Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > My Car - 18th Nov 2013

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Forgot to add earlier, I've ordered a load of wire, a big connector, some floating nuts and a few other bits and bobs, hopefully meaning I can make the removable front end easier to remove, and at the same time hold it on a bit better. Photos when it all arrives.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

So, I spent an hour in the garage this morning - I wanted to make a mount for the washer bottle (that used to be mounted on the inner wing). My plan was to essentially weld on a tiny tab onto the brace bar, meaning that I don't lose any of the newly gained access after removing the wing.

So, I've only just got a welder - have failed when practicing, so why not have a go on your actual car, right? Ha!

I think I've done a pretty poor job - but, it functions OK, and I'll bolt it back into the car later to see how it all fits.

My welding was terrible - it seemed to be on top of the metal rather than in it - but after grinding it back before smashing a load of paint on it, it did appear to be in both bits of metal - so it'll do.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Because the box section is thicker you needed a bit more power/bit less wire there to get good penetration into the box rather than it sitting on top. But the main thing is that it's attached and it is all good practise.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

It looks like you are moving the welder straight down the join. you need to move it side to side in a sort of z pattern down the join, then you ensure you get proper penetration in both bits. I'm sure it will be fine for for a screen wash bottle though.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Thanks for the tips guys - next time I'll try both tips and hopefully improve. As you guys say - for this application it'll do. :)

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

So, spent a bit more time out in the garage after the end of the Silverstone 6hr. I refitted the subframe brace, fitted a washer bottle bracket I knocked up as a trial (and it'll do until I buy some proper metal to make it out of), I also decided to stick on a new bonnet stay thing, since losing the inner wing meant losing that. I decided to tack it onto the bulkead/wing support bit, as that would mean that the bonnet could be left on with the fibreglass frontend removed.

Oh, and I found out that it has quick release hinges fitted already.. and they are shit. So glad I didn't pay for them - binning them as soon as I order some pins.

Pics below, as always. (Sorry for the blurry/shit photos btw, using a crappy camera in the garage so I don't ruin my proper one).

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Rather than fit ugly external pins, can you not fit a couple of pins to the rear edge, horizontally pointing towards the rear of the car? Then drill 2 corresponding holes in the scuttle panel. So to fit the bonnet you slot these two pins into the holes then push the bonnet backwards so they engage in the holes, then your straps hold it down and back at the front?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

That's a good idea - I had thought of something similar but using something along the lines of the hinges on the bonnet.

I'll sort something out - no mad rush, this bonnet is fubar anyway, so it can wait till I find a replacement.

Rick.SPI

1596 Posts
Member #: 8027
Post Whore

Thrapston, Kettering, Northants NN14

Looking good so far mate.

On 17th Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
I popped my first one out the other day...

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

No photos today, but a good update - Ric came over today and we did the clutch, so the car is now working again. Easy job really, without any issues. Having the removable front made everything easy.

Thanks mate!

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Just a quick snap I took at work today, proving that it does in fact now work despite me taking it apart yesterday.. ha!

Attachments:

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Sure you didn't get a tow there? :p

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Ha ha, who's to say!?

*wink*

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Member #: 9468
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

Looks good man :)

On 10th Mar, 2012 theoneeyedlizard said:

Hypothetically speaking, where would you stick your nozzle?

On 22nd Jun, 2012 apbellamy said:
my wife doesn't know what.head is never mind compression ratio.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Only a small update really, seemingly waiting on money, work and parts to allow me to get on.

Anyway, I've been doing little odds-and-sods on the car.
I fitted floating nuts to the inner wings, to allow the front end to be bolted on easier. I chopped off more of the old wings too, but forgot to take photos.

I also re-fitted the passenger air-vent-hose. I decided not to bother with the driver's side one at the moment, as it lets through enough air already.

I bought a Fibreglass bonnet which I've got one layer of paint on so far, and I've ordered some more paint now I'm happy with the match. (Halfords paint does _not_ match, btw!)

Today, I replaced the engine steady bushes, which were shot.

As I said, nothing major!

Edited by AlexB on 8th Sep, 2012.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

More bits to add to my huge pile of parts - Intercooler and dump valve arrived today (Cheers Oli!)

Attachments:

Craigie-B

1492 Posts
Member #: 9468
Post Whore

Wootton Bassett

sense of deja vu appearing mate? ;P

On 10th Mar, 2012 theoneeyedlizard said:

Hypothetically speaking, where would you stick your nozzle?

On 22nd Jun, 2012 apbellamy said:
my wife doesn't know what.head is never mind compression ratio.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Ha ha, indeed!

pieter

239 Posts
Member #: 7577

belgium

nice

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Paint and Metal arrived today. Ordered enough paint to make a start on re-painting the front end, but forgot to order enough to do the boot lid. Win.

Ordered just a few bits of steel sheet so I can make up some brackets and what-not, again, nothing special.

Hopefully I'll finish the bonnet paint over the new couple of days and then that'll let me know if I should bother to try the rest of the front end or just pay someone who isn't shit.

:)

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

So, not much to update really as I have been on holiday in Devon. I did manage to pick up a set of wheels while we were there though *wink*

Also, a package from Minispares arrived too.

The wheels are just 5x10 Minators, and obviously won't fit over my 8.4" brakes, so I've got a set of 7.5 stuff coming from Paul S which should be here next week.

eden7842

1755 Posts
Member #: 8852
Post Whore

leicestershire

Those wheels will look mint *smiley* what arches are you going to run?

13.95 1/4 mile on a 2.95 fd. Carnt be that hard to beat!

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Might not need to run any with 5" wide rims - we'll see.

AlexB
Site Admin

6264 Posts

Berkshire

Just finished the bonnet's paint. Pretty happy with it really, it's not perfect, but it's better than anything I've painted before, and it'll do.

I'm going to spend some more time on the car later/tomorrow and weld in some plates for the bonnet pins, then work out a way to not fuck the bonnet by drilling the holes for them!

Also, really happy with the colour match - I got the paint from Paints4u.com, and will get more from them when I need it.

Edited by AlexB on 22nd Sep, 2012.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looks good. Nice thumbs up.

On 22nd Sep, 2012 AlexB said:
I'm going to spend some more time on the car later/tomorrow and weld in some plates for the bonnet pins, then work out a way to not fuck the bonnet by drilling the holes for them!

Hole shears.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/produc...0hole%20cutters

You get a good clean hole with no burrs and no heat generated to mess the paint up.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Home > Show Us Yours! > My Car - 18th Nov 2013
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: