Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Josh's turbo 1098cc carburetion sucks lets try EFI

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

well i had a another go at melting some alu brazing rods into the rad no luck i couldn't get the inside of the tubes clean enough for the rod to stick so i cut the dam thing in half !

it was a dual pass rad and now its a single.. the thing was to big anyways so it seemed a good idea to chop it up the guts and tig some plates on the end tanks where the alu is thick enough to weld

so some more grate things happened the band saw blade broke while cutting the rad so i grabbed the jigsaw and got the job finished but then while getting the end tanks squared up and nice for the plates to be cut the fucking belt broke on the sander....

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

all bloody right then the rad situation is sorted the modification plate is sorted and passed so shes proper legal now gotten some 12" A048s under it with the true magnesium wheels from way back in the day when minis where everywhere they are popper light and i think look wicked just foolin around at the moment but ill get my license back soon so be able to enjoy life again...

the local tuning shop said they dont want anything to do with megga squirt so fuck that for an idea now i gotta fine someone that will tune it...

tryin to find someone to sort the suspension geometry no one want to touch it so looks like ill be trying it my self but not sure what equipment to buy so thats shitty

its like no one wants you to have a classic mini what the fuck why whont anyone work on them...

its frustrating that you want to give out cash to a company that suposidly works on any car but whats nothin to do with your car makes you want to say nah fuck it sell the thing and get some common pice of crap that everoyone has and then every asshole will want to work on it bull shit its like they thing you shouldent have such a car and just refuse because they are that kinda person...

argh! so the wheels stick out about an inch to much on the front maby something to do with the disc brake conversion? as the rea sits nicely under the folded lip? so guess ill be getting some thin flares to sort the front and maby some thin spacers to bring the rea out to look more equal to the front as in the distance it sits under the flare i donno yet i just wish the front sat in that little bit more so i didnt need flears at all i like the look that way

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

Any tyre place should be able to sort it out really ( as in alignment )

You just have to find one where they had owned a mini at some point :) over here that is about everybody over 50.

Edited by Sir Yun on 27th Mar, 2016.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

well got the tie rod bushings in also matched the length of each rod just so i know there equal

sorted the rad and coolant lines ended up dumping the 1" alu one piece line idea to much fucking around for what its worth so what i ended up with was inch and a quarter 1.6mm wall steel mandrel bent lines left over from the manifold with rubber bends just some randome coolant hose from the auto shop that fit cut n shunt its all in and looks half ok but most inportantly no leaks and it was a breaze to fill and blead the air kinda makes me qustion if the factory thermostat houseing is big enugh on the outlet? eather way it should do fine

seems ive got a missfire or something going on as the idle has gone all shitty useto idle fine at like 900 now its struggleing at 1200 i pulled the plugs for a quick compression test and all is good there so looked at the plugs kinda look a bit chaffed up but i can see clearly where the spark is jumping as its clean at the arc gap my only guess at this point is the fuel and the 400-1 two stroke mix ive been useing it was doing fine donno ive drained the fuel and will try some fresh stuff with out any oil mix ill also grab a fresh set of plugs

current plugs look a bit crappy i did run some unledded in it on the E85 needle so way rich for std fuel

the two stroke mix is just to help the upper cylinders and valves out along side keeping the E85 from sticking the needle n seat in the bowl being suck a weak mix im not sure it could have an influince on the idle but maby it dose who knows

fresh fuel n plugs are the easy things to try after that im stuck

got some cheep flares on just gotta whack that 1/4" spacers on the rea to bring the wheels out that little bit to match the front also raised the mini a touch was kinda low low.. got an angle gauge on the drive shafts and its a few degrese off horizantal for now that will do

wait n see how the road worthy goes slap some rego on it and get started on haveing it set up by a pro

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

2 stroke in a petrol turbo is a bad idea, the oil kills the octane rating.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

come on give us some photos.. you've had your fair share of setbacks , so make yourself feel better by making us jealous.... keep at it.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

not sure tom i dont want to start anything but im sure there are rotary engines with 30 plus pound with out issue maby its different for them?
i dunno ill go back to straight alcohol and see if the problem goes away if it dose we know its the oil mix

the car its self is ugly its in need of fresh paint so not much to show off ill see to a pic or two later once its on the road the our nabours are shit n the police man says not to take that car down the road again with out rego so best i dont do that no more

the car runs just fine on the mix its just the idle thats gone to shit im sure ill get to the bottom of it but for now i need my licence back and rego on the mini witch will all happen in less that two weeks

benjy_18

105 Posts
Member #: 9378
Advanced Member

Chobham

Josh the rotaries get away with the 2stroke mix because of their funny design, the oil in the mis goes straight to the walls and doesn't mess with the octane so much, they only use it to lubricate the rotor tips. The newer renesis engines in the rx-8 actually drips engine oil into the cylinders!!!!!

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

that adds up its not really a atmised mix in the fuel but a big drop that gets flug out to the walls where its needed
also i probably should have done this first but i let the fuel pump drain the tanks into 20L cans and then i took a sample and let it sit.. two days later its clear that the oil falls out of the E85 fuel and sits at the bottom of the tank waiting to get sucked up by the pick up

opps..

still need to get some fresh plugs and fuel but im now sure thats the problem the oil just gumming the plugs up as before i started useing two stroke mix (400:1) the plugs looked nearly brand new evan after hours of running time at quite rich lambda ratios

so ill just have to go back to not letting the car sit for more than a week or the needle n seat stick i gues this whont be such an isue once its on the road again as then its more insensitive to drive it

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

well road worthy tomorrow and possibly take a sick day Monday as main roads are closed over the w/e so all should be good
i hope and i can get some proper road testing done and see if it goes BANG! in the first 24 hours well i hope not..

ive been messing around back n forth with the front suspension geometry and its well close enugh i think for now if the car dosent have any problems ill see to haveing some one mini related do the alignment on it and hopefully i can fine someone willing to tune it properly as i really cant be arsed and id rather just know its done by a mini pro and its gonna be just fine to drive and enjoy..

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

well its registered
its not happy when on boost.. ive filed the shit out of the mid to lower end of the needle and i cant get enugh fuel to flow its around the 1-1.2 lambda so not any good im going to keep fileing but there may not be any needle left

possibly the reg isnt doing its job not sure

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

so just tested the regulator and its adding pound for pound so its not the issue..
tomorrow ill check that plenum to carb gasket is correct and that the bowl vent is getting the same pre plenum pressure as the reg ect
aside from that i may drain the fuel and go back to premium unleaded to see if its related to the type of fuel if so than its most likely i need to keep making the needle thinner but for what im removing to what its showing on the wide band its really not adding up and the fact that the wide bands are all over the place and not just a steady lean condition

what i do know is that its frustrating as hell being so close to just enjoying the dam car again..

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Those wideband readings are hard to believe !!!
Which controller(s) are you using, different makes have slightly different max and min values, and it looks like your "max" value might be the limits you have set in MLV but you are pretty close to bouncing between absolute minimum and absolute maximum readings (based on what most controllers can read between) and most engines simply won't run at those extremes.
The two readings are broadly in step with each other but no consistency of which one is the higher, sometimes red, sometimes white.
How have you got them configured in TS ?

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i have no idea rod where do i look to check

i was thinking similar things when looking at the logs myself but just put it to the fueling being so far of that some times the cylinder would fire and cause a lean mix and sometimes it would mis and cause a rich mix in the exhaust so to speak as the car surges like crazy once it sees like 2-3 pound

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

an easy thing to try that i havent yet is to just pull a boost line off and see its its boost related or what

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

If you get a misfire due to an overly rich mixture, a wideband will show a lean spike.

So spikey readings are hard to interpret. They may look lean but may actually be rich. Especially as a lot of your "lean" spikes follow a rich reading.

Does it feel like it's misfiring ?

If it is misfiring (for whatever reason) the wideband readings will be rubbish.

Post your msq for the settings.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

100% jerks and kicks when passing that 2-3 pound range

how do i upload a file? i clicked manage attachments in the top right of the post where the pm and edit buttons are and tried to upload it but no good

Edited by Turbo This.. on 12th May, 2016.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

try again

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

try again

trying to upload as a zip file and it says ignoring upload file ? and in the manage uploads thing i select the file and hit upload and it goes to no files to up load

the readings on the wide bands match what TS shows for instantaneous read outs like looking at the dash gauges and then in TS while trying to drive the car they are the AEM ones if that matters

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

up load thing still whont work lame

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

ok so checked out the carb hoses and i think they are fine

the reg is onto the plenum the black hose

the bowl is looped upto the carb where the passage way goes to the plenum the blue hose

i also pushed about 5 psi threw all the ports on the carb and plenum to check they are clear

so i took the boost line off right at the turbo and let it be NA and took it for a run and the stumble was gone but the fueling is still shitty but its not quite as bad so im thinking its a needle set up issue?

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

ok so i found my tin of su needles and its now useing an AAU witch is a 0.090" needle in the 0.100" jet tube this is giveing me an extremely rich idle that i want to lean out atm its about 0.75 id like it to be somewhere 0.95-1

as for driving and under boost now its a lot better only stumble/jerking when you get it up in the revs and closer to the 10 pound range so i might try to gently polish a tinny bit of the needle as i think i was just taking far to much before

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

well im making progress on the fueling still lean on boost but i just dont what to go and take to much off once its gone its gone..

so ive got a BDD on order as that one has a good idle at 1 - 1.1 and good cruse/low throttle % mixture under 15-20 inches vacuum but it goes so lean it whont run once you open te throttle and it gets anywhere near boost so im thinking ill merge the two ill take a brand new BDD and the AAU that ive been polishing and combine the two from what ive been seeing its a nice fat top on the needle that quickly goes really thin and stays thin to nearly nothing on the end

also the clutch is slipping a lot its a grey plate and AP plate once its at about 7 pound it just hits the limiter i can lift off and gently roll it back on and it will grab again but its crap as i want to run 20-25 pound

any suggestions for the clutch??

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

im at a loss as to witch wide band i should believe im thinking maby i sould weld a bung in like 6" after the turbo and stick them in there just to get an avrage and to make it easyer to follow and just stay on the richer side of things to be safe than once its close go back to dual widebands before the turbo its just this fuel i think thats such a pain as its not just a case of coppy what everyone else dose but to figure it out the car did run good on ULP but slightly rich everywhere but that same needle dose idle but its lean as once your off idle so needs sliming down just a guessing game to find where and how much for the alcohol fuel

Home > Show Us Yours! > Josh's turbo 1098cc carburetion sucks lets try EFI
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: