Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > E5TUS - 2023: Some turbo tinkering & Hillclimbing

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Had the weekend at Wiscombe. Baking hot and dry and on Saturday, started to get the hang of the hill. Today was bloody miserable weather. It rained hard until three then did clear up for the final run. Learnt lots during the dry and wet, can't wait to go back in September.

The car was running very well, since the map was fettled by Slarks it's lost a bit of the "violent" feel and is more, refined is the wrong word, balanced? But definitely improving with each change... Well almost each change...

My newly reinstated mechanical fan shat itself on one of the runs

It happened on a particularly vicious downshift into sawbench hairpin, I can only assume that excessive engine movement allowed a temporary interference fit with something and it didn't take kindly to it. Somehow it didn't puncture the rad or beat the crank sensor, the trigger wheel has a pretty good nibble of what remained in the engine bay.

Will investigate the possibility of reinstating the original bottom rad mount so the fan runs in the shroud as its designed to.

On Saturday in the dry I did suffer from clutch slip again, with August free of events for me I'm going to attempt changing to my lightweight pre-verto setup in the car (yet another winter job I just needed an excuse to do!)

Here's hoping I can get the bastard off in situ. Puller has just been ordered...

Stu

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Slarks have that reputation of making cars more driveable, rather than just going for the highest figures they can get

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 27th Jul, 2015 tadge44 said:
Slarks have that reputation of making cars more driveable, rather than just going for the highest figures they can get

You're completely right, I've definitely been able to use more of the power since everything was "smoothed" out.. Well until the clutch started playing silly buggers. Which brings me to...

Stripped it down as far as I could, I'm getting quicker at it! Waiting on the puller to get any further. Although considering pulling it out as it's most of the way there anyways.. We'll see if the flywheel will play ball or not.

Found that it was the fan shroud that interfered with the fan, definitely going to revert to standard top and bottom rad mounts to allow the shroud to do it's job!

Whilst I'm waiting, I'll have a go at lightening the wok whilst it's off.

Stu

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Don't know if this will work, but if you're interested in seeing how an amateur drives Wiscombe... here it is

http://vid154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/...20Timed%201.mp4

Edited by e5tus on 28th Jul, 2015.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

I hold you guys accountable for this...

Strangely satisfying! Can't do bugger all else till the puller turns up.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

The verto thankfully came off without any grief.

Complete verto setup was 10.6kg (23.4lb) and the pre-verto is 6.8kg (15lb). Now waiting on new oil seal before reassembly.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Anyone know where the hell August disappeared to? With more work abroad last month it seemed to take ages to get the car back together. But I did, just in time!

The cause of the fan failure was indeed contact with the shroud. With the modified lower mound moving the radiator out, the fan and shroud could both still move with the engine, but at slightly different rates.

I messed around with some options, initially trying to reinstate the original setup, however when I got the fan clear of the timing cover breather it wouldn't allow fitment of the radiator without interference. Hence, I assume that the water pump fitted last year is wider than the original?? Anyway, I have a solution, albeit temporary. I'll look to mount the rad solidly to the inner wing over the winter.

New clutch and flywheel are great, I've noticed the difference on the road, looking forward to see how it fairs on the hill this weekend. There's a lot more noise with the Holy Wok, but I quite like it.

Now that I have a clutch that can handle power, I'll probably (read definitely) be turning the boost up. I'd like to have a run or two "as is" this weekend, then see if my old crap tyres will warrant any higher boost, or will it just produce tyre smoke and squealing.

This will be the first event this year that is a repeat venue for me, hoping that I can push harder from the start. If anyone's competing or spectating at Wiscombe this weekend, come and say hi!

Looking ahead, I have two sprints in October then it's time to take it all apart again and fit the SC Box and LSD.

Stu

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Have you got a round or squared off breather? the round ones need more spacing out. If its round beat it in a bit, taking care to avoid the timing chain, or I have a spare squared off one somethere.

What diaphram are you running?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

It's a round breather, but always had that with my old water pump and fan without any spacers? It seemed to work well this weekend, and temps were stable. But if you have a spare squared off one, that could be good to get rid of the spacers...

I'm using a grey diaphragm.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Fantastic weather on the south coast this weekend, which provided optimum conditions at Wiscombe. Car ran well this weekend, the new clutch is amazing, bordering on violent. Set a new PB in the second practice session on Saturday but couldn’t make everything work during the timed runs.

Happy with the feel of the clutch and curious to see if power would make an improvement, the inevitable bleed valve fiddling happened on Sunday morning.. Beat the new PB from Saturday on the first run of the day on Sunday. Happy to see the car can keep beating the times, unfortunately operator error usually puts a halt to continuous improvement throughout the day!

As good as all the power is, my times are down on all the other minis. Obviously there are several factors to consider but all signs point to lack of traction; I’m still the only one without a LSD and I’m running 11 year old road tyres.

I’m waiting to see what is decided on tyres in the MSA Regulations before I make the plunge. Discussing with several people at the weekend, the consensus seems to be that they’d take extra grip over extra power any day…

Anyways, a good weekend and the car is still operating (always a bonus) just one more event for me to have completed the minimum for the championship. Next event is in three weeks and back to where the season began. Looking to score a better time so that the additional event this year allows me to drop the very low score from my first event.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

11 years old!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 7th Sep, 2015 D4VE said:
11 years old!

I know, it's only because someone pointed out that they were dated at the weekend that I know this. Everyday's a school day!

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Bollocks to the tyre regs, I'm going to continue using A048'S

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Hi all, been a while.. Firstly, Happy New Year!

Had some technical issues recently, for once not with the car. Killed two phones, a tablet and a laptop over the last few months. I'm finally back online, time for an update…

Completed the remainder of the season without major issue. Finished with two sprints, one at Clay Pigeon and one at Castle Combe. Clay Pigeon is a kart track in Dorset, quite an abrasive surface but a good laugh, was also where I had my first event of the season. It was nice to return having learned quite a bit and with the new clutch setup. I’ve been pushing the car and myself more and more, as such, there has been the occasional squeaky bum moment, but it’s all progress, right? One spin in practice and some borrowed paint from the chicane barrier saw me take 4.88 seconds off my previous best, with plenty more to come if I could just stop spinning the wheels… now where is that diff?

Castle Combe was the 24th October and it pissed it down all weekend. Didn’t really detract from the fun, but it did make Camp Corner particularly interesting! The organising club didn’t give us our own class for the event so I was thrown into the 1400-1800cc Mod Prod Class. Had a handful of 1800 MGF’s and a 1600 Hillman Avenger Tiger to play with, didn’t think I would fare well with my gear ratio and lack of grip.. However, wasn’t far off the pace and took second place in class in the last session with the Avenger Tiger out in front. Happy with that. Turns out that rain is a great leveller!

So first season complete. 10 events under my belt. Plenty of plans for future mods. I won the “novice of the year” award, came first in my class and second in the MCR challenge, that will pay for some much needed tyres for this year.

The straight cut box I had was an early casing with a pre A+ gearset, so although it was a good unit, it wasn't a suitable setup for me. I’ve also decided to go for the Tran X diff over the ATB, so managed to sell the box and diff to generate some funds for a fresh build.

I've been away with work quite a bit and the house has taken up the rest of my time. However, whilst sorting the house I did manage to sneak some new doors and windows on the garage/man cave. Just finished wiring new lights and extra sockets in, replaced the tools that were thieved last year and hoping to actually uncover the car for the first time since October this weekend!

Stu

AlexB
Site Admin

6262 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Great progress :)
Good thread too - I've been reading but always forget to say well done.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Well done on the award!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Congratulations! Do ya get cash award? That old fortech kit brings back memorys, my bro had that kit on his old mini..

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Brilliant write up and an equally good season - well done

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Well done, and great approach it's good to read about people going from dream to reality.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jamestar

489 Posts
Member #: 9159

Devon

Well done on a great result!

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Thanks guys. Hoping that a complete novice having a go might inspire some others to use their cars for what they hoped/dreamed/intended them for!

On the technical side, I know I'm not doing anything remotely as extreme as the majority of builds, but luckily for me, it's all been done before, and is all documented and available on here!

So, I did actually manage to get into the garage, managed to find the car too.. Got some bits and pieces out of the way to allow me to see what I was doing.

And then this came off..

I have never paid much attention to the turbo, the initial engine installation was only supposed to be temporary.. As I don't know the history of the turbo I thought it should probably have some attention. That shitty air pipe has reached the end of it's usable life.. Any ideas on a more robust solution?

The air filter has been sucked in, think I need a less restrictive replacement!

But asides from a cracked exhaust gasket, the old Garrett looks pretty good..

I'm sending it off to have some bits done, looks like the inevitable "Moooore Boooooost!!!" moment has occurred!

So that's all the tinkering done till the new gearbox is finished. Time for a beer methinks.

Stu

AlexB
Site Admin

6262 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

I think just putting a new air pipe will do -merlin motorsport sell the stuff. It's cheap and it works.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 8th Jan, 2016 D4VE said:
That old fortech kit brings back memorys, my bro had that kit on his old mini..

That car is a real Marmite car, but quick. My dad has been competing in it for the last two years. It's not a show car, but works where it counts. My old man went out to get a door for mine when I was first sorting the bodywork about 12 years ago and came back with that.

A bodyshop owned it and had done the flip front, kit, rear rad, de-seaming and half doors, then once they got it running someone stole it. It was recovered a week later but had been somewhat abused and they didn't fancy finishing it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but had a full cage and the front makes it easy to work on. Not bad for a grand!

NA 1380 with twin SU's in it, it's lap and hill times are my target!

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Not tempted to lob a gt17 on there while its apart? That would probably help at places like wiscombe. That said, its all worked well this season, so maybe don't mess around with it until you break it!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

The airfilter does look clogged up.... maybe it needs a good clean...

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Home > Show Us Yours! > E5TUS - 2023: Some turbo tinkering & Hillclimbing
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: