Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Josh's turbo 1098cc carburetion sucks lets try EFI

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i don't know about that there is a light patch in that region.. haha i don't superpose anyone knows where to find a new 1098cc crank?

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

On 25th Apr, 2013 Turbo This.. said:
i don't superpose anyone knows where to find a new 1098cc crank?

On the shelf with the rocking horse shit.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

why dosent anyone make new blocks and stuff for minis? after all they are a fearly common car now days also why dosent med or swiftune put 998 1098 1275 on the listing for pistons? crap all info given yet im sure they whould be pisted off when you order it and want it swaped... all that is needed is say 1098cc +0.020" STD pin height flat or what ever dish size a bit about the rings and design like slipper skirt or full so on why make things hard hell this is why the VW s are so much better design on the motors they are simple its just blody frustrateing trying to find parts with next to no info on what the hell it is going to fit i cant read minds

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

There are a hell of a lot more Hitler wagons out there than minis. Hence the better availability of parts.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

loads of parts here in the uk just give me a shout!

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i do agree with more vw than minis i thing that there is plenty enough minis around to make new quality engine parts blocks cranks so on if i could buy a new block that was more refined than the factory ones for a fair price i would in the blink of an eye

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

In all honesty, a new block would probably set you back at least a grand.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Yep plenty of old shonk about that can be bored/linered/bored again.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i agree but woulent it be nice to have a new castings with 5 mains and much larger capacity ? after all there is NO substitute for cubic capacity a turbo is just a last resort to more power ..

well the VW did not sell so ive booked the road worthy bloke in for Wednesday so ill put 6 months on it drive it witch ive been hanging out to do and sell it on the road with another motor as well witc h im in the midle of building up from 3 motors its going to be a new ish motor the crank and rods are good and true just need shells and the pistons, rings, bores, heads didn't blow smoke last time so ill assemble it with that stuff and see what hapends thats the buty of air coolds so long as the bottom end is good top end dont matter its easy nto swap out pistons/bores or heads the rods can be changed with the case together so long as a crank grind is not needed the oil pump can be changed only haveing to take the front pully off air cooleds are a brilent engin! if i can get one in a mini i will! getting off topic it will be a while till i first finish the motor and second sell the car regested and with two motors so the mini has to wait more or less i have how ever started to sort out the melted wireing harnes and the locks and might eaven paint the engin bay while its emty ill keep posting as i make progress on things both funding the mini and the mini its self

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Why are all you Aussies obsessed with having a 5 bearing block? Lol

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

longer bearing life most of our driving is 80-120kph over here hence the poor old mini only lasting 3 years it spent its life in the 4000-6000 rpm range for a car designed to drive in narrow back ally lanes at what 50kph and less with the occasional highway burst i think it did well but to adapt the mini to Aussie roads i think the diff really needs to be taller but not so tall your slipping the clutch massively to get moving also i think everything done to help the thing hold together at the top end for stained time frames is a good thing

my pop once told me that the ford transport vans at some time or another had problems with the English built diffs blowing up it was simply that the diff was built for English roads and climate not for the Aussie climate so they just couldn't take the extra stress over hear faster roads and hotter weather

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

So how many main bearings does a VW Bug have? :)

Seriously, I find the Swiftune piston page to be very easy to read and understand. What is it that is hard to find here?

http://www.swiftune.com/Category/60/pistons.aspx

When that is said, I don't see their forged 1098 pistons anymore...

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

vw type ones have 4 mains although the front is smaller the big bore stuff is clear in common over bores but 998 and 1098 are left in the dark ?

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i dono maby ive just cough the "bug" i love the engines just plug n play they are kinder crude but effective mind you they drive like crap dont bother trying to turn corners with any speed

i whouldent mind putting a 2332cc air cooled with an IRS gearbox n reversed diff center to make a mid engine mini lot of messing round tho and then its nether mini nor vw

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I find average speeds in the UK higher than OZ TBH, the Motorway here is 70mph which is 110kph and really people do quite a bit more than that. It really down to the time the Mini was built for, not the place, things were slower in the '50s/'60s.

On 29th Apr, 2013 Turbo This.. said:
longer bearing life most of our driving is 80-120kph over here hence the poor old mini only lasting 3 years it spent its life in the 4000-6000 rpm range for a car designed to drive in narrow back ally lanes at what 50kph and less with the occasional highway burst i think it did well but to adapt the mini to Aussie roads i think the diff really needs to be taller but not so tall your slipping the clutch massively to get moving also i think everything done to help the thing hold together at the top end for stained time frames is a good thing

my pop once told me that the ford transport vans at some time or another had problems with the English built diffs blowing up it was simply that the diff was built for English roads and climate not for the Aussie climate so they just couldn't take the extra stress over hear faster roads and hotter weather

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i think your right jay

braad

140 Posts
Member #: 10115
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia

Why do you need a new 1098 crank?

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 29th Apr, 2013 Turbo This.. said:
vw type ones have 4 mains although the front is smaller the big bore stuff is clear in common over bores but 998 and 1098 are left in the dark ?

Sure? I'd count again :)

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i need a new or at least not cracked crank i have two or them badly cracked if i get a new one its not going to be cracked is my thinking?

im 100% air cooled vws have 4 mains the one closest to the front pully is how ever smaller but still a main bearing

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

has anyone had experience with the cam belt drive setups form minimania?
http://www.minimania.com/part/C-AJJ3326RAC...j-Plastic-Cover

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Ask Joe about cam belts *wink*

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I was tempted by this kit a while back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-MINI-UKP...=item1e5933d8ee

Ended up just going duplex vernier though

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Silly cambelts....

you have to watch out for cheap shonky cam belts, otherwise you might bend all your valves and pushrods and knacker your rods and pistons.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i see med or swifty dont make a kit
I hope that didn't happen to you joe?
sounds nasty if things go bad but is that due to the crappy belts or mechanical things like the adjustment slipping?
i see mm do a Kevlar belt for the kit supost to be better?
i seen it and agree with the whole belts are better for valve terrain life given belt changes are done
i do have a nice double row one that came out of the last build 3 years of abuse but im concerned of its condition is there a way to check?
maby some one makes a decant non adjustable belt kit id be happer to spend time setting it up with keys than have it change its self lol

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

found this recomended/ pointed out by sprocket
http://www.shengineering.co.uk/sh/content/...timing-belt-kit

edit: looks a lot better design std oil seal sizes split cover plate belt tensor looks like there is a crank/cam sensor in the last pic?

Edited by Turbo This.. on 28th May, 2013.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Josh's turbo 1098cc carburetion sucks lets try EFI
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: