Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Track, Drag & Race > avon 2012

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well ,after the non event which was bmc'd to death, i thought i'd pop up to avon on sunday last, for a bit of rwyb action .
with me were veronica, in customary support role ,and my friend jason with his ultra ultra light caterham 7 running a 1.6 k series engine ,about 468kg of aluminium toffee wrapper !

sunday dawned bright and clear ,and we hoicked everything into the stealth stingray (mk111 astra estate),and headed off to chipping norton services to meet the scalpel (cat7)and mr flat cap .

got to avon after the usual white van doing 43 all the way up the stratford rd ,apart from a couple of blasts just to create fun .
track was fairly full ,but looked relaxed and all fine , so decided it was on for a bit of 25 quid nosity and went to scruteneering for a check up ,wash and a shave ,all went ok and off for a first run .

now ,jason has only run at prescott and brighton ,,and best 1/4 was a 14 something ,so he was a bit taken aback by his first run being a 13.8 ! grip was in a whole other realm to him ,especially on 48's and a lsd ,i think he did a 2.0 60 ft every time he ran ......NOICE !!

my run on the other hand ,er not so good ..
first run 10: 18 in the morning would you believe, reasonable launch 2.37 60ft ,then flat flat flat as a board..... humph ! about 8 psi max garnered a anti climactic 14.5 @96,57 very rich at 11:1..UGH .

so i thought hmm maybe my bled valve was not set ..so next run , massive wheelspin off line 2.56 60 ft ,and another ironing bord run 14.6@96.91. umph !

back to the pits for a look , supecting the bleed valve thingy , i ripped out the pipe through the bulkhead and all stuff like that , and blew it alll through , so it seemed better ,blatted down the road ,nope still 8 psi .

then thought hmm ,big boost leak maybe , so checked hoses , yup ,the one on the plenum had eased off so it looked on ,but was squeaking open on boost ,re clipped that ,and instant 25psi on test ,much better .so off for another run ...

......after a bit of a siesta and scoff of course , it is sunday after all ,and also there seemed to be a rash of numpties oiling up the track and having a bit of a party out there !

so ,stuffed with chorizo and honey sandwiches ,off we go for a new blattfest ,and jason and i manage to be side by side in the burn out zone ,sniggering like little girls ( as usual whenever i have a race with someone i know and can abuse) ..

only thing is ,he's now got up to 13.6 @100 and i don't know if i have anything better or will the pipe burst itself all over my engine again !!!???

so into stage ,long one wheeled burn out ,and up to the lights trying to focus on all the things i have to do on the run ..

lights change revs at 4k ,off we go!!!

seemed to grip ok ,the 7 shoots out of the hole like one of those toy balsa wood gliders with a big rubber band on it and i play catch up ... into 2nd gear we gp flick onto high boost ,although i have no idea what boost this actually is ,and the devil possesses my car !! instant massive wheelsipn and flailing about like a mad swordfish in that australian fishing program !! just have time to steer and pull out the choke before its time for third .

now this is where i got a big suprise ,as the devil had obviously been warming up for the main event ..

collosal huge drifting wheelspin to the extent that the car was pointing about 15 degrees out of true as i countersteered and kept it floored ,veering across the track like a caterham hating red kneck intent on destryoying that limey faggot contraption once and for all god dammit !!!

this continued for all of third gear ,and it only calmed down once in 4th ,where i looked at the mix to see 11:1 and pushed the choke in JUST A BIT and instant 13.7:1 and pop ,off came the boost hose .BLAST AND DAMMIT !!!

luckily i had rocketed past jason during this fun ,and felt happy even with no boost .

so back to the pits to get my hose on (so to speak) and v came back with the times ,

she said ...''did that feel fast ?''

''quite'' i said (being british)

sTUFF MY OLD BOOTS ( i thought) as i read ..

2.289 60ft
5.905 330ft
8.716 660ft
88.65 mph
11.04 990 ft

13.133 1/4m
109.76 mph

so that was a new pb !!! noice!!

put hose on ,went out for another run ,blew hose off at 2nd gear .pooh ,end of fun time for home .

steady drive back ,nice sunny day ,very pleased we went .

pictures and some data logs to follow this evening ...

my best possible is now a 13.081 s getting there bit by bit .:)

regards
robert

Edited by robert on 2nd Jan, 2013.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

good story. Good time.

Super glue has woked wonders for me in the past.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Fantastic stuff Rob, time for some beading on your pipes perhaps?

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

good story and a good time as well.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Well done. Time for some more grippy rubbers?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

bennyy

2233 Posts
Member #: 9037
Post Whore

Doncaster, yorkshire

Superglue your hoses on too....

Audi s4 b5 - 470bhp & 486ft lbs

On 15th Mar, 2012 wil_h said:

Yes, Carl says he gets requests for rimming all the time

On 30th Apr, 2012 Brett said:
yeah stick the bit in and give it a wobble *wink*

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Great time there Robert!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

cracking story and great result!

shellspeed

580 Posts
Member #: 9580
Post Whore

Surrey

Glad its not just me that has issues when I go to a drag strip - excellent tales

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

always love your write ups mate *happy* well done on the new personal best!!!

looking forward to datalogs :)

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Well done on the time Robert, although I am rather disappointed that you have not yet rigged up a boost pressure actuated choke cable!!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Good write up and well done on the new PB Robert! Shame we all couldn't have gone together would have been fun :) It sounds like you had issues like the rest of us :) Are you heading to MITP?

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Great run and great story Robert,sorry to have missed this! *Clapping*

'Where does the engine go?'

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

oh yes ,some piccies ..

thanks to veronica for traipsing about in the sun in a flourescent press jacket .

Edited by robert on 23rd Jul, 2012.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

Lsd next?

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

boost level over last years 112.4 mph run boost ..

Edited by robert on 1st Aug, 2012.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

Edited by robert on 30th Jul, 2012.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 23rd Jul, 2012 Brett said:
Lsd next?

i think its just way too much money for a couple of days use a year brett , i need to preload the front tyre more i think ,although it was pretty loaded on this run .i definately feel i may have come to the end of the falkens life .

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Great write-up and pics Robert.

And what a day ! Congrats on the new PB and not destroying poor ol Spud.

Rich.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

I think you might see 12's on some good tires and a little fettle.. try stop that wheel from spinning up on its own

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

Edited by robert on 30th Jul, 2012.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

oh i forgot to say ,thanks chaps for the positive comments , makes it all worth while . :)

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

little bit of mini action in jasons vid ...

http://youtu.be/YWgRAANlIxs

wintersurferuk

825 Posts
Member #: 2208
Post Whore

Essex

good vid!

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Nice pics Robert. I forgot you were still on Falkens!

I may have some 10" tyres going spare if you can get 10s to fit over your brakes?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Home > Track, Drag & Race > avon 2012
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: