Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MAF

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Purely for data logging, not for the fueling equation.....

Not my idea, Graham started this :)

But we now both have some non-genuine Bosch MAFs to experiment with.

This one is mine.

They are large - to get the mass flow we want to measure - so a pain to fit in but we will log the data through Jean's IOx and MS2.

The ones we have chosen are Bosch HMF 5-6.4 so read up to 640kg/hr.

That should be good for logging up to ~240BHP (depending on how you do all the other calcs and the assumptions you make - the idea of this is to remove some of the assumptions).

Just gathering more data really before anyone asks why.....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

if there non gen dont trust there readings in an absolute sence, i fitted a non-genuine one to my old rover 75 and it gave the exact same outputs as a genuine pierburg maf(a common retrofit with an adapter box of tricks). Needless to say this was nowhere near what the genuine bosch one i later purchased was showing for given conditions. guess it dpends on how good your non-gen maf's are though. the one i tried came from Euro car parts. and as a benefit of the doubt i bought another later for another car and had the same issues which were resolved with a genuine bosch sensor. if you can get someone with a flow bench to confirm the absolute readings fair play, but if its just to compare between one known car and an unknown then the absolute readings shouldnt matter

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Good idea. What you need is a mad scientist with a cobbled together flowbench to calibrate it for you.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Depends on the flowbench and how that is calibrated in the first place.

I'm guessing this is just for datalogging rather than fueling control?

Is it a resistance device or will it give a voltage output?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Just for data logging, as per the first line of my post :)

No need for a mad scientist - if there was a need for a mad scientist it would be me.... but we have the calibration curves / data tables for this.

It's basically a Bosch sensor (HFM 5 series) as fitted to thousands of engines that use an MAF.

It's a hot film resistor type rather than the older hot wire types. Gives a 0-5V output for the IOx.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

rod, unless its genuine bosch i wouldnt trust the voltage Vs Airflow curve. To compare before and after modifications would be fine but as an absolute reading i would take it with a pinch of salt unless you can confirm with some calibrated equipment. Hope you dont think im being an arse, just had a few eye opening expereinces. Tbo a manometer, vacuum cleaner and thermometer would get you there lol

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The required level of accuracy depends what you are ging to do with the data. If you are plotting air flow on compressor maps, then I would not get too hung up on it.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 17th Oct, 2012 evolotion said:
rod, unless its genuine bosch i wouldnt trust the voltage Vs Airflow curve. To compare before and after modifications would be fine but as an absolute reading i would take it with a pinch of salt unless you can confirm with some calibrated equipment. Hope you dont think im being an arse, just had a few eye opening expereinces. Tbo a manometer, vacuum cleaner and thermometer would get you there lol

Denis,

Point taken - the Bosch table quotes voltage to four decimal places.... I doubt if eBay are quite so accurate.

Vacuum cleaners, industrial fans, manometers will, however, be the last resort :)

It's really an experiment to try and confirm the other EFi data.

If we get broad correlation, good.

If not we go back and re-consider.

A bit like rolling roads I guess *happy*

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

No worries, like i say i have had three aftermarket maf's now that were so far out of spec the car ran notably worse, were talking +- 100cfm according to live data on the one i had to measure to prove to ECP it wasn't fit for purpose. it was particularly bad tbf the other two the car just didnt feel quite right. looking forward to the results if you share lol Iv always wanted to use an old MAF to measure blowby to see if it could be used to extrapolate cylinder pressure.

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

So, are you trying to verify the AFR from actual air and fuel measurement?

Given that the A-Series does not conform to accepted optimum AFRs, that's a bit idealistic isn't it?

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

be very interesting to know the deviation though! and would also allow for more accurate simulations of a current engine spec.

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 17th Oct, 2012 Paul S said:
So, are you trying to verify the AFR from actual air and fuel measurement?

Given that the A-Series does not conform to accepted optimum AFRs, that's a bit idealistic isn't it?

No, sticking with the widebands for that especially as I have a third one after the turbo for verification, but...

On 17th Oct, 2012 evolotion said:
be very interesting to know the deviation though! and would also allow for more accurate simulations of a current engine spec.

It's the latter bit really....

There has been lots of discussion about what VE and BSFC the A-Series actually runs (a lot of it by yourself Paul).

An accurate measurement of mass air flow is one more tool to answer those questions.

So, contrary to what I said last night Denis, I think I will rig up a venturi/manometer and calibrate it - the calibration curve available in MS2/3 is pretty generic and is taking a fair bit of work to manipulate it to match the supposed curve for this model so I may as well manipulate it to exactly the right curve instead of an expected right one.

I wonder how many kg/hr an average vacuum cleaner can pull..... :)

Edited by Rod S on 18th Oct, 2012.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

I suspect you picked up on my error of the units in my previous post, realised i had it wrong when i woke up this morning (youd think i had better things to think about) cannot remember the actual units off hand but was approx a .5v deviation in the analogue output, so im glad your checking the calibration, you could very easily have good sensors w.r.t the bosch data-sheet but not worth the risk if you want to stand by your results :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 18th Oct, 2012 evolotion said:
I suspect you picked up on my error of the units in my previous post, realised i had it wrong when i woke up this morning (youd think i had better things to think about) cannot remember the actual units off hand but was approx a .5v deviation in the analogue output, so im glad your checking the calibration, you could very easily have good sensors w.r.t the bosch data-sheet but not worth the risk if you want to stand by your results :)

Denis,

The units are the least of my problems :)

It took Jean to tell me I hadn't read the text in the inc file to explain why I wasn't seeing kg/hr.....

Graham has tracked down what we believe is the correct part number(s) to actually make a plug to connect this thing up to the IOx and my "local" - local means 25 miles away from where I live in rural Suffolk - VW agent should have the parts in for me 9am tommorow.

Then the fun should begin. :)

Vacuum cleaners on standby.....

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Sounds like fun :)

So we'll need pictures or a video of the setup.

Edited by jbelanger on 18th Oct, 2012.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 18th Oct, 2012 jbelanger said:
So we'll need pictures or a video of the setup.

Jean, that should be no problem...

I have this new (expensive) phone that takes pictures, videos, thousands of other worthless apps (that all work fine) but after 4 days of owning it I still can't actually phone anyone.......

Hopefully the right connector should be in a VW dealer for me to collect tommorow morning.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

happy to help if i can rod .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I've been looking at this for a while, and what concrned me was the lack of any sort of bell mouth on the inlet side of the meter. Mainly it depends where you put it in the inlet tract, but having the air filter clamped right onto it, depending on its construction, might give funny readings.

At the very least check the air filter has a nice curved lead into the meter, like the 57i K&N I bought has.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Couldn't you bite your tongue a bit and go scrap yard and get a genuine on off a car? just to try ?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Robert,

Thanks for the offer, I'll be reading your flowbench thread again tonight then I should have some questions.

Colin,

Initially I would have thought the same but it seems they don't want any sort of a lead in.
My photo doesn't show it because 1/3 of it is in the filter but heres the genuine Bosch picture

As you can see it's flanged to bolt into an airbox and it's own inlet is quite deliberately square (the grids apparently are to try to make the flow as laminar as possible at the measuring venturi).

Now this isn't a one-off, 90% of this range are flanged in some manner (so obviously mount into airboxes) and 100% of the range, even the few that do fit in pipes, have the same square edge and square edged grid.....
I can't explain why, but that 's the way they are.
Unfortunately cramming it into the air filter is the only place I have room.

Chalkie,
After a few hour on many VW/Audi/Seat forums tracking down the connector codes, the consensus was even the Bosch ones don't last much more than 70k miles before they drift or fail. So a high probability that a breakers yard one could be non-genuine or on the way out anyway.

EDIT....

Colin,
One other thing with potential flow restriction - This particular series of meters are in 5 different sizes to cover 5 different flow ranges.
To get the range we wanted (640kg/hr) the physical size of the meter tube bore is ~70mm
My inlet piping is 57mm or 2 1/4" whereas I think most people use 2" so although the inlet profile isn't ideal (but I think that is for a specific reason) it certainly isn't a restriction overall.

Edited by Rod S on 19th Oct, 2012.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Rod, looking at a VAG airbox that takes this sort of MAF sensor, there is clearly a bell mouth built into the box itself, as can be seen in this pic

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Colin, nice pic...

It looks as if the recess where the meter fits may even be stepped to match the bore of the meter.

I'll have a re-think but I'm struggling for space.

Having said that, the grid (as you can see in the Bosch photo) is all square edged - now for a plastic moulding it would have been dead easy to radius those edges ???

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Right Colin, I think it probably is doeable.

Looking down the other way (lousy picture I'm afraid) I think there is enough difference in diameter between the MAF and the inner cone of the filter to put a small bellmouth directly on the MAF.

I'll do some detailed measurements to be sure but I think 3-5mm should be possible. Any more and I couldn't force it through the rubber neck of the filter anyway......

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

As long as it isnt mounted too close to the turbo, I wouldnt be overly concerned.
The airflow within say 150mm of the turbo will be very turbulent.

You arent referencing this to fuel, or for an exact airflow figure. Just to see if it is flowing more, or less.

If you max the unit out, simply fit it into a larger diameter housing. Or use a bypass so all air doesnt flow through the meter.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The lack of a bellmouth on the inlet should not be a particular problem if you calibrate it as an assembly.

The air filter will stabilise inlet conditions and minimise any entry effects that may disturb the velocity profile at the sensor.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MAF
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: