Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Piston bore clearance

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Hi this is my Turbo build which is almost finished. I have a nagging doubt over the piston to bore clearance at the top of the pistons. I can press my thumbs on top of the pistons and they rock from side to side a little. Using two sets of feeler gauges, I can get a nine thou feeler down the left side of the piston and nine thou down the opposite side as far down as the top ring. I know this ain't the best way of measuring, but it's all I've got.

Fresh+20 block and omega +20 forged piston supplied by MED.
Bore to piston clearance = 4 thou measured near piston skirt
Ring gap= 12 thou
Bore size = 2.8 inch

Bore to piston clearance measured at the top of the piston is 9 thou. Is this normal? I realise pistons are not supposed to be perfectly round. I've asked med about this, they said it would be fine but I would like a second opinion
Cheers
Daz

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

What you see and measure at the crown can mean nothing.

Clearance can only be measured at the skirt, as pistons are generally tapered towards the crown.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

A Stevie says, clearance at the crown isn't really meaningfull as some pistons have masses of clearance above the top ring.

However, 4 thou at the skirts seems rather large for a road engine, new build.

Who bored the block, and did they have a new piston to measure accurately, and did you specify the clearance you wanted (any decent shop would ask for a piston for them to measure themselves and ask you what clearance you wanted) ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

So, good news then regarding the clearance at the top of the pistons.
MED bored the block and supplied the pistons all together. Iirc when I measured the clearance at the skirt, 4 thou was on the upper limit for a forged piston.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Another double post, bloody ipad

Edited by dazibee on 20th Jan, 2013.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

piston clearance should be measured at the bottom as in the pic below.... if its mesured under the gudgeon pin it will be different,

9 though at the top isn't suprising, in fact thats tighter than a lot i've seen.

a lot of people leave forged pistons baggy as they are suposed to expand a lot with heat, modern forged pistons are pretty good so this isnt the case so much these days,

Edited by Joe C on 20th Jan, 2013.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Jawd

126 Posts
Member #: 10212
Advanced Member

Sleaford Lincolnshire

Daz if MED machined the bores and supplied the pistons as they are with mine then your good to go mate.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

It actually was a nine thou blade down the top left and another down the top right, so is that nine thou clearance or 18?

On 20th Jan, 2013 Joe C said:
piston clearance should be measured at the bottom as in the pic below.... if its mesured under the gudgeon pin it will be different,

9 though at the top isn't suprising, in fact thats tighter than a lot i've seen.

a lot of people leave forged pistons baggy as they are suposed to expand a lot with heat, modern forged pistons are pretty good so this isnt the case so much these days,

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

thats 18, but tbh its not unexpected,

clearances at the top can be hooooge

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

4 thou sounds good to me, if thats the clearance measured the way joe has shown, and not at the crown of the piston.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I put the Accralites in at 0.002" clearnace as the bore grows as it 'breaks in' but as Joe says, modern materials and manufacture of forged pistons don't require such large clearancies as they used to.

One thing appears to be apparent with MED, they like to run their engines with a baggy fit when their cranks bearing clearancies are sized near double as well!

Edited by Sprocket on 21st Jan, 2013.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

minimole23

4303 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 21st Jan, 2013 Sprocket said:

One thing appears to be apparent with MED, they like to run their engines with a baggy fit when their cranks bearing clearancies are sized near double as well!

A respected engine builder said to me recently better too loose then too tight when I queried him about a clearance that seemed a little large. Which while maybe not optimum will at least make sure nothing binds up.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

So.. Now happy with the clearance at the top of my pistons, tis normal. Regarding the actual skirt clearance, I spoke to a guy at Omega the other day who said for my pistons I need a bore size of 71.12 mm / 2.800 in. Bought myself a dial bore gauge and measured my bores to be 71.1238 mm or 2.80015 in, 1.5 thou larger than Omega specified. Hope this will be alright.

Edited by dazibee on 27th Jan, 2013.

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

That'll be absolutely fine. +or- 20/30 degrees C would see a difference of a thou in bore. *oh well*

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

0.15 thou?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

matty

8297 Posts
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

1.5 tho as its .80015 the last digit is going into 10ths. *wink*

Edited by matty on 28th Jan, 2013.

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

jakejakejake1

293 Posts
Member #: 10010

Northants

Isn't .80015 equal to 800.15 thou?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

0.0 .......... Tens

0.00 ...... Hundreds

0.000 ....... Thousandths

0.0000 ....... Tenths of one thousandth

0.00000 ....... Hundredths of one thousandth

0.00015 is fifteen hundredths of one thousandth or 0.15 thousandth

that's less than a gnats dick

Edited by Sprocket on 28th Jan, 2013.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 27th Jan, 2013 dazibee said:
So.. Now happy with the clearance at the top of my pistons, tis normal. Regarding the actual skirt clearance, I spoke to a guy at Omega the other day who said for my pistons I need a bore size of 71.12 mm / 2.800 in. Bought myself a dial bore gauge and measured my bores to be 71.1238 mm or 2.80015 in, 1.5 thou larger than Omega specified. Hope this will be alright.

my omega's went in at 2.800 and that gave me 2.5 thou skirt clearance according to my notes and there is 2.5-3 thou noted on there too, i had to chase around MED/ OMEGA when having my block honed as my machine shop had the arse on so i assume this is the med/omega recommended clearances
also my notes say the crown is 70.45mm dia that gives about 26thou clearance @ the crown

edited because the [-][/-] strike through does not seem to work

Edited by Brett on 28th Jan, 2013.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I wrote this down wrong. My bore measured at 2.8 inch plus 1.5 thou. So this is 2.8015 inch or 71.16mm. Sorry for the confusion

On 27th Jan, 2013 dazibee said:

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Piston bore clearance
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: