Set the speed with the pulleys, turn it on forward and leave it running :)

For the future we are thinking about using a VSD and toothed belt/single pulleys. Some of the breakout boards have a 0-10v signal for spindle speed and a forward/reverse digital signal.

This is the braekout board we are planning on using:

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_in...&products_id=46

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

As the old boy says, C11G for the breakout board, kl-5056 for the drivers and nema 23's for the steppers.

Lots of people normally use a 34 on the z axis but as we are only moving the spindle rather than the whole assembly this isn't required.

Model to Gcode I'm currently looking at solidcam but will see if I can trial other products.

wez

1226 Posts
Member #: 9271
Post Whore

Stoke on Trent

good luck with your conversion. i take this sort of thing for granted with where i work. but to have your own small set up at home would be pretty neat.
you'll be able make your own inlet manifold injection bosses. it'll take a few ops but no need for a super m/c to do them on.

one day boost will be mine!

On 10th Mar, 2012 Joe C said:
TBH peple stick it everywhere... and theres merits to each...

pinkyandnobrain

720 Posts
Member #: 2588
Post Whore

Pretoria South Africa

Have a look at MasterCam and EdgeCam. I used EdgeCam at work, didnt take too long to workout how to use it. The tough part was learning the feeds and speeds that you can use on certain cutters and your specific machine.

"So wat we gonna do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do evernight Pinky!"
"Try to take over the world!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Components for the cross-slide conversion:

Should be able to fit this quite easily. Need to make up some end supports first, make a sleeve for the ball-nut, then take the machine apart to fit the ball nut and all the above.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

All looks pretty fun Paul 0.05mm isn't massive amounts :) not like your working to stupid tolarences

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've made a little progress:

Ball screws on the X & Y axis. Stepper motors on X,Y & Z axis. I'm using double ended motors so that I can still use the lathe/mill in manual mode if I want to just do something simple.

Next step is to wire up all the lectronics.

Edited by Paul S on 25th Aug, 2012.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Looks simple yet complicated.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

first test is going to be very exciting i reckon !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

On 25th Aug, 2012 robert said:
first test is going to be very exciting i reckon !

Do you have body armour? Just in case... *wink*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Emergency stop is on order :)

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > CNC Conversion
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: