Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > My new little project 1969 BSA Starfire

oli79

1713 Posts
Member #: 8480
MS Paint flat cap champion & Morris Ital Lover

From Sheffield now live in York tha noz

May only be of interest to few but this is my next little project, this bike was bought by my dad in the early 70's, it was his first mode of transport for 3 years of so when he was an apprentice.

It eventually died mid/late 70's before I came along in '79 *happy*and he bought a minivan with an austin 1300gt engine in and took the bike to bits to rebuild it, painted the frame and thats how it sat until around the early 90's. At this point one of my cousins, around 16 at the time, who is bike mad, didnt restore anything but re assembled the bike back into a complete lump. It then sat again in the shed until last year.

This is where I stepped in, I have always had a desire to have an small old brit bike, not bothered about plastic bullets, so this with a 60 mph ish top speed was perfect. Although these b25's are not really that sought after, its the only thing my dad has really ever kept and there is an obvious emotional attachment so realising he was never going to get round to it he gave it to me.

So currently the bike is mostly done, I am getting a new set of wheels back from central wheel next week with new stainless rims, spokes and nipples and new tyres and that leaves the tank to paint, side covers to finish and then there is the engine to start on over winter. Hopefully it will be done ready for the good weather next year and then I am going to learn to ride and get my motorized bicycle licence!

Before

Frame and all components were shot blasted and painted all at home, and built a new loom-well loom is a grand title for what is a bunch of 10 wires or so!

Carb bead blasted, rebuilt and existing air filter painted and given a new chrome bit and filter

Front brake plate ready

Stage its at now

Fibre glass side covers were split and cracked, much work fibreglassing and sanding and now onto final filling

Engine to start next!

On 18th Oct, 2013 apbellamy said:
I am feeling particularly BACish today.

On 5th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
What that's crazy, you go commando hahaha! How heavy is your helmet *tongue*?

The Morris Ital assassin!

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

I like that, i have low milage original 74 (i think) 400/4 ready for resto my dad has owned from new

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

oli79

1713 Posts

Just getting into the whole bike thing, so have to admit, as with most things in life, I have no idea what I am really doing, do you have any pics of it? would be interesting to see
ta
oli

On 30th Sep, 2012 wolfie said:
I like that, i have low milage original 74 (i think) 400/4 ready for resto my dad has owned from new

Davo

15 Posts
Member #: 9718

Barnsley

That looks like a good project, will keep an eye on this. I would like to restore my 250 am using as my daily transport in a couple of years.

m1n1man1275

26 Posts
Member #: 10040

Essex

Very nice, looking forward to seeing it finished. I have 3 Honda CB125S's to do at some point too.

Right where do i start!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Nice story, I am sure you will make a nice job of it. What about this rear light we were talking about at MITP?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

oli79

1713 Posts

That reminds me Tom you have PM

On 30th Sep, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
Nice story, I am sure you will make a nice job of it. What about this rear light we were talking about at MITP?

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

that looks great oli good work

Done now needs redoing lol

kenny2

514 Posts
Member #: 5362
Post Whore

wexford in ireland

My dad has had 50 or so bikes over the years, the only one he regretts selling.....his BSA Starfire! It was sold to a collector in the late 80's before I came along, I would love to find it and buy it back for him, I'm in the process of "stealing" and restoring his 1989 Suzuki gs450l

On 5th Jan, 2011 wolfie said:
he floated over to mine for a bit of ring

madonminis

644 Posts
Member #: 9371
Post Whore

East Yorkshire

Very nice mate

BHP sells engines, but Torque wins races!

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

fantasic project and I can understand the sentimental value. My next project when i get the shed built is my dad's old M20

oli79

1713 Posts

This threads better received than I thought, I was in two minds to bother posting as its so OT anyhow,

Thats ace Rob,Im going to suppose with my utlitimate knowledge of fuck all that is a bit older than mine? looks like a pre unit motor? and those carbs look older oh and the seat

please if all the above people or anyone else has older bikes/projects post the pics on my thread-I am always interested to look and learn something

ta

oli

On 1st Oct, 2012 Rob Gavin said:
fantasic project and I can understand the sentimental value. My next project when i get the shed built is my dad's old M20

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I know fuck all as well but the guy I share the workshop with seems to think it will be a simple refurb. Not sure of the exact year but 44 rings a bell. There is a British army plate on it as well

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

Great stuff Ollie, keep us posted buddy

kenny2

514 Posts
Member #: 5362
Post Whore

wexford in ireland

Must get pics of the 2 future resto bikes the Suzuki and there's a honda 50 moped! Old English import,

On 5th Jan, 2011 wolfie said:
he floated over to mine for a bit of ring

Davo

15 Posts
Member #: 9718

Barnsley

Thats the bike I want to restore in a few years. It's my daily tranport at moment. I also have a Triumph Sprint 900 at my dads because I have no room in the garage lol

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

theres my poor 400/4 ,as it was when done ,and as it looks now ,another project on the way one day .last on the rd in 2001.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

oli79

1713 Posts

Looking at those headers and the side pipe, is that Honda turbo'ed?

Edit:sorry forgot this was Robert, even his briggs and stratton lawn mower is turbo charged *Rofl!*

Looks an interesting piece of kit

Edited by oli79 on 9th Oct, 2012.

Adam_R

603 Posts
Member #: 1938
Post Whore

near Dundee

Nice bike Rob
for anyone intrested its a 500cc pre unit
the carb is a Pre-Monobloc Amal

ive just got myself a 1949 BSA C11
I'll post a rebuild thread once work has started

On 1st Oct, 2012 Rob Gavin said:

oli79

1713 Posts

Some progress, shiny new wheels I had the front drum powder coated light grey and painted the back one meself,then sent to central wheels for stainless rims, stainless spokes and stainless nipples, all rebuilt with new modern period looking tires, a snip at £275----each eeep!

Got a few more bits on, number plate holder, seat which I did at the very beginning of the project,rear light unit is on

Rear light unit which was broken repaired and welded underneath by Mr Fenton, now polished, laquered and assembled.

Coming together now

Also got sidecovers nearly ready for top coat and tank rubbed down and a coat of etch on it, making a start on the engine now as well.

Edited by oli79 on 18th Nov, 2012.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Looks like it it coming together quite quickly

Adam_R

603 Posts
Member #: 1938
Post Whore

near Dundee

digging up an old thread! Oli did you finish this?
reason I'm asking, could do with some inspiration for a '67 Barracuda I've just bought ( basically the same but only made in'67)

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Like it. I owned 3 bikes older then me now way better then the new one's. Never had a brit bike though. Ill pop in here and then for a look.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Anthony30

144 Posts
Member #: 10828
Advanced Member

Rainhill, Merseyside.

On 30th Sep, 2012 oli79 said:
May only be of interest to few but this is my next little project, this bike was bought by my dad in the early 70's, it was his first mode of transport for 3 years of so when he was an apprentice.

It eventually died mid/late 70's before I came along in '79 *happy*and he bought a minivan with an austin 1300gt engine in and took the bike to bits to rebuild it, painted the frame and thats how it sat until around the early 90's. At this point one of my cousins, around 16 at the time, who is bike mad, didnt restore anything but re assembled the bike back into a complete lump. It then sat again in the shed until last year.

This is where I stepped in, I have always had a desire to have an small old brit bike, not bothered about plastic bullets, so this with a 60 mph ish top speed was perfect. Although these b25's are not really that sought after, its the only thing my dad has really ever kept and there is an obvious emotional attachment so realising he was never going to get round to it he gave it to me.

So currently the bike is mostly done, I am getting a new set of wheels back from central wheel next week with new stainless rims, spokes and nipples and new tyres and that leaves the tank to paint, side covers to finish and then there is the engine to start on over winter. Hopefully it will be done ready for the good weather next year and then I am going to learn to ride and get my motorized bicycle licence!

Before

Frame and all components were shot blasted and painted all at home, and built a new loom-well loom is a grand title for what is a bunch of 10 wires or so!

Carb bead blasted, rebuilt and existing air filter painted and given a new chrome bit and filter

Front brake plate ready

Stage its at now

Fibre glass side covers were split and cracked, much work fibreglassing and sanding and now onto final filling

Engine to start next!

*Clapping**happy*

On 18th Nov, 2014 D4VE said:
went down to my local hydraulics place and he gave me a suitable replacement larger nipple *smiley*

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Very nice

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > My new little project 1969 BSA Starfire
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password: