Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > E5TUS - 2023: Some turbo tinkering & Hillclimbing

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Got distracted by an opportunity to attend a days dyno at Janspeed with my dad's hillclimber on Saturday. Main purpose was to select an exhaust system from a hand full of manifolds, mid sections and back boxes. I've only remembered a few of the details and figures but if anyone's interested I'll try and get more info as required...

The engine is a 1380 n/a built by Steve Harris, haven't got the specs to hand but at the start of the day it was fitted with an old Janspeed LCB, 2" mid section with box, 2.5" twin DTM back box. First run gave 86bhp at the wheels and 76.7ft/lb torque.

We played about with various exhaust combinations without changing the manifold. Eventually opting for a 2" twin box centre exit system (Maniflow CLST005B) which saw the biggest gains in power and torque throughout.

Then came the fun! We switched the LCB for a 3 into 1, then a medium LCB (large centre bore), then large LCB and finally a freeflow manifold. We saw slight gains with the 3 into 1 from the original LCB, more again from the medium LCB, a drop with the large LCB and a further drop with the freeflow.

At the end of a long cold day we had opted for the medium LCB (Maniflow CLM004SII) with overall result was 92bhp at the wheels and 82.7ft/lb torque.

Although this meant I didn't get my clutch done on the Mondeo, it did make me want to get mine running and on the rollers asap! It was very interesting to try so many components on the same vehicle.

I have managed to get the loom finished, inlet sorted and breathers done. Everything is starting to go back into the engine bay, now I need to buff up on this megajolt so I can prepare to get her running again!

Stu

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Got everything back in the engine bay, I'm hoping that it doesn't have to come back out for a few miles!

Everything at the rear is done, I don't need the novice x for a national b series but thought at least it's honest if nothing else! Plus I quite like the look.

I'm starting to lose my patience with the steering column shear bolts, need them out so I can refit the dash and it's guts which are currently everywhere inside the car.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Whilst I'm sorting a map out for the ignition I thought I'd get it running on the EDIS in 'limp mode'. Haven't got a spark, bugger!

Checked the wires both ways from the sensor. Sensor is clean and continuity is good for all the wires. I'm getting a voltage reading from both sensor pins on the EDIS, thought I should only have one feed and assumed the other was return??

Thoughts are it could be the EDIS itself, seeing if I can get another to try on mine and/or try mine on a Ford. Now the frustrating process of troubleshooting begins.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

She's running!! .*happy*

EDIS was fine, but acquired a spare in the process. I'd stupidly selected a switched live for my live feed that dropped off when ignition was turned to crank. Obviously not ideal for the ignition system itself!

Very happy, just washer bottle to sort and she's ready for MOT. Time to book a slot for the rolling road and get it all fettled...

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

interesting to read about the janspeed adventure, good luck on your own rolling rd ,experience ,car looks very clean indeed.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

Looks really Nice e5tus :)

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

clubman91

263 Posts
Member #: 8923

North Wales

looking great very tidy.

Mark.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Thanks guys, the end is near but seems to be taking forever. Amazing how all the small jobs keep you so occupied isn't it?

So so close to being ready now, but I've no doubt that it'll consume a few more hours. MOT is hopefully Thursday and rolling road is Friday afternoon.

Already thinking ahead for continued developments... But I have to be mindful of any serious mods due to the class I'll be entering events in. Been reading the blue book (sad I know) and know I can save some weight with composite bonnet and boot and remain "series production". Any other weight loss would have to be fairly stealthy/clever to not contradict the regs. Maybe I should just get some events completed first and that will give me a chance to investigate the competition!

I'll be looking to collect some more engine parts for the next time the engine comes out, but again I should probably be thinking about finishing the current build and looking forward to setting it up on Friday.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Looks great, think you should enjoy as is for now and check out competition like u say, also might just be the way it is in picture but the rear tow strap looks like its just coming from the bumper lip?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

I see what you mean, it is mounted to the subframe but partially tucked up under the rear valance to stop it dragging on the ground.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ahh thats ok then *smiley* just i was imagining some track tractor yanking on the poor old bumper lip :-$

On 3rd Mar, 2015 e5tus said:
I see what you mean, it is mounted to the subframe but partially tucked up under the rear valance to stop it dragging on the ground.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 3rd Mar, 2015 D4VE said:
Ahh thats ok then *smiley* just i was imagining some track tractor yanking on the poor old bumper lip

Here's to hoping I don't need to use them!

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Drove the mini to work yesterday, ready for MOT. So good to be driving her again! Passed too, which is always a treat!

A massive thanks to everyone (most of you won't even realise that you've helped) for all the information I've pillaged from TM. I had put off Megajolting the car for so long as I had assumed it to be a substantial undertaking, asides from taking time to research it thoroughly, it was a relatively painless job.

Originally I loaded the "Turbo A-Series" map from trigger wheels, but it was a bit naff. I've opted for John's map as a baseline, we'll see if it needs any tweaks to suit my build later at Janspeed. Currently debating whether to leave the boost at 7psi or to open up the bleed valve before the trip to the rollers...

Very happy with the way it drove, although I did have a moment keeping it in check when I "accidently" gave it some heavy right foot on one roundabout. Straight cut box, LSD and decent tyres will definitely be required if I want to get reasonable times on the hills and sprints. I'm very much looking forward to using it in its current form, will give me some targets to improve on.

Stu

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Gongrats on the mot pass great feeling of relief isnt it after all them fiddly jobs

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Congrats! Be careful with that map. It has a lot of advance when coming on to boost. Only engine that didn't det with it was the vans! Dunno why the van was so det proof?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Thanks for the heads up John, maybe i'll dial it back a little.

Didn't get on the rollers due a timing issue. I say issue, I was adamant it was correct, however those from the school of experience (not megajolt experience however) did not like the disparity between the timing light and the laptop.

Having now come home disappointed and bemused, I chucked "megajolt timing" in the search on here I see that it is a timing light issue due the wasted spark.

I'm not heading back to check tonight, as I plan to get pissed instead. But tomorrow I will confirm it for sure then mess around with the map. Then I shall arrange another session on the dyno to sort out the fuelling and get some figures.

Stu

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Keep at it. it's worth it in the end.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

It's been painful to get the last few bits done, I'm sure you guys know the feeling. There's always a good reason for avoiding the little jobs. Usually it's a fiddly bastard of a job, or it means undoing and repeating a previous job because I cocked up the order!

Trimmed the front arches and bumper ends to stop them catching on full lock, probably been about five years that I've been meaning to get round to that! Split my oil pressure capillary whilst working under the bonnet, so replaced that with a braided one and updated my gauge to match my others, so that meant dragging the dash back out.

When I'm fixed in the driving position I have a niggling issue, the right-hand lap adjustment sits just inside the seat so digs into my hip. I have tried another harness that will solve this, but budget doesn’t allow an upgrade currently. My current hand me down will do for now, although I know lots of people who don’t favour the seatbelt style release.

Anyway, it's road legal and running well. Opted for the existing needle (maybe a little rich, but better safe than sorry) as I don't think I'll get a chance to visit the Rolling Road before the first sprint.

Plan is to run around ten events this year, unfortunately work and other commitments mean I doubt I'll be able to run any more. I'm leaving it with its current tyres, I hope to have wrecked them by the winter to justify some better ones.

I'll update as the events progress..

Stu

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

10 events, blimey I'll be happy if I can manage 5. Got an entry in for clay pigeon?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 16th Mar, 2015 minimole23 said:
10 events, blimey I'll be happy if I can manage 5. Got an entry in for clay pigeon?

But the weekend events count as two for the championship! Yeah registered for clay. Aiming for two events at clay, gurston and charmouth. Three at wiscombe and then give it everything at combe for the end of the season.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Almost forgot... Ta da!

Helmet will arrive later this week then I've got all the gear and no idea.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Looks good! Think thats the first shot of the whole car ive seen

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Had a good blast last night, certainly lively enough to keep me entertained. Actually I'm still smiling!

This may be a bold statement but I believe I'm out of things on the to-do list. A rather strange feeling, although I feel a 2015/16 winter list slowly generating in my mind!

I have got myself a tidy little trailer for practicality. Although I'd planned to drive to all the events, realistically this wouldn't work, certainly not for weekend events. Also there is every chance that my handiwork will prove unsuccessful or I'll cock up spectacularly and damage the car.

Quick harness question... Minimum length behind driver for shoulder straps before you should cross the straps? Can't see any reference in the blue book, but see below link for what I mean (page 12-13), they suggest 8". I'm guessing I should cross mine as they mount to eyes on the parcel shelf (reinforced with spreader plates)? Any thoughts?

http://www.schroth.com/installation-instru...s/en/index.html

On a different note and neither A-Series or Turbo'd, my old man has picked up this rather nice Triumph Vitesse.

Now I might be showing my age by saying I've never seen one of these in the flesh before, but I was rather impressed when I gave it a once over. It's been off the road for ten years but asides from one perished tyre it went straight through an MOT. Interior is ridiculously clean and I think all it really needs is some elbow grease to bring the paint and chrome back to its former glory.

Looking forward to taking it out, we'll see how many of the 95 horses from the "two-seater beater" are still under the bonnet...

Stu

Edited by e5tus on 19th Mar, 2015.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Had a nice jaunt up to Hertfordshire to pick up the trailer on Saturday. Dropped in on Jonny on the way to pick up his old beam axle for another project. That Minus is awesome, the pics look great but do not provide the full effect. Very impressive!

The trailer is spot on for the mini, well certainly offers a sold basis for what I want. Unfortunately, some ham fisted numpty has spend about 40 seconds welding some shite "modifications" to it. Spend Sunday with the angle grinder undo'ing the worst of it and tidying up the important bits. New jockey wheel ordered and trailer board and it'll get me going.

Took the wife out for a drive, I think she approves of the work... well if that's what "stop driving like that or I wont ever get in the car again..." means, So not co-driver material then!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Took the wife out for a drive, I think she approves of the work... well if that's what "stop driving like that or I wont ever get in the car again..." means, So not co-driver material then![/quote]

Love it!! *Clapping*

Home > Show Us Yours! > E5TUS - 2023: Some turbo tinkering & Hillclimbing
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: